Framily Veterans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
DonTom said:
Join the VA and get a VA card. Lowe's requires a military ID that has a photo, such as my "Department of Veterans Affairs" ID card.
And it has to say "SERVICE CONNECTED" under your picture.

parmm said:
And it has to say "SERVICE CONNECTED" under your picture.
To my knowledge, neither Lowes or Home Depot limit their military discount to service connected disability.  I have always been able to use my gray card (retired) and I'm pretty sure my VA card (no disability) would work, too.

Molaker said:
To my knowledge, neither Lowes or Home Depot limit their military discount to service connected disability.  I have always been able to use my gray card (retired) and I'm pretty sure my VA card (no disability) would work, too.

They just changed the rule at Home Depot. At our local HD a couple of days ago, I gave them my VA card (no disability) and they said I could have the discount that time but after that it would need to say "Service Connected" to get the discount. Mike pulled out his Service Connected VA card and the guy said, yeah, like that. Said the rules had just changed and it was active duty and service connected disabled veterans who would be getting the discount. Now, if Lowe's continues to give ALL veterans a discount, Home Depot will no doubt change back to that.

Wendy
Colorado

We fixed up our house a couple of years ago, with everything coming from lowes. We spent over $100.000 and saved a lot buying everything there.

I worked for Riverside County (CA) as a Veteran's Service Rep for about a year after I retired from my fed gubmint job.  I would recommend that ALL veterans at least check in with your county Veteran's Services office (every US county should have one).

Many of you THINK you do not have compensable disabilities, or that you lack proof that your disability happened in the Service.  There are ways to get around stuff like that, such as buddy letters, or written statements from relatives.  I had a couple of old guys come into the office who just hoped they could get hearing aids.  I got them tested at the VA, and they both ended up getting 100% disability for deafness.  Almost ALL veterans have tinnitus, a ringing in the ears.  Tinnitus in both ears is an automatic 10%.

I had a gal come into the office hoping to get funeral expenses and a headstone.  She ended up with a veteran's widow's pension because her husband died of his service connected disability.

My brother in law suffers from PTSD.  My wife would tell me how happy go lucky he was before he left for Viet Nam and what a sullen, self-medicating person he became when he got home.  His wife reports that he has awakened for years with violent nightmares.  We got him set up with a special PTSD clinic at the local VA hospital.  He initially got 30% and he is now at 60%.  This was done based on his combat history and his wife's letters that reported his differences in personality before and after the was.  I still have not gotten my steak dinner he promised me.

The point is, it only takes a short visit to the VSO to see if you qualify or not.  Check it out.  If you do get an award, the payments are retroactive to the day you apply. so the sooner the better.

Wendy said:
They just changed the rule at Home Depot. At our local HD a couple of days ago, I gave them my VA card (no disability) and they said I could have the discount that time but after that it would need to say "Service Connected" to get the discount. Mike pulled out his Service Connected VA card and the guy said, yeah, like that. Said the rules had just changed and it was active duty and service connected disabled veterans who would be getting the discount. Now, if Lowe's continues to give ALL veterans a discount, Home Depot will no doubt change back to that.

Wendy
Colorado

Wendy the Lowes in Surprise requires a VA ID card that the VA here will not issue unless your are receiving benefits. (FYI I got turned down again for not meeting financial need requirements even with SE Asia service.)

Jeff said:
Wendy the Lowes in Surprise requires a VA ID card that the VA here will not issue unless your are receiving benefits. (FYI I got turned down again for not meeting financial need requirements even with SE Asia service.)

Our local VA office here in Michigan just started issuing picture ID's by just showing your DD214 and a pictured ID.
By the way, our local Home Depot gives you the 10% veteran discount with just the above card. I asked the manager and he did say its up to the HD where you shop! I was in our local HD this morning.

Scott  :)

Scott-0168 said:
Our local VA office here in Michigan just started issuing picture ID's by just showing your DD214 and a pictured ID.
By the way, our local Home Depot gives you the 10% veteran discount with just the above card. I asked the manager and he did say its up to the HD where you shop! I was in our local HD this morning.
Scott  :)
At  both the Lowe's and HD, near  my home in Reno, NV or here in SSF, CA I get the 10% discount with my VA card. I used the discount today in the SSF, CA Lowe's near here.

I also  discovered, just last week,  that Triumph dealers  give a $500.00 discount for new Triumph Motorcycles to those who have served. DD-214 required, as the cycle dealer  has to fax it to Triumph-USA to get paid back.  And here is the one I just bought last week, in my Reno home driveway. It's a 2013 Triumph Trophy SE, with every possible option they have. Heated hand grips, heated seat and much more. A great cold weather bike. ABS and traction control for the black ice and etc.

I am getting my toys for my retirement at the end of this year.

-Don- SSF, CA

Congratulations on the Trophy and the discount Don.

My first motorcycle was a Trophy; Back then (mid 60's) they were powered by a twin cylinder 650cc engine and had lower gear ratios than their speed cousins in the Triumph stable. The Trophy was built for sidecar use, but I used it solo off road (I didn't yet have a license).

Tom said:
Congratulations on the Trophy and the discount Don.

My first motorcycle was a Trophy; Back then (mid 60's) they were powered by a twin cylinder 650cc engine and had lower gear ratios than their speed cousins in the Triumph stable. The Trophy was built for sidecar use, but I used it solo off road (I didn't yet have a license).
I purchased  my 1971 BMW R75/5 with the money I saved from when I was in the jungles of Vietnam. Hard to spend much money out there! I still own that bike and it still runs like new (except I now need to change the clutch).

But I remember in those days the British bikes. I could not ride them with the gear shift on the right side and the brake on the left pedal. I tried, and I just could not get used to that, after riding so many other bikes, such as my BMW. I don't remember what year the British bikes changed.

Anyway, especially Triumph  has changed a lot over the years. They must be on the very top of the technology when it comes to motorcycles these days. I never thought I would ever own a Triumph, but because of the way they changed over the years, they now  make the perfect bike for me.

In other news since the last time we chatted here, Tom & I are now legally married since July 5 of this year. And I retire at the end of this year. Tom is already retired.

I am getting new toys to get ready for my retirement!

-Don-  SSF, CA

... Tom & I are now legally married since July 5 of this year.

Congratulations to you both! You had to wait a long time for that to be possible. I assume the happy day was in SFO?

Tom said:
Congratulations to you both! You had to wait a long time for that to be possible. I assume the happy day was in SFO?
Nope. Redwood City, CA.  Still, that day, more than half applying for marriage licenses there were same sex couples, even in Redwood City. BTW, SSF, is also in San Mateo County, just as is Redwood City.

-Don-

Thanks for the clarification Don; Wrong assumption on my part.

Hfx_Cdn said:
    Congratulations Don and Tom, on both your nuptials and upcoming retirement.

Ed
Thanks all. But I still think of our real marriage date being back in 1974, when we first met. We've been together now for 39 years, most of our lives in this one monogamous relationship. And still very happy together. We first met just a couple of years after I out out of the army.

And this month I've had the same job for 34 years. I maxed out on my retirement benefits and cannot gain any more, so I think this is a good time to retire.

BTW, here is what Tom and I looked like when we met just a few months after we first met (Photo take in Feb of 1975).

And here we are just a few years ago while in Gulin, China.

Tom is the Chinese guy, and I am the other guy in these photos.

BTW, my military info:

Army: March 1969 to March 1971.
Basic and AIT Ft. Lewis Wash.
RVN:September 1969-70.
B-3-8 4TH Infantry Div.
Mainly served in the Central Highland Jungles.
1970 Cambodia incursion.
MOS 11B (infantry).
Ft Carson, CO after RVN

-Don-  SSF, CA

BM2, USN 1968-72
USS Klondike @ 32nd Street Piers, San Diego 1968
Harbor Craft, NSA DaNang, RVN, 1969-70
USS Peugeot Sound @Newport, RI, 1970- 72

Proud to have served with some of the finest!

Freedom, for those who fight for it, has a flavor the protected never know.

Back
Top Bottom