Framily Veterans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
    Shopped at my local Home Depot today.  I got my 10% discount with just my ID card AND I parked in one of about 6 spots near the front door each with nice painted signs complete with an American flag that said,"Reserved for American Veterans".

Any of you vets with vision problems, including macular degeneration and diabetes related vision problems, GO TALK TO THE VA.  Ask to see the VIST coordinator. There is an exceptional program for low vision vets with free training and equipment including computers, talking watches, CT readers, and more, all FREE. I'm at the blind rehab in Tucson and the staff here are wonderful. If you have low vision problems, just do it !

Is there ANY mention of tinnitus in your service medical records?  If so, that would be the clincher.  Even if you wore hearing protection at all times out on the line, you're going to lose something.  The thing about VA claims is that you have to produce SOME kind of evidence.  Evidence can be in the form of what is known as a "buddy letter."  This can be as simple as something from a relative that states, "Fred never complained about ringing in his ears before he went into the military, but after he got out, he always mentioned it."  This statement has to be true and should be sworn to in the letter.

Something else that will work (and the wording here is CRITICAL) is a statement from your ear doc that says (CRITICAL part in all CAPS), "IT IS AS LIKELY AS NOT that the ringing in Fred's ears was caused not by aging, but by long exposure to F-4 jet engines."

I always recommend using a County Veteran's Service Office to help you fill out the paperwork.  They know the in's and out's, and what will and will not work.

mypursuit said:
    Shopped at my local Home Depot today.  I got my 10% discount with just my ID card AND I parked in one of about 6 spots near the front door each with nice painted signs complete with an American flag that said,"Reserved for American Veterans".

Thanks to this forum, I now know about and use my Home Depot 10% discount just by whipping out my Service Connected VA card.  Thanks to whoever the OP was!

All disabled vets and other persons with a permanent disability need to check into the National Parks All Access pass and your state of residence parks pass, if available.  http://store.usgs.gov/pass/access.html

Russell Cowley (CW4 Retired)
UH1C gunship pilot DaNang VN 282nd Alleycats
UH1C gunship pilot Dong Ha VN  48th Jokers

inscop said:
Thanks to this forum, I now know about and use my Home Depot 10% discount just by whipping out my Service Connected VA card.
There are many places that give vets a discount, but you must ask. For a few examples, Lowe's, Triumph Motorcycles (recently saved me $500.00 there!) and even 15% discount at  Safari RV Parts, at least the one in Reno, NV.

But in many cases, you have to know. They won't mention it, so you often have to ask if there are vet or senior discounts.

inscop said:
Thanks to whoever the OP was! All disabled vets and other persons with a permanent disability need to check into the National Parks All Access pass and your state of residence parks pass, if available.  http://store.usgs.gov/pass/access.html
And for those who are 62 or over, you can get a pass to all federal parks for free, after paying a one time fee of ten bucks.

-Don-  SSF, CA

Army -infantry 1969-1970 1/11 C company(red diamond) attached to 5th mechanized division rank E-6 after surviving combat in Dong Ha mountain area and Da Nang/Quang Tri=started as E-5 and then moved to platoon sergeant which meant Staff Sergeant E-6 -preferred foot soldier away from noisy personnel carriers and tanks=attracted too much attention and action

jbostic said:
Army -infantry 1969-1970 1/11 C company(red diamond)
I was also an army 11B, (September 1969-1970) but mainly in the Central Highland Jungles mainly between An Khe and Pleiku. Did you also get to see the jungles of Cambodia, as I did in April-May of 1970?

I did visit the base camp in Da Nang in July of 1970, just before and after R & R to Tokyo.

-Don-  SSF, CA  (B-3-8, 4th Infantry Div.)

Don Tom-did the Cambodian area also=we were told not suppose to be in that country but they did give me enough traing that I could read map well enough to call artillery and air strikes

jbostic said:
Don Tom-did the Cambodian area also=we were told not suppose to be in that country but they did give me enough traing that I could read map well enough to call artillery and air strikes
My experience was only slightly different. We knew we were in Cambodia, we knew when we were going in. We were told.  But AFTER when we "left Cambodia" , we were still in Cambodia, but a lot closer to the Vietnam boarder.

Like most Spec 4 grunts, I didn't carry a map. But enough of us did so we knew exactly where we were.

But I think of it as a good thing that our army runs on "bull feed".    It's the one fuel that they will never run out of!

-Don-  SSF, CA

William Alan Hall, US Army, RA 13668844 (17 years old out of high school) Fort Jackson, S.C., Fort Benning, Ga. Baumholder, Hohenfels, Germany. 1959 -1962, 293RD Engineers. Berlin Wall Conflict. Thanks to all who defended!

USN QM3 (Navigation)' USS Cleveland LPD 7, 1972 - 1974.  Two West Pac cruises to Asia, one of those to a small, quaint, but hot, island in N. Vietnam called Hon La. 

People ask me if Vietnam was hard.  I tell them that coming home was harder.

To all other Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME!  It's never too late to hear it.  Bob

Welcome Home.  Indirect involvement in Frequent Wind was enough for me.  AD-1 Ret

5/4 Cavalry,  2ABCT, 1st ID from 2006 - 2013. Retired on disability from two tours in Iraq. A special thanks to all who have seen the worst of mankind and all that helped support us. Thanks to everyone that has served and still is.

jmfl said:
5/4 Cavalry,  2ABCT, 1st ID from 2006 - 2013. Retired on disability from two tours in Iraq. A special thanks to all who have seen the worst of mankind and all that helped support us. Thanks to everyone that has served and still is.

about the 1st ID, do they still say "If ya gotta be one, be a BIG RED ONE" ?

I am still in awe and thankful to each and every one of you for your service. I am sorry that some of our new members who served never found this thread before turning their back on you and the rest of us here in the Framily, and most of us are very appreciative of you!

catblaster said:
about the 1st ID, do they still say "If ya gotta be one, be a BIG RED ONE" ?

Now it's,

"NO MISSION TOO DIFFICULT, NO SACRIFICE TOO GREAT"

"DUTY FIRST"

All you here and see everyday is "Duty first!" It gets old real quick especially when the brass beat it to death.  I came to the opinion that they thought if they said it all the time that those who didn't know better would believe their b.s. with with a sense of loyalty to the division even though you were getting the shaft.

I've just found this Topic, Thank you to all who are and have Served!

E4
US Air Force 64-68
El Centro Naval Air Station CA. 64-66
Nha Trang, RNV 66-67
Parrin AFB, TX. 67-68

Back
Top Bottom