Internet Access while on the Road

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
W

Weewun

I just found out that our Winter CG in Miami has discontinued  ComCast as their Cable provider and are now using Direct TV.  I have always used ComCast as my Internet Provider.  The CG's WiFi is totally inadequate.

I have been trying to research an alternative and am totally confused.  We use the internet for email, shopping, banking and browsing.

I need help with what to get in the way of equipment and data plans.  I want to be able to continue using my router (Linksys) to maintain connectivity with my current devices.  We do travel across the nation during the summer and have always relied on CG WiFi, would like to become independent.  Our cellular service is with Verizon.

I know this has been covered before but my searches were fruitless (prior posts seem to be device specific).  I need to invest and build a new Internet access system.  Thks for your help.

Here are 2 articles from the forum library on just that topic:

http://www.rvforum.net/joomla/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=28:internet-access-for-the-rver&catid=14:newcomers-need-to-know&Itemid=45

http://www.rvforum.net/joomla/index.php?option=com_weblinks&view=weblink&id=25:inetonroad&catid=58:newcomersweblinks

Also, a search of the forum, specifically in this board, on internet access should turn up numerous previous discussions.  Your best bet is probably cellular from Verizon, since you're already a VZW customer, but you'll have to replace your Linksys router with one that accepts a cellular data modem or get a smartphone with data plan and the hot spot feature.

If you have a current smart phone you can add the wifi hotspot feature for 30 dollars a month, or a dollar a day.  Or get a MIFI router for your internet.

I appreciate your input and am still confused.  The VZW 4G Hotspot allows 5 wireless devices but is limited to a distance of 30' (per VZW) so should I get a VZW 4G USB modem and a CradlePoint router (we like to sit outside).

Should I get some sort of external Antenna for the hotspot or 4G modem??

We will be using one Laptop, one Wireless Printer, three Kindles and two Ipads.

What I am asking is what is the ideal setup to include specific device types where possible.  Also should I get the 5GB or 10GB plan.

Your input will be appreciated and I would like to get this setup before I leave for FL. thks.

weewun said:
so should I get a VZW 4G USB modem and a CradlePoint router (we like to sit outside).

Walt

I'd say so. I have the VZ USB 551L and Cradlepoint MBR 95. When there is a strong signal, our setup performs as well as our cable system at home and far better than any campground package. At the same time, if you are in a CG with free, good wifi, the Cradlepoint works as a good hotspot saving you overage on the VZ plan.

Should I get some sort of external Antenna for the hotspot or 4G modem??

I haven't found a lower priced antenna that makes any difference, and I don't believe that the hotspot supports an external antenna. You'd have to spend the bucks for a good Wilson package. 4G external antennae are very rare. As long as we were on well populated routes, we found decent signals on the VZ network. Miami should have excellent signals for you.

We will be using one Laptop, one Wireless Printer, three Kindles and two Ipads.

That's why you want the router not the hotspot.

Also should I get the 5GB or 10GB plan.

You didn't say how much usage you consume. We have 2 computers accessing the internet but don't download music or videos. We have never gone over 5GB. If you do, each GB only costs an additional $10/month.

Bernie and George, thks for the input, am going to research your suggestions.  Will report back.

I have the 3G Mifi and it provides wifi all around our campsite - and usually the neighboring ones as well. Range is actually quite good.

If you need to have ALL those devices connected to wifi at the same time (even if dormant), then you need something that handles more devices than the Mifi, which is limited to 5 at any one time.

I'm a heavy internet user and rarely exceed 3.5GB per month, but I don't download much video at all (that's what we have satellite tv for). If you are a frequent You-tube viewer or use Hulu, Vudu, etc. to get movies, then you will want the 10 GB plan. Or maybe even more.

I use the Samsung SCH-LC11A Verizon 4G hotspot.  The latest firmware would let you think that it accepts up to 98 users, but I tried this morning and can only connect 5.  This is not a problem for me though.

I use this device as my only internet connection and normally 2-3 GB is all that I use in a month.  About 3 days into the billing cycle this month my usage jumped from 300 MB one day to over 8 GB.  I wasn't even using either of the two desktops that were connected.  One of them (my wife's) had 4 or 5 instances of Firefox running on something like finance.yahoo.com.  Verizon did send emails warning of 50%, 75% and 100% usage all in about 4 or 5 hours.  I didn't get the emails to turn off the hot-spot because I wasn't at a computer.  I called Verizon and they didn't know what happened but would credit my account with $40 overage that had accrued at that point.  Who knows what happened.  I scanned both PCs for viruses and found none.  Hopefully this won't happen again.

Anyway, the 4G hotspot works well even though it runs in 3G mode most of the time since I'm not near a 4G  city.

I agree with Bernie and if you have all those components you'll be a lot happier than using a hotspot alone. Think of the hotspots as devices for professionals or travelers that want nothing more than to connect a few laptops close by. When you start involving things like printers going with a full fledged router is going to offer more flexibility and allow you to connect more devices too.

Bernie, I have taken your advice and ordered the VZ USB Modem551LTE from VZ and the CradlePoint MBR95 from Amazon.  Am anxious for them to get here.

Is there anything I need to look out for during installation??

Thks everyone for your input.

Walt

Nope, you have a good system. Everything should work fine out of the box unless your signal is very weak. Then you may have to force 3G mode only to keep everything working right. Easy to do once you get the hang of it, VZ tech support helps quite a bit.

I've followed this thread with interest, but refrained from commenting until Walt received enough advice to make a decision on his needs.

Now I need to ask if anyone has any experience or sage advice to offer someone who only requires "on the Road" internet access for periods of a month or two, maybe two times a year?  I currently use a VZ phone tethered to my laptop when on the road.  I can call VZ and have the feature turned on/off as often as necessary and the cost is $50 per month for 5GB.  This has worked well for me in the past, but is limited to the single device connection AND there is no guarantee that VZ will continue to provide this level of service or support for my old phone.  It would also be nice to have the capability to attach a second laptop.

I haven't yet jumped into the "Smart Phone" world, and have absolutely NO interest in a data plan available only to the phone.  So, Internet access via PC is what I'm interested in, but I need to know how to avoid duplicate or overlapping services, for economic reasons.

Thanks in advance for any and all advice.
lou

I think you already have the best solution for your needs, Lou.  You might be able to tether the phone to a router, though. Cradlepoint supports some phone models on various routers and an older router might handle your older phone.

Just Lou said:
I've followed this thread with interest, but refrained from commenting until Walt received enough advice to make a decision on his needs.

Now I need to ask if anyone has any experience or sage advice to offer someone who only requires "on the Road" internet access for periods of a month or two, maybe two times a year?  I currently use a VZ phone tethered to my laptop when on the road.  I can call VZ and have the feature turned on/off as often as necessary and the cost is $50 per month for 5GB.  This has worked well for me in the past, but is limited to the single device connection AND there is no guarantee that VZ will continue to provide this level of service or support for my old phone.  It would also be nice to have the capability to attach a second laptop.

I haven't yet jumped into the "Smart Phone" world, and have absolutely NO interest in a data plan available only to the phone.  So, Internet access via PC is what I'm interested in, but I need to know how to avoid duplicate or overlapping services, for economic reasons.

Thanks in advance for any and all advice.
lou

Hi Lou,

I too need to watch my expenses. We use the old Verizon America's Choice plan (use phone minutes for internet time), with a re-addressed LG VX8350 phone (EVDO) to get on the internet. To supplement that service, I installed an Ubiquity NanoStation2 to reach out and connect with weak WiFi signals. I posted an article on another forum (GASP!), about my project. Here is a link to that article.
http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/23833682.cfm

Richard

I'm surprised you are able to get EVDO internet service and still use MOU (minutes of use) for data. Verizon stopped MOU for EVDO service a long time ago and now demands a paid data plan. If it is working for you, you are sneaking by under their radar somehow. You can, however, still use 1xrtt data service with MOU.

Gary RV Roamer said:
I'm surprised you are able to get EVDO internet service and still use MOU (minutes of use) for data. Verizon stopped MOU for EVDO service a long time ago and now demands a paid data plan. If it is working for you, you are sneaking by under their radar somehow. You can, however, still use 1xrtt data service with MOU.

Gary,

Verizon didn't stop America's Choice MOU at EVDO speeds. Those of us that continued to use the plan are grand fathered as long as we pay the bill. They did re-address all the new phones with EVDO to a different file server so we couldn't use them on America's Choice. All the newer phones go to (your phone#)@dun.vzw3g.com. The America's choice file server is (your phone#)@vzw3g.com. Some of Verizon's phones can be re-addressed if you know how to get inside the phone's hidden menus. Thus I have been using America's Choice MOU on my 8350 for over 3 years, at EVDO speeds. Verizon knows it. I meet their TOS. The rumor was spread that once you got a new phone with EVDO, you lost your America's Choice plan. NOT true. You just lost the ability to go to the correct file server. Nothing sneaky about it.  Just a little thinking outside the box.

Richard

Virgin mobile has a MiFi 2200 hot spot that is pay as you go, after you buy the Mifi 2200 itself.  Other than that there is no contract.

cliston said:
Virgin mobile has a MiFi 2200 hot spot that is pay as you go, after you buy the Mifi 2200 itself.  Other than that there is no contract.

Unfortunately, Virgin Mobile has NO coverage on the Outer Banks of North Carolina. :(

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom