Internet Access while on the Road

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Like Lou, I only need have the internet in the motorhome for a few weeks at a time and have been doing the same as he does, with Verizon.  I could have written this post.  I've been considering a Mifi so we can use 2 laptops. So what  does the cradelpoint router do, why is it helpful with the Mifi? I'm thinking a  better range? And how is that different than a Linkseys I have in the house.  (I happen to have an extra Linkseys router)  I haven't bothered with the Mifi because I had to sign up for a plan and pay even if we weren't traveling.  I have cable internet at home right now, but we may full time next year so I want to be prepared.  I find this to be the most confusing subject.  I know I've asked questions on this before.  I'm sorry if I'm being repetitious.

Thanks again for everyone's wonderful help!
JoAnn

JoAnn, I received my VZ USB Modem (VZ USB 551l) and CradlePoint Router (MBR95) yesterday and they installed quite easily.  I opted to go With Bernie's advised system because of the strength of the WiFi signal, 30' for the MiFi and 750' for the CradlePoint as well as the number of devices shareable on the WiFi Network (32 for the CradlePoint vs. 5 for the MiFi).

We have become dependant upon WiFi and like to sit outside with our IPAD's and Kindles and the CradlePoint has the power to do this.  We also have a Wireless Printer that we take with us.

It is our intention, assuming all works well this Winter, to use this system to replace our Landline phone and DSL when we return so we needed the extra power of the CradlePoint to provide whole house WiFi.

An added advantage of the CradlePoint is that it is 3G and 4G capable as well as the ability to have a Guest channel so that people using your WiFi are linked to your equipment.

I am starting with the 5Gbyte Broadband plan and will adjust with experience.

Bernie and all, thks for the advice and patience. 

Jim and I have talked about doing exactly that when at home.  Our cell service where we live isn't so great right now, drops calls if you move out of the livingroom :(  I'm assuming the Mifi would do the same without a cradelpoint. 

Please keep me posted on how it goes.  We are going to Florida for about 2 months this Jan.  We'll see how it goes. :D
Thanks!

JoAnn

The CradlePoint is not going to help with the VZ signal.

We have the same problem with Cell Phone signal and had to install an external ant and PreAmp, helped a lot.  Was surprised that the USB Modem (which contains an internal antenna) picked up 3 Bars and seems to be working quite well.  It is installed on the 2nd floor of the house which might make a difference.  In the meantime, I am going to be researching an external antenna/preamp for 3G/4G availability. 

Walt; you're welcome

JoAnn; I'm not sure about the MiFi but with the MBR95, you can set it up as a hotspot to work off local WiFi networks as well as the modem so that you can reduce data usage on your VZ plan. You can also hard wire computers and accessories (the MBR95 has 4 ethernet ports) so it they don't have a WiFi card you still can be connected.

weewun said:
The CradlePoint is not going to help with the VZ signal.

We have the same problem with Cell Phone signal and had to install an external ant and PreAmp, helped a lot.  Was surprised that the USB Modem (which contains an internal antenna) picked up 3 Bars and seems to be working quite well.  It is installed on the 2nd floor of the house which might make a difference.  In the meantime, I am going to be researching an external antenna/preamp for 3G/4G availability.
I use a Verizon MiFi (3g only) for home and travel.  Our home is located about 4 miles from a tower, but is in a wee bit of a hole with a hill between us and the tower.  Signal strength is typically 1-2 bars on my pay-as-you-go cell phone and the MiFi was typically in and out of EVDO, frequently switching to 1xRTT.  I fought this problem for quite some time.  I then bought a Wilson Sleek craddle booster.  It helped, but still did not resolve the problem.  I then added a Wilson 18" "truckers" antenna on a 15' pole.  That helped more, but still had problems.  Finally, Verizon TS told me when my MiFi switched to 1xRTT it would pick up another tower (about 180 degrees from main tower) and once it grabbed that signal, it would stay there in 1xRTT even if the EVDO signal from the main tower recovered.  I had to disconnect the MiFi then reconnect to get EVDO again.  So, I then added a Wilson "panel" directional antenna and that finally did the trick.  Now my EVDO signal level is consistently in the -60's dbm range and I seldom have to reconnect or reboot the MiFi.
Many USB modems (and data cards) have external antenna jacks.  If yours does, then an external antenna similar to what I got might do the trick for you.  I would not recommend a directional antenna however, unless connection history (available from TS) shows switching towers is causing a problem.  An omni antenna like the 18" truckers antenna may be all that you need.
As for when I travel, I put the 18" trucker antenna on my MH and take the Wilson Sleek booster (needed for a MiFi) and my MiFi and have very good connectivity so far - and we tend to camp in pretty remote areas.

Cell modems work much better than voice (phones) in a low signal environment. That's because the data recovery is far superior. For voice traffic, they just throw away the bad/missing data packets and convert the remainder to sound, giving a choppy effect when the signal gets poor. For data service, the receiver requires the sender to resend any missing or damaged packet, so you get usable data. The time to do this slows things down, but the modem and computer (or router) functions normally.  Of course, at some point the bad data packets get so numerous that it is no longer practical to operate.

Bottom line is that the cellular modem will work in environments where voice traffic is hopeless.

Molaker said:
Finally, Verizon TS told me when my MiFi switched to 1xRTT it would pick up another tower (about 180 degrees from main tower) and once it grabbed that signal, it would stay there in 1xRTT even if the EVDO signal from the main tower recovered.  I had to disconnect the MiFi then reconnect to get EVDO again.  So, I then added a Wilson "panel" directional antenna and that finally did the trick.  Now my EVDO signal level is consistently in the -60's dbm range and I seldom have to reconnect or reboot the MiFi.

Both the USB 4G modems and the Cradlepoint can force 2g, 3G, 2g and 3G, all versions or 4G only service so you won't have that problem.

BernieD said:
Both the USB 4G modems and the Cradlepoint can force 2g, 3G, 2g and 3G, all versions or 4G only service so you won't have that problem.
Two problems with 4G - 1) we don't have it here.  2) I'd lose my "unlimited" plan if I switched since it is an old Alltel plan.  So, I'll stick with my antenna fix for now.  Then there's that pesky problem of having to buy a Cradlepoint router to connect multiple computers.  Since my system works fine now with the router I have, there's little need of reason to switch to 4G.

BernieD said:
Walt; you're welcome

JoAnn; I'm not sure about the MiFi but with the MBR95, you can set it up as a hotspot to work off local WiFi networks as well as the modem so that you can reduce data usage on your VZ plan. You can also hard wire computers and accessories (the MBR95 has 4 ethernet ports) so it they don't have a WiFi card you still can be connected.

So if I get the MBR95, do I not need to get a MiFi or do I need both?

JoAnn said:
So if I get the MBR95, do I not need to get a MiFi or do I need both?

Yes/no ;D . It's either one or the other but with the MBR95 you also need a modem, it's built into the MiFi. The MBR works with either a cable/DSL modem connection or a USB stick modem.

BernieD said:
Yes/no ;D . It's either one or the other but with the MBR95 you also need a modem, it's built into the MiFi. The MBR works with either a cable/DSL modem connection or a USB stick modem.

Am I correct that if I get the 2 usb port modems I have to pay for 2 internet connections with Verizon and if Iget the MiFi I only have to pay for one.  Am I correct in assuming the purpose of the  MBR95 is to get a stronger signal?

JoAnn

JoAnn said:
Am I correct that if I get the 2 usb port modems I have to pay for 2 internet connections with Verizon and if Iget the MiFi I only have to pay for one.

JoAnn

I'm not sure what you mean by "2 usb port modems". The USB modem is a single "USB stick" that would plug into your router or computer. Each stick has it's own phone number and internet plan. If you used a router like the MBR95 and had both a USB modem and, say, a cable internet connection (I've never seen a router with 2 USB ports), each would have it's own connection and plan but you would only be using one or the other at any given time, switching due to signal strength or data usage limitations.

Am I correct in assuming the purpose of the  MBR95 is to get a stronger signal?

The MBR95 does not amplify the signal reception. If you have a 2 bar signal available, that is what the MBR95 distributes. A high gain antenna or signal booster might move the signal up to 3 or 4 bars. I believe that the WiFi signal distributed by the MBR95 is stronger than the one from the MiFi, but in this example would still only be of 2 bar quality.

Am I correct that if I get the 2 usb port modems I have to pay for 2 internet connections with Verizon and if Iget the MiFi I only have to pay for one.

Yes - two modems = two separate connections and twice as much bandwidth available.  With the Mifi, two (or more, up to 5) computers are sharing one internet connection.

If you want to connect multiple computers (including tablets) at the same time, it makes sense to share a single connection via a Mifi-type device or by plugging the USB modem into a router such as the MBR95. However, if both computers areheavily using the internet, e.g. streaming data such as movies or stock reports, then you may be better off with two independent connections (at twice the price) rather than a single shared one.

Bernie, I'm sorry I wasn't clear.  I mean if we are using 2 laptops at the same time as Gary surmised.
I search the web, email, check message boards and chat mostly.  Jim usually just checks email and will watch an occasional tv show online but not much.  I think the 5g will be plenty for both of us to share. 

I think I'm missing something here. (I apologize if it's already been said and I missed it)  If the MiFi allows up to 5 devices to connect, what is the purpose of the MBR95 if it doesn't amplify the signal?    So do I need the MBR95 with a MiFi or would that be to help with campground internet only?  Is there an advantage to have it with the MiFi?
Thanks guys, as you can tell I'm not too technology savvy ::)

JoAnn said:
If the MiFi allows up to 5 devices to connect, what is the purpose of the MBR95 if it doesn't amplify the signal?    So do I need the MBR95 with a MiFi or would that be to help with campground internet only?  Is there an advantage to have it with the MiFi?
All you need is a MiFi.  The MBR95 function (router) is included in the MiFi.  So if you go with a MiFi, that is all that you need.  I hope that this helps.  I am using only a Verizon MiFi to send this message and my wife's computer is also sharing the internet connection.

Bago said:
All you need is a MiFi.  The MBR95 function (router) is included in the MiFi.  So if you go with a MiFi, that is all that you need.  I hope that this helps.  I am using only a Verizon MiFi to send this message and my wife's computer is also sharing the internet connection.

Thanks, that's what I need to know.    Now I need to figure out what we would do to amplify the signal to use it at home and I can get rid of the roadrunner. :D

JoAnn

A Mifi device will fit into a Wilson Sleek amplifier. I think a Wilson Signal Boost amp would also work.  I have the Sleek for my Mifi, but have  not needed to use it yet.

http://3gstore.com/manufacturer/11_wilson_electronics.html?pt=2&gclid=CNaf3q3QrqwCFRAj7AodP0EtFg

The MBR95 does not amplify the incoming signal.  The advantage of the MBR95 over the MiFi is the strength of the WiFi signal (750' vs 30').  If you are going to have a whole house WiFi Network the MBR95 will provide greater coverage thruout the home.

With either the USB Modem or the MiFi you will need some sort of External Antenna/PreAmp.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom