Internet Access while on the Road

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I called Millenicom about the new unlimited 4G plan. He would give me network names, but said the 4G network was different than the 3G one. When I told him I was traveling the country, he suggested that I would get more reliable service using the 3G network.

the 3G network has been around for a lot longer then 4G. In fact, I hesitate to call 4G a network at all! Its more like a "series of high speed hotspots".

3G is relatively slower but more of a sure thing. If you're using mapquest or anything that needs to be reliable, 3G is probably the way to go (though its nice to have the option for 4G when available)

If you look here:
http://www.millenicom.com/page/plans you will see a 3G/4G Hotspot and this is Verizon service.  You will also see a 3G/4G unlimited plan and this is Sprint service.  The Advanced plan is 3G only at this time.  You will need to compare the options.  If you don't expect to be in 4G areas much then I would get the 20GB 3G only plan.  If you think you could take advantage of 4G service sometimes then I would likely consider the 10GB 3G/4G plan.  It's all the same Verizon service that you would get if you went to a Verizon store.  You can even setup an online Verizon account to monitor your usage.
We have been Verizon customers for several years and I plan to cancel that service either this month or next and move to Millenicom.  Since we will traveling almost exclusively in the Western US I am thinking that I will stick wit3G3g and 20GB as the number of 4G service areas is still very limited.  The current Verizon expectation is that they will have their entire 3G network built out to 4G by the end of 2013.

Bill -

That sounds like a plan. I hope to do the same (less the 'canceling Verizon' part, since I'm not their customer) as 20Gb via Milenicom seems reasonable, and they *have no overage fees*. (but they do kick you off their service if you abuse this!)

Hi weewun,

We have traveled from coast to coast and from Baja to Alaska. We had a place in Baja for 11 years where we were a distributor for DirecPC Internet Satellite Receivers. The reason for the background is to let you know we have used many, many communications systems and have bought way too many that didn't work somewhere. The bottom line, the satellite is the only way you will get reception everywhere, and only from Southern Canada down. When you head north, you will need at minimum a 4' dish with a DirecPC or similar satellite antenna. The only solution that will give you reception about anywhere you can drive, is a Global Star phone which uses digital satellite and has a painfully slow internet connection. We did use ours when absolutely required ($5.95 Min) throughout Northern Canada and Mexico. You will have to check to see if they are still in business.

I am a Senior Computer Scientist, last at the Los Alamos Think Tank, my wife a former JPL/NASA Deep Space Engineer who was on the design team and the team that supervised building and installation of the three 70 meter dishes in California, Spain and Australia that bring us those pictures of the planets from the voyager probe and others. We still do consulting and projects while on the road and still have not found the perfect system, nor stopped arguing about it.

Here is what we have found out, especially as we are now on a budget. We seldom use our computers while driving. When we do, it is generally using VOIP on our iPhones. Many, many places now have public WiFi, including most RV parks we stay at, but we do check ahead for this. Both MiFi and WiFi devices are available and it depends on what you will need to do, that should determine what system is best for you.

We have a small blog site that we put together for our friends who are interested in using technology to save money and solve problems specific to them. To keep things in one place we started the website so we don't have to keep sending the same information out. There is a very detailed article on the site about MiFi, WiFi, cell phones and 3G/4G as well as many maps and tools to see where services are available. Bear in mind that any current 3G or 4G system uses the cellular network so when you don't have cellular access, you won't have internet access, unless you use a satellite, or stop at a location that has public WiFi. There is a second article about GlobalStar satellite service if you want or need access from anywhere and it's only $39.99 per month for unlimited voice and data service (9.6 kbps) as well as other solutions. The GlobalStar article also discusses DircTV a little, and may be relevant if you travel north of the border.

The site should help you decide what is the best and the most affordable system for you. Please feel free to leave a comment or question and someone with a high-tech background (and old enough to relate to us, we're all over 50) will get back to you.

Hope this helps,

jetiii
Edit: Link moved to sig line.

I have not read all of the posts here so I may have missed it, but has anyone considered the use of an usb air-card.  When I was in Jacksonville I first used Virgin Mobile, but quickly found they did not have a wide coverage area(which I think was mentioned on the first page).  I now have a T-mobile air card and I have had no problems with it.  It works at home and I have used it as far away as St. Louis Mo.    Now I don't use my laptop for games or other such stuff.  I use it for internet access for info, banking etc. 

Out here on the ranch we use "Wild Blue" satelite internet service.  It works great.  Is that service or something similar not available for RVs?

DoubleCK said:
Out here on the ranch we use "Wild Blue" satelite internet service.  It works great.  Is that service or something similar not available for RVs?
It is, but is a PITA to set up - especially if you are traveling and need to set up and take down every day or so.  If you are sticking in one spot for a while, it's not so bad.  However, like satellite TV, trees will block you out so nice shady campgrounds can be a problem.

DoubleCK said:

Wild Blue can't be used by RVers because it's spot beamed.  The comparable services for RVers are HughesNet and StarBand.

I work from the road fulltime for a large software company and have heavy requirements for good, reliable internet service. The solution I use is a Ubiquit Bullet M2 on an omni directional antenna. This feeds into a Cradlepoint travel router which redistributes the wifi signal in my coach. In addition to the Bullet, the Cradlepoint has a port for an aircard, so I have a Millenicom plan with a Verizon Novatel aircard. If the internet signal drops through the Bullet, the Cradlepoint automagically fails over to the aircard. It's really quite nice and easy to manage. I have a technology background, but the setup really isn't all that difficult.

I have the antenna attached to my retractable TV antenna on top of the coach, so I can raise/lower it and spin it around from inside the coach.

I have more detail about this setup on my blog (see sig line).

I hope this helps.
Safe Travels!
Chad

Edit: Link moved to profile.

I work from the road fulltime for a large software company and have heavy requirements for good, reliable internet service. The solution I use is a Ubiquit Bullet M2 on an omni directional antenna. This feeds into a Cradlepoint travel router which redistributes the wifi signal in my coach. In addition to the Bullet, the Cradlepoint has a port for an aircard, so I have a Millenicom plan with a Verizon Novatel aircard. If the internet signal drops through the Bullet, the Cradlepoint automagically fails over to the aircard. It's really quite nice and easy to manage. I have a technology background, but the setup really isn't all that difficult.

I have the antenna attached to my rectractable antenna on top of the coach, so I can raise/lower it and spin it around from inside the coach.

I have more detail about this setup on my blog

I hope this helps.
Safe Travels!
Chad

See my fulltime RV blog - see sig line.

Verizon just release the Jetpack 4620L.  Supports up to 10 devices.

Reviewed here:

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/verizon-jetpack-4620l-review-best-wi-fi-hotspot/

Looks great, but 10 connections with a data limit is a llittle sketchy.  Mine does 5 connections which works for me.  I have 5 gig a month which is mostly fine, but last minth I had to repopulate a system and I bumped into my limit 5 days short of end of month.  I wish the limits would be a little higher with the current pricing.  THAT would get me excited.  I don't need unlimited, but 10 gig for 5 gig price would be better. 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom