Framily Veterans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thank you for posting that link. I'm fortunate enough to have visited the Memorial many years ago, a profoundly moving place. I didn't know that survivors were returning when they passed. Not many WWII vets left. Thanks to all of them for their service.

Ronny's speech is still fresh in my mind.  My son got a phone call from a MP Staff Sargent last night.  Upon hanging up, he trucked around the house cussing up a storm.  Red in the face, steam from the ears, eyes looking like he was going to kill someone.  The DW made him sit down and compose himself and try to find out what the matter was.  Keep that thought in mind.

Why did I think of Ronny's speech? 
I found it ironic of how true it was.  I remembered my son telling us how pride, dignity, integrity, and camaraderie are points that are stressed.  They train with battle buddies.  They watch each other's back.  Correct each other before a mistake is made.  They learn to trust each other to the core.  For it may be a fellow soldier that carries him off the field and saves his life.  The Soldier's Creed itself declares that a soldier will never leave a fallen comrade.  I found the speech ironic because apparently there are those in the military who feel the speech, training, and creed doesn't apply to them.

Back to the beginning...
The phone call from the MP was to inform my son that someone broke into his room (and the adjoining room) after he went on leave and cleaned him out of all the electronics he had.  Couple of 42" flat screens and video gaming equipment.  The wife was suppose to bring all that stuff home but our boy was told the day before leave that all of their belongings would be packed up, insured, and stored in a locked storage area until their return from Africa.  That's what he decided to do.  I guess it was a bad choice.  But who knew?

My whole point is how low can someone be to do this sort of thing to a comrade that they may be fighting next to tomorrow?  I can't understand it.  My boy was informed late last night that they do have a person in custody that they are 90% sure that this was at least one of the people responsible.  As of now, we don't know if any of his issued deployment gear is still there.  His passport, banking information, SS card, and such were all in a drawer.  Don't know if it's gone.  The room is considered a crime scene and sealed off. 

Here is the piece of info that disturbes me the most.  There is only one way to gain access to the room without a physical kicking in of the door.  The door locks are of the electronic type.  Much like hotel rooms needing a coded card to enter.  A master "key" is only available to a Staff Sargent and higher rank and must be signed for.  And they can not go alone.  They must be accompanied by whoever is on duty as a runner.  No forced entry was detected.  An inside job?

Sorry if this post has gone on too long.  I had to vent somewhere.  I haven't lost faith.  I just found myself shaking my head in disbelief on how someone who may have been going through the same training my son has for the past year, could turn around and screw a fellow comrade like this?       

Unfortunately...or maybe fortunately, the military is a microcosm of the rest of the country.  I've witnessed and even participated in more than one "blanket party" in my early days in the Navy.  Thieves abound everywhere.  Thankfully, my experience seems to indicate that that thief is just as likely to "have your back" in a battle as anyone else.

I know, Tom.  It just pains me that these young soldiers haven't even been on their first deployment yet!  They have been trained for weeks/months to rely on their fellow soldiers if needed.  As those same soldiers should rely on him.  And he needs to be there for them.  My boy is good to go.  Now he is a victim the minute he leaves base.  By at least one of his own comrades!

Doesn't do much in gaining trust in your fellow soldier, does it?

denmarc said:
I know, Tom.  It just pains me that these young soldiers haven't even been on their first deployment yet!  They have been trained for weeks/months to rely on their fellow soldiers if needed.  As those same soldiers should rely on him.  And he needs to be there for them.  My boy is good to go.  Now he is a victim the minute he leaves base.  By at least one of his own comrades!

Doesn't do much in gaining trust in your fellow soldier, does it?

UPDATE:
A second person in custody. More rooms found broken into. Some property recovered. None of which belongs to my son at this point. Hoping the wheels of justice are in motion. Staff Sargent staying in close contact with my boy with updates.  No specific details over the phone due to the investigation.

However, that good feeling is coming back! Those MP's are going to find all of those responsible. Maybe not all the property that was stolen from our soldiers can be returned, but maybe the trust lost.  It's a start.     

Ok, I can't stand it.  I apologize for bringing the thread down.  :-[

I see it's stagnant and it's officially Memorial Day in a couple minutes.  The DW and I just got back from dropping off our son back to Ft. Riley, Kansas.  1600+ miles in two days.  We're whipped!  I gave him a hug 24 hours ago and said I hope to see him in 9 months.  Remembrance now becomes an issue.  Which brings me to my point with the holiday at hand...

It's currently Memorial Day as I type.  I wish to give my sincere thanks to those who gave their all so I have my freedom.  I wish to remember those who didn't come back.  So that I have a right to put my hand up and speak my piece.  That I have a right to protect and take care of my family.  A right to be able to work and afford what I have.  A place to go on the weekends and enjoy nature.  The opportunity to travel this great nation to see its sights at my leisure.  Just to mention a few things.

I also give thanks to all in our military branches upholding that same constitution.  As well as those who have served and can enjoy the results of their service with their families now.  Thank you.

To all the rest, have a great Memorial Day weekend! 

Denmarc, it's ok to vent on this forum.  I for one understand your frustration.  I spent 30 yrs in the US Navy and saw a lot of s*$$ in that time.  There are always people that will turn on their friends.  It has been that way since time began.  I hope your son gets his equipment back.

Denmarc, that happens everywhere and all the time. While at Camp Hovey 1968 we had one of our mechanics stealing our hard to get tools. We laid a trap for him and he got caught and punished. It was my tool chest he had robbed but after he took a beatin from everyone else I didn't have the heart to bring any more pain to him. Next day he was transferred to the zone and I never saw him again. I bet he learned his lesson, good guy just sticky fingers and  he still would have walked into a fight for any of us.

Unfortunately, a thief is a thief and will most likely never be changed. The prison system is full of repeat offenders. Being AF retired, I seen much of the same type behavior. Years ago judges in our judicial system would take offenders and let them off if they would join the military. I don't know if this still goes on but I suspicion it still does. Don't want them in civilian life so ship them off to the military which is no better equipped to deal with them than the civilian penal system. Blanket parties were a way to deal with problem people but does not cure the underlying problem.

Almost immediate transfer after caught, while I was in the Navy.  Usually the next day, if at sea. Helo'd right out of there, it was never said, but it was assumed, the command was concerned of a "man overboard" scenario. It happens, I always say a prayer and wonder if the poor guy died for stealing, when I hear of one in the news.

Bill

This thread got really quiet! A quick update...

The boy is doing fine in Africa. Been spending alot of time in the camp gym. I think he is trying to turn himself into the Hulk! Minus the green color, I hope.  ;)
Doing his job manning a M-120 (I think that's what he called it).

Said he hurt his shoulder. "War injury"? Oh, hell no!!! Hurt it while arm wrestling a fellow soldier.  :eek:

That's my boy.

The M120 that I know of is a 120mm mortar that replaced the 4 deuce that I had to babysit for a while. Hope it's trailer mounted cause carrying around any part of that will pull out a shoulder.  Tell him I says Hooah and thanks.

catblaster said:
The M120 that I know of is a 120mm mortar that replaced the 4 deuce that I had to babysit for a while. Hope it's trailer mounted cause carrying around any part of that will pull out a shoulder.  Tell him I says Hooah and thanks.

Couldn't tell ya, Will. He posted a pic of the thing and to me it kinda looks like a M-4 with legs, a handlebar, and on steroids. A big SOB, but can be carried.  I probably got it wrong somehow.  Oh well...

Will pass on your message.

Did my service in the Air Force.

Aug '66 to Jan '78:  Active Duty.  First three years Security Police, then 8 years Accounting and Finance
Sep '83 to Sep '85:  Reserves.  Munitions Technician
Sep '85 to Dec '93:  Active Duty, Accounting and Finance

Brothers Forever.

We are an Army Family.
Myself: 1994-2003 (NBC - Reserve and Active Duty time). DH: 1997 - current (Acquisition Officer) . DS: 2009 - current (PYSOP).

Dianne

Lee Revell.  Did time in two services.
USAF, 1976-1980.  Tyndall AFB, Fla.  Avionics Tech on the T-33A trainer, F-101B/F Voodoo and F-106A/B Interceptors.
Got out for eight months, no good job prospects, reupped.  But USAF would send me back to Tyndall.
US Navy, 1980-1986.  Home Port NorVa, USS Ainsworth FF-1090 ASW Frigate, followed by a year at NAVCAMSLANT comm station, as Electronic Tech working UHF Radio and Crypto gear.
I enjoyed the six years in the Navy more so than the four in the USAF.  More travel, better overall experience.  One Med Cruise, seven months.  Saw obama's hometown of Mombasa, Kenya.  Reminded me of Quincy, Florida but without the Indian merchant class.  ;)

Back
Top Bottom