body panel adhesive

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

schoolsout2

The sorage bay doors on our Fleetwood Pace Arrow have a "skin" glued on to a frame.  I am repairing a storage bay door and need to re-glue the panel onto the frame.  Any suggestions on what type of adhesive to use?

Not sure of a plain adhesive, but I used to work at Fastenal and sold a tape made by 3M.  It was called VHB tape and is used to skin semi trailers that don't use rivets.  Amazingly strong.  I'm sure you can purchase some on-line, but if I remember, it's a bit pricey.

hope that helps
Joel

Is the "skin" plywood backed Filon and is the frame aluminum?  If so, a high grade construction adhesive should do the trick - IF there is some sort of trim that runs around the edges.  The trick is to make sure air (wind) can't get under the edges and lift it once glued down.

When I glued my Filon to my entry door frame and foam, the recommended adhesive was Stabond E-183. It is basically a contact type cement, but unlike regular contact cement, sunlight and heat is not supposed to effect it. Problem is that it was somewhere close to $200 for a gallon after shipping costs. If you are on the west coast, or know someone that is that's headed your way, you're more than welcome to the 3/4 of a gallon I have left.

This is needed to glue the aluminum skin to the aluminum frame.  $200 a gallon HOLY @#$%^&

3M makes an assortment of adhesives for this, but most of them are designed for industrial application. You need something you can squeeze out of a standard caulking gun.

Check out some of these:
http://www1.mscdirect.com/eCommerce/NavigationServlet/Fasteners-Adhesives/Adhesives-Tape-Hook-Loop/Glue-Caulk-Sealants-Adhesives/_/N-1z13u7oZ77dvv?refinement=4291455271&searchandizedOk=Y

Thanks all I found some at a good local auto parts store, not the chain stores.  They also made me a spray can of matching paint.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lmw
Back
Top Bottom