Establishing domicile

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ron:

It might be because you have resided there for a number of years.?

Most states, not all, use voter registration changes, not the master list, to find their candidates.? New people moving in, and people changing their party are, in most states, more likely to get called.?

When I first retired I used to change parties once a year so I could get jury duty.? It was a pleasant diversion and I enjoyed the courtroom drama.? But after a few years that wore thin so I stopped changing parties.? I think political parties are the most useless thing I have ever seen on earth, other than for manipulating them and getting on jury duty? :D.?

I always try to vote for the person with the best moral character, regardless of party, though that is hard to decipher through the spin, and rare to find something worth voting for.

Ned said:
Insurance is whole other can of worms :)

If you appear before a MD licensed insurance agent as a MT resident, the MD agent will be unable to write your insurance. If you explain your "temporary" residency (until your MD home is sold) your MD agent will be on the thinest grounds so far as binding coverage. As you state that you'll have a MT drivers license, I assume you'll have relinquished your MD license. As a CA insurance broker, I'd hesitate in such a transaction.

To complicate this picture further, your MT drivers license is not proof of residency, as you are still employed in MD and perform your job there. From an insurance standpoint, you're in kind of limbo. I believe that you'll soon face the need for effecting your insurance in MT. 

Were you in CA in a similar situation, CA DMV would require that you have a CA drivers license if you were employed in CA. I would suspect that MD has similar regs.   

I believe Smoky is among us Gainfully unemployed individuals so since he has no employment in MD and has basically sold his holdings there they should not consider him a residence there.  Since he has established residence in MT he shouldn't have any problem getting insurance in MT.
One of the benifets of being retired. ;D ;D

Smokey, when posting, I did not have the information of your having terminated your employment in MD and your home sold there. There is always going to be a specter of licensing requirements when accepting employment in various states. In CA, beware! The state is hell bent for collection of revenue....this was the major issue when there was a recall election. You have 10 days to relicense your vehicle and get a driver license. Of course, others will point out that there are many residents of CA who still have out-of-state licenses, but the issue is mainly employment as there's a "cross-check" with withholding of income tax. Commuters from border states have an "exception".

Any income earned within a state is subject to the income tax, if any, in that state. If you are selling a product within a state that has sales taxes, there could be an issue concerning the collection of those taxes. There could also be a business license required (you mentioned your consulting business). I'm just touching on the various things that cloud "business and income" when crossing state borders. I'm neither a tax man or attorney but as a longtime business insurance broker, I've been witness to the many questions that occur with my multi-state accounts. California businesses have become sensitive to licensing of their new employees and we do "checks" on new drivers for underwriting reasons.

Smoky, if you have a "workplace" within a state, you're going to be subject to whatever income taxes apply in that state. This certainly doesn't apply to a travelling salesperson who is domociled in another state. We're talking about placing you in a workplace like an office or campground even if it's a seasonal job. This is becoming serious business, as many states have watched revenues flying out the window.

After all, they have to pay for the illegals who get sick so mind your manners about paying those taxes.

Smoky said:
I am wondering now if I work in 5 different states if I will have to file 5 different income taxes?

And what about people who work from home for a national company?  Like hot line employees.  How do they figure out what state to pay?

I know professional sports players, like NBA, NFL and MLB and golfers, file returns in each state where they play. There salary is proportioned by the number of games they play in each state and file state and local taxes accordinaly.

Bob

Bob M:

I have no objection at all to paying legal and proper taxes.  I will try to minimize them through ethical and legal means of course as everyone should.

My problem is understanding what i am supposed to do.

Bob Z gives a good example of how complicated it can get.

What happens if during the course of a year you hold 5 jobs in 5 different states.  This could easily happen with a fulltimer as they live the itinerant life traveling from place to place.  A workamper in April in Ohio.  A dishwasher in June in Kalispell.  A commercial boat pilot at a California resort in August.  A professional gigolo in Texas in September.  A septic tank repairman in Florida in December.

Which state do I file taxes in?

Smoky,

I have been there done that.  During a period I worked in three states  while working for the same employer.  Since you are a resident in Montana you need to file a resident income tax there.  You will also need to file a non-resident return in Ohio, and Calif since these states have state income tax.  Since Texas and Florida have no state income tax the amount you make there will be included in your Montana tax return.  As I remember all your income has to be included in your MT tax return and you should get credit for the tax you paid Calif and Ohio.  I may have this wrong now since it has been many years since I had this situation.  Best to consult a tax person in your state of residence.

Yeah Ron it gets very complicated.

As I enter this new world of fulltiming, I am discovering that much of the world bureaucracy does not know how to manage fulltiming.

Sometimes this can sting you, other times it can provide an unexpected but legal loophole.  I hope I learn fast enough so I don't get stung.

Smoky,

>>LOL anoither loophole if you dare to risk it.? ?<<

many states, MT and CA included will compute the tax owed based on your TOTAL income for the year but you will only pay that thax to the state in which you earened it.? When we moved to MT, I had CA income through April.? I had to add the CA and MT income together and paid CA at the rate of the total income for the amount I earned through April and vice versa for MT.? It meant that instead of paying the rate for say @10,000 to CA I paid the rate for $40,000 on the $10,000 and I paid MT the rate for $40,000 on the 30,000 I earned there.? :-((? Not the real numbers but chosen for convenience!? VBG

Also in many states, you have a limited time to change your license plates, drivers license and thus become a resident of that state!? :-((

CA, and others consider the value of barter as income, i.e., if you work for a site, that normal rent for that site is income and all the rest comes into play.

When I learned this and a few other things, I gave up the idea of working on the road especially since I would either need a separate license for each state or would have to play the home business location and work on contract for short periods where desired.? Just too much red tape for me.? Besides the liability insurance was just too costly for part time work for me as a PE.  I jsut let my license lapse and am enjoying myself.  BG

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom