Framily Veterans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
USAF 1975-1999 Retired MSgt (E-7) Civil Engineering (HVAC).

Attachments

• IMG_0198.JPG
    IMG_0198.JPG
    67.6 KB · Views: 24
Oldgator73 said:
USAF 1975-1999 Retired MSgt (E-7) Civil Engineering (HVAC).

Hmmm.. Civil Engineering..  would that be, Red Horse ? If so,  we trained along side a lot of those guys at the CBC, Port Hueneme, Ca.. back in the 70's. 8)

Retired EOC (E-7) USN, SeaBees.

You don't hear much about the USAF "Red Horse" guys.. Same with us SeaBees ?  :(

BIG JOE said:
Hmmm.. Civil Engineering..  would that be, Red Horse ? If so,  we trained along side a lot of those guys at the CBC, Port Hueneme, Ca.. back in the 70's. 8)

Retired EOC (E-7) USN, SeaBees.

You don't hear much about the USAF "Red Horse" guys.. Same with us SeaBees ?  :(

Never was part of Red Horse. My son was in Red Horse in Korea. I was in Tech School at Sheppard AFB, TX with a few SeaBees and my son went to Tech School in Mississippi with the SeaBees.

Oldgator73 said:
Never was part of Red Horse. My son was in Red Horse in Korea. I was in Tech School at Sheppard AFB, TX with a few SeaBees and my son went to Tech School in Mississippi with the SeaBees.

Okay.. Gotcha. Great RV site here.. Enjoy

In the mid seventies, I too worked on F-4's except for the Navy.  We often wondered how the
Air Force got anything done with all there specialties.  Many times I was flown off the ship
to some airfield to fix a broken bird.  I was a qualified hi/lo power turn qualed mech and
my crew usually consisted of  3/4 kids of various degrees of talent.  We scrounged what
we needed,  often from our Air Force brothers, and somehow managed to have the bird
up and ready to fly back to the carrier.  These beach dets were much sought after
diversions from the ship.  Not only did we work hard, we got to play hard as well.
Thanks for your sevice.

42 AMMS Hound Dog Missile Mechanic Loring AFB Maine.  1972-1974.  Going to Catawba Ohio in morning hope to see a vet or two.

Anybody here serve in the Minuteman Missile field - U.S. Air Force?  I was on launch crew 1963-67, and maintenance officer until 1981 (retired).  Ellsworth and Grand Forks AFBs.

Buddy of mine was. Ellsworth sound familiar from talking with him long time ago...
Jerry Ryan.

Bill N said:
Anybody here serve in the Minuteman Missile field - U.S. Air Force?  I was on launch crew 1963-67, and maintenance officer until 1981 (retired).  Ellsworth and Grand Forks AFBs.

My Dad was a Nuclear Weapons Technician for a while.  Stationed at Lowry AFB.  I was just a wee lad then.

Bill N said:
I served at Minot AFB, ND, 463rd Combat Support Group around 1970, 1971. Helped maintain the 465L system and visited various LCF's as some of my equipment was in the capsule. Active duty 1967-1976.
"Why not Minot" was the cliche'. I can think of a few reasons why not, but I'll let it lie. :)
Thank you for your service!
Reggie

US Navy, 1985 - 1990, Fire Controlman Second Class, USS Belleau Wood (LHA 3)

I worked on the weapon system (radars, computers, data consoles, and other equipment) for the 5 inch guns. Most jobs in the Navy are either maintenance/technician or operator. This was one of the few that were both. We not only maintained and repaired the equipment (other than the guns - The Gunner's Mates handled that), but we also operated to consoles that tracked the targets and fired the guns.

bsandey said:
US Navy, 1985 - 1990, Fire Controlman Second Class, USS Belleau Wood (LHA 3)

I worked on the weapon system (radars, computers, data consoles, and other equipment) for the 5 inch guns. Most jobs in the Navy are either maintenance/technician or operator. This was one of the few that were both. We not only maintained and repaired the equipment (other than the guns - The Gunner's Mates handled that), but we also operated to consoles that tracked the targets and fired the guns.

You know what happened to the Belleau Wood, right?

markandkim said:
You know what happened to the Belleau Wood, right?

Yup. But it fought to the end. From what I heard, the live fire couldn't sink it, so they placed explosives on the bottom of the hull to blow a hole in it.

https://youtu.be/5CYXGOeQ-FQ

I came really close to being drafted during the Vietnam Nam war. It was 1969 and I was bussed from Daytona Beach to Jacksonville for my second physical (had to go the previous year also-classified 1A but was still in HS). After the physical and written test we had to line up in a hallway. A Marine walked up the line, from behind, and tapped every other person on the shoulder. Tapped the guy behind me and the guy in front of me. Those tapped were told they were now in the Marine Corps and to get on the green bus with the sign saying "Paris Island" . I would imagine they had to take the enlistment oath at some time. I knew a lot of guys that joined the Air Force, Navy and Coast Guard to avoid the possibility of being drafted into the Army or Marines. I just waited it out until 1975 when I joined the AF. I was twenty four years old and had been married two years. I don't think dodging the draft ever occurred to me but I don't have any feelings towards one way or the other towards those that did. I might feel differently if I would have been drafted and had to go over there. Having said all that, I don't think this forum topic was the place to declare being a draft dodger.

Honest question:  I served 20 years in the Air Force but I never heard of a Marine being drafted.  Did that service draft young men?  I always assumed it was a volunteer branch of the military.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom