Trip To See Roadtrek

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

camperAL

Greetings,

My wife and I went to see the Roadtreks yesterday at an RV place called American RV in Michigan. Basically we wanted to stand by one and see the size and look inside to see what it looked like.

I was surprised at how big these were to what I had seen online where I didn't have a good idea of scale of the RV to a person. We focused on the Roadtrek SS Agile. While the inside are not big compared to larger motorhomes, we felt there was plenty of living space for the two of us. There are two areas you could sit and be on a computer or read and so forth. There seems to be quite a lot of room for storage (they say 81 cubic feet or 3 square yards). Storage under the bed you can access from the outside or in. A small closet, plenty of small rectangular cabinets for storage along the upper walls.

Bathroom was small but had a shower and toilet. The door folds in two spots so it can arc out and make more room in the shower or if you have the curtains pulled you can just leave it open and pull the shower curtain around. The other smaller models had the shower actually coming out into the central isle of the motorhome and was designed so the water would go into a drain. No carpet in those areas like the Agile. That was too small in my estimation. Sink in the bathroom slides in and out for more room. Nice touch.

Kitchen was nice in my opinion and my wife like the sink, refrigerator and stove. Only room for two pots on the stove top at a time but this is enough for us. Not a large refrigerator but we feel there is enough room for items for two weeks of groceries before we will be out and have to go shopping again to replace items.

Lots of nice features that let you know of problems before they become bigger problems. Tire pressure, ice on the road, tanks, etc. and so on. Bed had a electronic switch to more the bed into a living room seat (couch) or bed. Something we would not need as we can move things around with out it being automatic. You can make the bed into one large king size or two singles. TV is in the back with the coach/bed and is more than fine for us.

This had a diesel engine that the sales person said should get 20 to 26 miles per gallon depending on factors.

My wife and I are impressed with these RV's and feel this is going to be the one for our needs. We'll be looking for a used one in the 3 to 5 year range and the $50,000 range. The one we looked at was a demo and had 4,000 miles on it with all the bells and whistles. Asking price was high $80,000 range.

We also checked out a trade in (Pleasure Way) they had. It was very nice also but my preference is still the Roadtreks. All my best to my fellow RVer's

--CamperAL

I just purchased the 2012 Winnebago ERA ... the Roadtrek you describe sounds pretty much like what I have. I love mine and am heading out tomorrow on my first trip, albeit a short one. Also the weather has taken a drastic turn for the cold so I have had to winterize for now. But I have all the basics covered with washroom and water requirements. A bit inconvenience but I am planning a trip down south for a couple of weeks in December that will allow me to give it a full trial run.

Best of luck on your search for your RV.

Karsty

Hi Karsty and all,

Good luck on your trip and take your time and enjoy the drive. I was reading a lot of the posts here on the RV forum and spotted your posts and search for a B class van. Glad you were able to find your Winnebago and hope you have many years of fun with it.

We're impressed with the Roadtreks and will probably go that route. I do want a diesel for resale value and good gas mileage. Also the Roadtreks seem to have nice features in them that we liked. I don't know if I would go with smaller Roadtreks though as they seem more cramped than the Agile we looked at. Prices are high but with a unit that is 3 or 4 years old I think we will be able to live with that cost.

Thanks Len and Jo for your well wishes. I have read some of your adventures here in the forum. It is nice to live through others trips here. It also shows people just getting started what to expect when we take the plunge.

Thanks for the comments on my report also! Wishing everyone good travels!

--CamperAL

Greetings,

Those considering a Roadtrek, can ask for a demo disk they have along with a brochure. I was given one at the dealership that I went to but shows a lot about them and even how they go about construction, what is different between the different makes, a good view of the inside of the vans, exterior features and much much more.

Just FYI.

CamperAL

We purchased a used (1 month, 3k miles) 2010 SS Agile in August of 2010, and after a shakedown trip to Lassen spent 6 weeks aboard during a trip from Reno, NV to the east coast to visit friends and relatives. 10,000 miles later we were still very happy and remain so. Roadtrek support is good via phone/email, dealer network not so. Read the manuals, and watch out for wrong oil at dealers if you get a 2007-2009 model with the diesel particulate filter (I just had a Dodge dealer use oil not meeting MB 228.51 and had to replace it/filter). They aren't boats and aren't made to marine specs, but what is? Also, this and the Sprinter Forum are great sources of info. Happy traveling. PS there is a website where you can register for new (used) listings via email, which is how we found our Roadtrek.

Hi SMBReno,

Thanks for your input. I've been looking at various websites that have both new and used Roadtreks. I will most likely buy used.

It is reassuring to hear that people like their Roadtreks and have had good luck. I like the idea of having the sprint frame with the diesel engine.

Best!

CamperAL

Not sure if you are 100% only looking at Roadtrek used class B?s on the Sprinter chassis, but there are other van conversion companies making good class B?s on the Sprinter Chassis.  Pleasure-Way has their Plateau www.pleasureway.com , Winnebago the ERA www.winnebagoind.com and Leisure Travel Van www.leisurevans.com the Free Spirit, plus they may be others.  Most B?s have about the same floor plans and this will give you more used units and not limiting your search. 

Hi nvrver,

I have given these some thought. Not out of the question. We do like the Roadtreks though. Nice vans. In my favor, I am taking my time finding one. Mainly saving dollars for  when we do find one and we can make a deal on it. We'll most certainly get a used one as I am not that interested in putting so much money in a new one. I wouldn't mind buying a nice unit a few years old for about half price. I am looking at other areas with people who have other B type vans.

CamperAL

Back
Top Bottom