Rally information?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steve C

We have never been to an RV Rally. So, serious question, what goes on at an RV Rally and what is one expected to contribute?

Love the Moab area and am considering the rally in May if I'm allowed.

O.K. Stop laughing at the rooky and answer the question already. ;D

Although we only get to a few rallies, I really recommend going when you can.  It provides an opportunity to meet lots of great people who share lots of similar ideas.  Usually the rallies are very loosely organized around the locale, with very limited pressure to participate in a few scheduled events.  The only thing that seems to be a requirement is a daily "happy hour" to discuss what ever, and to announce the next day's events.  The western rallies seem to usually offer offroad excursions, and the eastern ones try to take in a local event, for example most of us went to the Grand Old Opry at a Nashvill rally.
    We've made great framily friends at rallies, and it sure is nice to meet a lot of people who frequent, and do so much to run this Forum.
    See you in Moab.

Ed

I won't laugh at you.....I am new to this also. That's also why I have come to this forum....so much wisdom/information! :)

Check the head of the thread  for Portal RV info, call and get a confirmed reservations and then post on the thread when your arrivinging and what space you'll be in at the rally! I hope to meet you there.

If you are talking about RV Forum rallies, they are generally very relaxed with few, if any, organized activities.Think of it as going camping with several friends. You have to coordinate a bit so that everybody knows what is going on, but the plans are made pretty much ad hoc. Somebody says "let's do a trail ride tomorrow" or "how about a potluck dinner tonight" and the group runs with the idea - or not. Or maybe some people decide to participate while others choose something else. Often one or two people will take on the chore of coordinating activities. They aren't "in charge", but they serve as the focal point for suggestions and information. Think of them as the social secretary for the gathering.

Probably the 4 pm "Happy Hour" (social gathering) is the most engraved in stone activity at an RV Forum rally. No matter what their choice of activity was during the day, everybody gathers for a social around 4 pm. Bring your folding chair and your favorite beverage, and maybe some hors d'ouvres to share. Chat with everybody.  Maybe start a campfire if it's chilly. It's relaxing and its fun.

Rallies held by other organizations are likely to be done differently, and some are highly organized, with specific events at scheduled times. That's not our style here.

Making new friends is perhaps the best part. Our first frally was at Quartzsite last January, and we met a lot of nice folks. There was lots of good visiting, in addition to the "happy hour." Some folks went for a short hike, some went four wheelin', most everyone went to the "market" in QZ at one time or another, a couple of us went to a hamfest (ham radio swap meet) just down the road, and many of us did several of these things.

QZ was so great that we went to another frally in the Texas hill country, where we met more framily and had a great time -- a few restaurant meals, swimming, touring various sites around the area, including seeing the Alamo, and even some very welcome help when our toad broke down. Mighty fine folks.

This all led to more fine experiences when we went to the Teton/Yellowstone area this summer where, though there was no real rally we got together with several of the framily for a marvelous time.

In other words, get to a frally or three -- it's great!

Larry N. said:
This all led to more fine experiences when we went to the Teton/Yellowstone area this summer where, though there was no real rally we got together with several of the framily for a marvelous time.

Larry

If you post pictures those are called mini-frallies ;D ;D

DW and I are discussing this now a bit. We might make the trek to see her brother in California, Quartzite is about 400 miles farther <scheming smiley>

I hope you make it and we meet up in QZ!

I have a brother in northern CA at Lakeport that I need to see [it's been 16 years;] so, I may have to go that additional 760 miles for our face to face.

The Moab rally does have a number of 'organized' activities, but rally attendees are free to participate (or not) in whatever they choose, or just do their own thing. Activities vary, but have included offroad trips including lunch stops and photo ops, hikes, 'Red Hat' day for the ladies, 'Canyonlands by Night' boat trip on the Colorado River, white water rafting on the Colorado, talent show, pot luck, happy hour, lunch at a local restaurant, 'last supper' at a local restaurant.

Love the Moab area and am considering the rally in May if I'm allowed.

There's no "if"; Any forum member is welcome to attend any of the RV Forum rallies. You may wish to check out this discussion on the 2012 Moab rally, and be sure you understand that attendees make their own reservations with the RV park.

I see you've already found the "Rallies, Shows, & Events" board.  Now look down through the list of topics and find the threads called "RV FORUM MOAB RALLY, MAY 8-15, 2011" and "2011 QUARTZSITE Rally - Daily Activity Reports/Photos".  Quartzsite and Moab tend to be our largest RV Forum rallies and by perusing those threads you'll see the comments about what we actually do at a rally.  Bob Buchannan usually takes a group photo just before the potluck on the last day of the Quartzsite rally.

There also are other rallies such as the one just held in the southeast that the Brincks hosted.  You'll also see an occasional thread asking if anyone is attending, for example, the January 2012 FMCA rally in Indio.  We usually have a number of people attending rallies held by other larger organizations (such as FMCA, Escapees, etc.) and whoever attends one of these "other" rallies is welcome to join the RV Forum group at happy hour.  We usually post our various locations at these rallies in that thread so we can find one another and usually one person says they'll host happy hour where everyone brings their chairs and libatations.  Once you attend a few rallies you'll find you have friends wherever you go.  We even have prerallies and postrallies.  For example, last year some of us met at Monument Valley prior to Moab and then continued together to Salt Lake City after Moab.  These are like small caravans but we don't necessarily travel together, just meet each night for happy hour, dinner, and perhaps sightseeing, hiking, or four-wheeling the next day.

ArdraF

Larry,

The most organized this group gets is the rallies mentioned in my previous post, e.g. Moab, Quartzsite, etc.  The "biggie" organizations are really organized, but then they have to be or it would be chaos.  If you ever attend a FMCA rally you'll be amazed at how well the parking committee gets everyone parked!  We're much smaller so we can operate by whim, so to speak.  ;)

ArdraF

Speaking of the Indio FMCA rally, who's going to be there? Mike and Gordon and I will be there, arriving from Bolsa Chica State Beach.

Wendy
snowy Cortez Colorado

Wendy said:
Speaking of the Indio FMCA rally, who's going to be there? Mike and Gordon and I will be there

Marlene and I will be there, probably at Lake Cahuilla County Park in south Indio for a couple of days before.

ArdraF said:
Larry,

The most organized this group gets is the rallies mentioned in my previous post, e.g. Moab, Quartzsite, etc.  The "biggie" organizations are really organized, but then they have to be or it would be chaos.  If you ever attend a FMCA rally you'll be amazed at how well the parking committee gets everyone parked!  We're much smaller so we can operate by whim, so to speak.  ;)

ArdraF

Thanks, Ardra. That's why I put "...are (at least semi) organized ..." in there. I love the free and easy way frallies run (walk, really  ;D).

Steve C

The Moab Rally will be our first one as well.  Come along and we will all be
laughed at together.  I have a Jeep CJ-7 that I look forward to doing some 'light'
off road or back trail driving in.  Additionally I really like the sound of that Happy
Hour thing every day. 

The Big Larry

Wendy said:
Speaking of the Indio FMCA rally, who's going to be there?

Since 2102 will be  Terry's year  turn to plan our trips, you can bet we will attend every  RV Rally in the USA this year.  Seriously I love the Indio rally so we will be there.  Well er uh, I guess we will be there even if I hated it!

Betty and Terry

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom