Framily Veterans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think "depressing" was the wrong word. What I meant was perhaps "somber." There's a very strange feeling when you see it and when you're standing there on the monument.

Yea, somber is the word.  I remember going over to Ford Island, was stationed at Kaneohe... can't believe it was like 26 yrs ago already... definitely a quite moment on the memorial.

jje1960 said:
Yea, somber is the word.  I remember going over to Ford Island, was stationed at Kaneohe... can't believe it was like 26 yrs ago already... definitely a quite moment on the memorial.

It was 54 years ago for me :) ;)

jje1960 said:
The boat was in drydock that pointed directly at the memorial it was right in front of me as i climbed the ladder every time I left.

I was there at the same time sure is hard to beleive that much time has passed.  I was 19 and now my grandson is almost 2.

Jim:  On that 478 vs 490, I also noticed it was a poor photo of mine.  I think I had copied a small version of the original shot.  It pixelated pretty bad.  I believe the F4 was also the largest fighter that the U.S. ever used in combat.

The F-14 was a good bit larger than the F-4, I saw several times F-14's going off the cats over 65,000 pounds and likely would go off a lot heavier with a full load of ordnance. My favorite aircraft doing a supersonic pass was the RA-5C Vigalante, talk about a large aircraft, also had the J-79's as I remember.

mypursuit said:
    If were talking about the F-4 Phantom, built by McDonnel Douglas, it had engines made by GE.  The GE J-79 was a single spool, variable pitch compressor with afterburner.  I think it had 17 stage compressor and 3 stage turbine.  May be wrong on my numbers after 35 years and lots of beer. In full afterburner it consumed something like 36000 pounds of fuel per hour.  That was per engine.  Amazing engine.
I believe that was the same engines they used on the B-52's except it had eight of them. I was raised under the flight path to McCoy AFB....they would rattle the windows on take-off.

I'll wager that there is not ONE poster on this thread who can't remember their Service Number. (479-55-19)

D80-23-28    I think it was while I was in boot camp or shortly after the military went to SSN. The push now is  to remove the SSN from all ID cards.  The House Admiral's card has already been changed, mine when I sign up for Medicare. 

I think B-52's had the j-57.  May be wrong, but.  The J-57 also used on F-8 with afterburner and the A-3 Skywarrior and probably others.  I believe the Boeing 707 used a non afterburning J-79 as well.

mypursuit said:
  I think B-52's had the j-57.  May be wrong, but.  The J-57 also used on F-8 with afterburner and the A-3 Skywarrior and probably others.  I believe the Boeing 707 used a non afterburning J-79 as well.
The whistling J-57.  We lived right under the flight path at Whidbey Is. for a while (Victory housing).  At about 200-300 ft. on approach, the A-3 sure made itself presence known.

Just Lou...(513-41-27)

543 58 97. I can even repeat it backwards! When I reported to my first duty station after A school the sentry asked for it backwards while holding my ID. I did it much to his dismay. ;D ;D Never forgot it after that.

Funny how that service number never leaves you.  Also funny about a month ago I received a medal, for my navy tour in Gitmo and the blockade,  from the government. They were 45 years late. it just came in the mail.
Jim

Jim,

The Government has been late with a lot of awards for Vets. :mad: At least you got yours while you could still appreciate it. Too many never saw theirs.

Just Lou said:
I'll wager that there is not ONE poster on this thread who can't remember their Service Number. (479-55-19)

And some of us remember the service number of that special someone we wrote to while they were overseas. I can still reel off Mike's. When I was in, it was SSN, not nearly as interesting as a seperate service number.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MtnRV
Back
Top Bottom