1994 Starcraft 28ft T/T Crazy power problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jaxcampfire

Hi guys. Have been living in my camper for about a month. Plugged into receptacle at pump house that has my ground water pump in. Custom made cord that is real electrical wire that you wire a home with. Have had no trouble with anything, hot water, microwave, lights, even a hair dryer when my wife is here caused no trouble. My hot water/microwave is operated by a switch in the kitchen. I have to choose one or the other or leave it in the middle, off position. Well tonight I flipped on the water heater just after my wife turned off her hair dryer, she was warming herself with it. It almost immediately flipped off all power to the camper. Lights flickered on/off  for about ten minutes then came back on. About an hour later I wanted to make some popcorn in the microwave, same thing. Came back on faster after I turned microwave off than when I turn hot water heater on. Any help with this would be great as I need to take showers and live in here for about 3 more weeks. Thanks in advance!

"Real electric wire" eh???

Sound to me like a loose connection somewhere, perhaps in that  "real wire" cord, if you meant the solid wire type, and hopefully not aluminum. Screws holding down solid wire loosen up at times. I can't see that happening often in the trailer wiring as they typically don't use solid wire but it can happen, especially behind the distribution panel.

Will check it asap. Hope you guys understand that I meant Romex or whatever its called. I didnt call it by name cause I had forgotten it. Thanks.

Romex is solid wire, and should not be used for any application where it will be flexed in normal use, like an extension cord.  Get rid of the Romex and use a proper sized extension cord, or properly wire an outlet for the RV.

Its not being flexed and its actually being run through pvc piping, so although I appreciate the input, feel free to ask for all info before delivering judgement. Thanks.

You described it as "Custom made cord" that implies it's being used as an extension cord, so please understand my confusion.  If it's in PVC, that's fine.  I have our whole shed wired with Romex in PVC pipe.

Back
Top Bottom