Re-gluing headlight bracket back in place

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wagonmaster2

I'm getting ready to glue the small headlight bracket piece that attaches with two bolts back to the front cap and wondering about the best approach.  Should I put glue only on the small bracket piece before slipping the two bolts back into the slots of the main bracket, put the glue only on the spot at the fiberglass cap where it came detached, or on both pieces?

I'm using J-B Kwik weld, which says it sets up in 4-6 minutes so I'll need to really be moving once I mix the two tubes.  I originally started to use regular J-B Weld but when I read it takes 1-2 hours for it to start setting I knew I couldn't keep it in place on the vertical back side of the front cap.  I've had to glue other things back together so far but this is turning out to be real fun having to do all the work while leaning through the generator hood opening.

This is on a 2004 Itasca Meridian 36 G so not sure how many Winnebagos used this same sorry arrangement.  The high gloss paint wasn't even removed from the pieces before the glue was originally added so no wonder it didn't last.

Allen

Edit by John - changed message icon to Topic Solved

Hi Ho:  JB Weld (either type) is really a metal filled epoxy.  It doesn't matter how it gets between the parts as long as the entire space is filled.  You may not have a convenient way to do this, but the best practice is to clamp the two pieces together.  So far I've figured out a way to clamp pieces where they go, and have had pretty good success getting them to stay put, but this may not be possible for you.  Sometimes a little screw will hold them.  As you already point out, making the surfaces rough (with some 60 or 80 grit sandpaper) and cleaning them with a good solvent is the key to getting them to stay put.  I agree that this is one of those cost-saving designs that really isn't up to snuff.

Dirk

MAYBE YOU HAVE ROOM TO TEMPORAILY TAPE THE PART IN PLACE UNTIL THE GLUE SETS UP. GOOD LUCK, HOPE YOUR REPAIR GOES WELL FOR YOU.

Weather has cleared off enough today I think I'm ready to mix the glue and attach the bracket.  Kind of scary since there'll be no moving or readjusting anything after about 5-6 minutes.  Will let you know tomorrow how things went after the glue sets up completely and the headlight is re-attached to the glued on bracket.  I can only reach back there behind the cap with one hand at a time so not sure whether I can get any duck tape in the right place without it sticking to everything it touches.

Allen, when I did mine (I have reattached both headlamps) one of the brackets was not in an area that I could clamp, so I used a wooden dowel cut to length that would wedge from the coach frame attachments to the back side of the fiberglass cap. This produced a clamping force on the bracket similar to that of a "C" clamp. It worked well for me. I applied the "wedge" working from underneath the coach.

Sounds like a good idea Red, I managed to wedge a short piece of 2x4 (which after trying several different combinations of wood thicknesses the 2x4 was just right)  between the frame and the back edge of the headlight bracket thus taking any pressure off the piece I'm glueing to the back of the fiberglass cap.  I may try to figure out a way to leave it there if I can attach it somehow, sure don't want something like that bouncing around underneath the coach and hitting the toad going down the road.  And using J-B Kwik (which really sets up fast)  it only took about 8-10 minutes before I could turn loose of the glued piece.  So far I've got 2 of the 3 pieces glued back in place but the small tubes of J-B wasn't enough for all 3.  Have to get another package of J-B tomorrow.

After I finish with the driver's side I'll have to start on the passenger's side where I see at least one of the brackets has already come completely loose from the cap.  It's amazing Winnebago couldn't have placed one small brace running from the frame to the headlight bracket to help support it instead of relying on just glue to support all the weight of the headlight.

Everyone with coaches in this era (don't know how long Winnebago glued the headlights in place) better look behind their front cap to see how the headlights are attached and if they still are there.  I noticed mine had broken loose the first night out on an 8 week trip and kept hoping I wouldn't loose the whole headlight.  I did attach a small rope between the bracket and the frame trying to at least keep it somewhat under there till I got back home.  Knew I couldn't do anything about it out on the road.

Allen

I have an '08 Meridian. The brackets are glued to the front cap, like yours. I had to replace one of the headlights due to road damage. I didn't notice any of the brackets loose. Based on your experience, I'll be making this a regular inspection.

Thanks for the update.

I may try to figure out a way to leave it there if I can attach it somehow, sure don't want something like that bouncing around underneath the coach and hitting the toad going down the road.

The fiberglass front does flex, so I'm not sure I would fabricate a permanent support, Allen. I'm thinking the primary problem with the headlamp installation (and other attaching brackets both front and rear) is that the attaching brackets were painted, and the sealant used needed a rough surface to assure the proper bond.

I had wondered about any flexing that might happen on the front cap but I also thought if the cap could endure the weight of the headlight bracket hanging on the back side surely a little flexing couldn't hurt anything.

But just to be sure I'll have to rethink my decision to fix any permanent bracing.  Would sure hate to have a big ole crack running down or across that cap or cracking a windshield.  Guess I'd probably better pry off the partially holding brackets on the passenger side and re-glue them while I'm at it.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention, with just getting back from one trip and having to get the coach ready to travel to Fayetteville, Ar next week to attend to my 93 year old (and she'll sure keep reminding everyone of this fact too) MIL during Thanksgiving week while her other daughter, who lives in that town, is gone for the week, it seems this ole mind isn't working on all 4 burners.

Allen

Well, with the help of the Forums I finally managed to re-glue the 3 headlight  brackets that had broken completely off on the driver's side and did the same on the passenger's side for one bracket that had come off and another that was all but off.  My back may never recover from leaning over the generator opening in a sideways twisted position.  Tomorrow after the glue has set completely I'll tighten up the bolts, remove the support, and see how far off the headlights shine at night.

I would almost bet a month's pension check that if the a_ _ that designed/approved this method of attaching the lights behind the front cap had to re-attach them on just one coach we'd have a different set-up in no time at all.  He's probably never even seen a complete coach or camped in one.  With very little extra effort the brackets could have been attached to the frame work and just floated in the cap opening like our cars and PUs are.  Pardon my venting.

Allen

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom