Patching holes in walls?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cliston

What does everyone use to patch small holes in the walls of a MH?  Spackle? 

We plan on sanding the walls, and then priming and painting, but was just curious to see what others had used to patch over small holes.

I prefer Bondo to Spackle. It shrinks less, cures faster, and sticks better. For small holes, like screw holes, you can just force it into the hole. Larger holes need to be backed up somehow. I generally slip a small piece of wood into the hole that is as wide as the hole's largest dimension and 2x longer than the width. I tie a sting to the middle of the piece of wood, spread glue onto the wood, then slip it into the hole. I then use the string to pull the wood up against the inside of the wall and tie it to something to hold it in place until the glue dries. Once dried, I hit the crater with Bondo. If more than one or two inches in diameter, I also like to embed some drywall mesh in the Bondo to ensure it will not crack.

Are we talking about interior walls? If exterior, fiberglass (e.g. Bondo) is the only way to go. For the interior there are more choices, but fiberglass filler, plastic wood and spackle are some likely choices. Since you plan to paint, the wax-based fillers are out.

Gary RV Roamer said:
Are we talking about interior walls? If exterior, fiberglass (e.g. Bondo) is the only way to go. For the interior there are more choices, but fiberglass filler, plastic wood and spackle are some likely choices. Since you plan to paint, the wax-based fillers are out.

Sorry I should have been more specific.  Interior walls.

The bondo-type fiberglass works really good but has to be pre-mixed and used quickly, usually in 10 minutes. For small quantities, the tube type epoxy pastes (e.g. JB Weld) are handy. But for ease of use, a plastic wood filler is the best. Elmer's makes a good one, but there are many good brands.

http://www.elmers.com/about/wood-filler

There are also some products called "painter's filler" or "nail hole filler" that work good for small holes. Goop make one:
http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2804129

Spackle would be my last choice on wood, but it's still ok.

I had a couple of holes left after moving a fire extinguisher. The walls were white. I filled the holes with toothpaste. It has been about seven years ago and it is holding up well and hasn't fallen out or discolored.

George

cvrvr said:
I had a couple of holes left after moving a fire extinguisher. The walls were white. I filled the holes with toothpaste. It has been about seven years ago and it is holding up well and hasn't fallen out or discolored.

George

That's what we used  in college before moving out.

The best way to patch a hole in the wall is to not patch a hole in the wall. Frame a photo and cover the hole with the photo.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
urnwholesaler
Back
Top Bottom