Recommendations PLEASE for park near Palm Springs (not too $$$)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

unsinkable777

Our maiden voyage route will be: south from BC, to Henderson, NV and then south west to Anaheim, CA. We have 6 wks to travel (from Dec. 21 to Feb 1).  We think it would be nice to stay for a couple of 1 wk stints, between the two cities. Any favourite parks around Palm Springs or anywhere enroute??? Help!
Thanks,
karen

You could come to the Quartzsite rally during the end of January.

Will be in Phoenix / Casa Grande area from early January - a Newbie in a recently acquired used motor home - Would like to experience Boondocking before making a decision to try Slab City for a few days [or so].
Please advise of directions and approx distance from Phoenix area to Quartzsite.
Thanks

Coming from the east, QZ is at exit 19, a straight shot from Phoenix and Casa Grande on I-10. Downtown Phoenix is at exit 145 and Casa Grande is exit 194. Subtract 19 from your exit number and you have the miles to QZ. You could easily drive at 60-65 mph, or faster if you like, all the way to QZ except for thru downtown Phoenix.

Bernie,

Wouldn't the best route from CG to QZ be through Gila Bend, north to I-10 and then to QZ????  We came that way coming from Tucson and it sure beat coming through Phoenix.  :)

Headquarters Campground located at Salton Sea is reasonably priced and close to Palm Springs.

http://www.saltonsea.ca.gov/camping.html

Jim Godward said:
Wouldn't the best route from CG to QZ be through Gila Bend, north to I-10 and then to QZ????  We came that way coming from Tucson and it sure beat coming through Phoenix.  :)

Or I-8 to Yuma, then US95 north to QZ.

You can get a free 2-night stay at Two Springs RV Park in North Palm Springs if you don't mind a very low-key sales presentation.

Wendy

Jim Godward said:
Wouldn't the best route from CG to QZ be through Gila Bend, north to I-10 and then to QZ? ???  We came that way coming from Tucson and it sure beat coming through Phoenix.  :)

The OP did mention Phoenix, but via Casa Grande adds about 15 miles and 20 minutes according to MS S&T. AZ 85 can be problematic at times, it used to have one of the worst accident ratings. If the timing thru Phoenix is midday, there shouldn't be any problem. Via Yuma/US 95 adds 60 miles and an hour.

Earlier this month, we drove from Scottsdale through Phoenix, past Quartzsite, into California. No problem at all in Phoenix or anywhere on the freeways. Only place we had trouble was in the stupid Flying J (or was it a Pilot?), trying to get propane and gas. Forgot it was the day after the Nascar race and all the party RVs were there trying to dump and gas up.

Wendy

utahclaimjumper said:
I would designate that as AZ95,, as Cal. also has a CA95 that runs north and south, just across the river.>>>Dan

The stretch from Yuma to QZ is most definitely US95.  From I-10 north, it's AZ95 in AZ and US95 in CA.  I don't think there is a CA95.

Here is my trip write up for Wednesday, November 9, 2011
8:30 AM out of the Ridgecrest Elks lodge to meet Billy for breakfast at Christy?s.  Back on 395 heading South by 9:30.  Took the cutoff from Adelanto to Victorville then a nice drive thru Apple Valley to Yucca Valley.  We stopped for gas and I called to see if we could get into Lake Cahuilla County Park CG, we could so headed south to I-10.  We arrived at Lake Cahuilla County Park CG space 44 shortly before 3 PM.  This is a Riverside County Park in the Indio/La Quinta area.  Sites have water & 30 & 50 amp electric with a dump station available, price $23.00.  Showers were not the best and only 1 of 2 in each bathroom was working.     

Check Web site for Riverside County Parks.
Regards,
Dick

Ned said:
The stretch from Yuma to QZ is most definitely US95.  From I-10 north, it's AZ95 in AZ and US95 in CA.  I don't think there is a CA95.
There used to be a CA95 but it was turned into 395 years ago.

The confusion is Arizona occurs in Quartzsite. Traveling north on US95 when it gets to QZ US95 turns left and is the same road as I10 for a few miles then turns north in California as US95. At QZ US95 becomes AZ95 and continues north. So in QZ there are two 95s, the US one and the AZ one.

My thanks to all, as per usual you input has proven to be most helpful esp the inexpensive park suggestions.
At this time I think we shall try and give Quartzsite a shot, where I hope we will get to meet some Forum members over a cool 1 or 2.

We will be picking up our new to us but used coach on the Western outskirts of Phoenix sometime during the first week of January. It will be devoid of all but those few things that we can haul in the car with us which will necessitate some serious settling in and restocking [ie flat wear/pots /pans/etc] in preparation for Quartzite.
Does anyone know of a nice, reasonably priced, attractive RV park where we can park hook up and shop conveniently for a week or so while we get organized. It does not necessarily have to be in the immediate environs of Western Phoenix but I prefer not having to travel too far initially.
Thanks all for the excellent suggestions I know will follow shortly

I would have 2 recommendations, depending on where you want to stay. Cotton Lane RV Park is just south of I-10 west of Cotton Lane. This is about 15 miles due west of downtown Phoenix and about 3 miles from my house. This would put you about 3 1/2 hours from Palm Springs. Walmarts and just about any other store are close. I can even pop over if help is needed.

If you want to be farther north, Sunflower, south of Bell, east of El Mirage, is a nice park also. It is closer to Happy Trails where many Forumites winter, but farther from Palm Springs.

Back
Top Bottom