Yellowstone Summer Season coming to end.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bill, I am curious is this your home and that is why you are wintering there or do you have a winter job that's keeping you there?

I went from a seasonal part time, to seasonal fulltime, to all year fulltime working at the Park.  For winter they provide a nice apartment.  In fact they want me to move in fulltime, but I want to still live in motorhome.  Athough, the last 3 weeks when Jolene and I were setting it up, I could handle it, and use MH like most folks, vacation 10 weeks a year in it.

Well some folks.  Have to stop calling myself a fulltimer though.

Again, curious, what do you do in the winter if all the roads in and out are closed?  That is a great opportunity though for you..I guess it does take you out of the fulltimer bracket though but that's okay, you aren't tied to anything and can change it at a moment's notice if you wish.  I am the female part of this couple and I am wondering what your wife does all winter where the roads are closed and you are working?

The roads are closed to wheeled trffic, but open for snowmobiles and snowcoaches.  Snow Lodge is open, along with restaurant and gift shop.  Visitor center is open as is the Bookstore I manage.  So, that is what I do, run the bookstore. 

Under a normal year, she might have worked with me in the store, but she had a tough medical year, is recovering nicely, so no park winter.  She will visit with our daughter in VA and spoil the g-kids. 

Last year we worked together in the bookstore at Grand Canyon for the winter.

Been trying to figure a way to do that.  Westy and MH will be in Tucson, if I cauld fly down on cheap flight it could happen.  Probably just take the Westy.  However, get to Bozeman, take flight is at least a solid day sma retrun, possibly 2 days each because of schedules.  Logistically, tough.

Here is my living room and bedroom for the winter.

Attachments

• 20111105-IMG_9075.jpg
    20111105-IMG_9075.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 67
  • 20111105-IMG_9077.jpg
    20111105-IMG_9077.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 53
Looks like Mission 66 housing. Except we didn't have a wood-burning stove in Death Valley :)

Wendy

66 meaning year?  That sounds about right.  Did you have a dishwasher?  Of course, with one eating, a dishwasher would take too long to fill.

There was a whole bunch of park housing built in 1966. It all looks the same. Called Mission 66. No dishwasher for us but I wouldn't have used it anyway. Haven't used one since 1983. We considered ourselves lucky to have a stove and refrigerator. NPS housing is not primo stuff. Best housing we ever had was a 3-bedroom single-wide mobile home at Hovenweep. But you'd freeze your ho-hos off in a mobile home in YELL.

Wendy

I would think it might be that, or at least from the same plans.  Kind of like elementary schools in the early 60's all look alike.

Not a bad look though, nothing ornate, very functional.  Move stuff around and very homey. 

Ken
Looks like fuel pump, waiting to hear back from Ford for availablility.  Hope they get one quick!

Apt is at Old Faithful.

Ho-ho's, interchangeable med term between men and women. 

Have to wait overnight for fule pump, but we have electric.  Not cheap, but not as much as I feared.  Jolene is gagging on the price, so above Jo's gag factor below mine. 

PancakeBill said:
Been trying to figure a way to do that.  Westy and MH will be in Tucson, if I cauld fly down on cheap flight it could happen.  Probably just take the Westy.  However, get to Bozeman, take flight is at least a solid day sma retrun, possibly 2 days each because of schedules.  Logistically, tough. .....

Bill,

Would Idaho Falls be better than Bozeman? Allegiant Air has non-stop flights between Idaho Falls and Phoenix-Gateway Mesa Airport. Pretty cheap flights if you can make your reservations well in advance. Remind me to tell you about them when you get here.

Don
I'll be using allegient to fly up to B-man in Dec, pretty inexpensive flight down.  Son will drop me off in Mesa.  $65 plus the fees.

We have moon rising over Tetons on left side of coach, sun setting on right side of coach, a roast chicken and biscuits ready for dinner. 

Will pull back into bay first thing, pump is supposed to be here by 9AM, should be back on road before 1PM.  All in all, it could have been a LOT worse, somewhere in the neighborhood of my imagination while awaiting the diagnosis. 

Jim and Pat are now down at Willard Bay waiting for us. 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom