Yellowstone Summer Season coming to end.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PancakeBill

Well, it has been a real fast 5 months!  Arrived here in April (10th) to open the Park, and Monday will close the Park.  During much of the time here we have had Jim & Pat Dick along with us.  A number of visits from framily!, and one heck of a nice summer.  J&P are working today, I am off, got to do the last chores around the coach to be ready to roll Monday morning. 

For me, I will be returning for winter, will live in a nice apartment, vs wintering in the coach.  When I return there will be no driving on roads.  Just snow tracked vehicles.  The apartment is quite nice.

Now for the other fun part, our next 4 weekds we get to do some travel, along with J&P for the first 2.  then they head to FL, we fly to VA.  Plans at this point, Ogden UT first night, second nght at Arches.  Two longer driving days to get into a warmer area.  Then take a few days to get to Grand Canyon, then to see Don and Peg in Camp Verde.  Finishing in Tucson  a week later. 

Our son lives there so we can see him a bit before we fly out.  Will stay at Lazy Days Tucson CG!  Register online to get 2 free nights. Sure there is a small string attached, but what the heck)

Looking forward to our trip, and I am loking forward to Yellowstone in WInter.  I think Ihave everything stockpiled at the apt.

I was wondering when you all were leaving YNP.  We heard the roads will be closed on Monday because there's already a lot of snow.  Have a safe trip!

ArdraF

I think the "summer" season is already over ! Looks like we might be traveling south about the same time. Looks like it's going to snow here today and tomorrow then good weather Tuesday on.

Enjoy your winter. I think everyone should experience a Yellowstone winter as well as a Death Valley summer :)

everyone should experience a Yellowstone winter as well as a Death Valley summer.

Wendy, you sound like an extremist.  TIC  ;D

Wish I could do it again..too late now.

Carson FL  69.6?  brrr

Ardra,

The roads close tomorrow because the park closes until Dec 15. :) Two passes. Sylvan & Craig, were closed today due to snow. Dunraven has been closed for a couple of weeks. The rest of the roads were open. Now they can let the snow build up for the winter session.

It warmed up to 22 degrees today. Sun is trying to come out but it's still snowing a little. Will be happy to head to warmer weather!! ;D

Bill,

We missed getting to meet you and Jolene when we were staying at Fishing Bridge in September.  I'd hoped to be able to thank you in person for the helpful relies you've given me and others about traveling to, and around, Yellowstone. 

We were lucky enough to meet Jim and Pat and they gave us more good advice for seeing the Park.  Jim told us you guys would be leaving the Park together.

I envy you all for getting to enjoy our favorite Park for such long stretches of time.  And you especially, Bill, for being there in the winter.  We were there for 9 days in February of 2009 (in our pre-RV days) and loved it.  Really hope to get back again one day for a longer stay now that my husband is retired.

Safe travels to all of you.

As Jim mentioned, the Park closes today Nov 7th, but the roads remanin cleared until Thanksgiving, there are contractors working on a new kitchen for Old Faithful Inn, plus a historic building was moved to a new site, still needs buttoning up for winter. 

The Dicks and us leave tmorrow AM, exact hour to be determined, we will all enjoy a sleep in then head out.  Tonight we had a nice going away dinner at my winter apartment.  Had a fire in the fireplace, a little wine, relaxed, quite nice. 

So, now back to RV Travel mode.  I am psyched.

It was a great farewell dinner at Bill & Jolene's. Those that have not experienced Bill's culinary delights are sadly lacking. :)

Attached are some photos of our last day in the Visitor's Center. Now we can relax and enjoy a leisurely trip south and east. Next summer will bring new adventures and more photos!

In the photo of Bill collecting the trail guide money you can see Old Faithful outside the windows getting ready to go off again. A fabulous sight no matter how many times you witness it!!!!

Attachments

• Bill having one last talk with Ranger Stephanie.JPG
    Bill having one last talk with Ranger Stephanie.JPG
    102.9 KB · Views: 87
  • Pat with Rangers Jeanne, Rita, Stephanie.JPG
    Pat with Rangers Jeanne, Rita, Stephanie.JPG
    98.8 KB · Views: 83
  • Pat saying goodbye to Ranger Chris.JPG
    Pat saying goodbye to Ranger Chris.JPG
    66.5 KB · Views: 65
  • Bill collecting trail guide money for the last time.JPG
    Bill collecting trail guide money for the last time.JPG
    104.1 KB · Views: 69
  • Pat closing the register for the last time.JPG
    Pat closing the register for the last time.JPG
    96.6 KB · Views: 72
Safe travels to all of you and perhaps we'll get to see you on your way east.  Bill and Jolene, stay warm this winter.  And thanks again for putting descriptive name to your photos, it makes it so much nicer to know what I'm looking at :)

Hopefully only a slight delay in travels.  All hooked up, start driving and trans is acting really strange.  At about 20 mph, it surges and hesitates,  Can't get much above 20.  Right now the Dick's and us are setting in the sun, waiting for call back on a tow to proper repair facility.  Didn't drive it during the summer, but started and warmed occasionally.  Hoping for easy fix, like replace fluid and filter...  Praying for cheap solution.

Ideas?  In meantime not sure what the delay will be.  Thought possibly moisture in trans that frozr, but it should be pretty wrmed up and still not right. 

Dang.

Wendy said:
I think everyone should experience a Yellowstone winter as well as a Death Valley summer :)

And while you are at it don't forget to visit the Everglades in July without bug spray, climb Mt Rainier in December in your bathing suit and swim in Lake Tahoe any time of year.

Bill,

Wishing you a quick and easy, cheap, fix so you can get on with your travels.  Let us know if there is anything we can do from Belgrade.

Well, just waiting to hear about a tow, sitting by the lower store near OF Inn, sunny day, seeing geysers.  gotta make the best. 

Hope it's an easy, cheap fix. Maybe Yellowstone doesn't want you to leave ? Tell Her you're coming back so She should let you go.

Wendy

Told her I would be back in just a few short weeks!  Firewood all stacked outside and covered, the wood rack is full, freezer full, clothing hanging.  For a minute I thought about just winterizing and staying, but that wouldn't work.

We are now safely towed to a repair facility in Idaho Falls.  Tomorrow AM should get an idea what we are facing. 

Think cheap!  Then on the road to catch up with J&P and finish the road trip.

Since it's snowing on us here tonight in the 4 Corners area, a delay heading this way might not be so bad.

Wendy
snowy Cortez CO

Heard from Don that parts of 40 and 17 are closed.  No snow here, there was about 6+ inches back in Ystone at Old Faithful.  Snowed this AM, then clouds cleared and nice and sunny.  Nice day for a tow I guess.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom