Framily Veterans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
USN '76-'80 one boat, USS Blandy DD943, EN3 R division "A" gang, homeport Norfolk,VA.
"May the surface farce be with you".
The crew as a whole had a self deprecating sense of humor, but our boat was plastered with "E"'s. BLA...NDY... DEE DEE NIIINE FOOOUR THREEE, MICKEY MOUSE. Sung to the Mickey mouse tune, riding the bus back to fleet landing. Other crews didn't know what to make of us. Our CO was a hot sh*t, he got himself barked at a couple times for displaying amazing seamanship.

Bill

USAF 1952-1981.  20% bad, 80% good.  While enlisted, I was an airborne radio operator on cargo planes and saw the world.  My commissioned time was in USAF Security Service and I saw the world a second time....I enjoyed my service.

George Lewis said:
USAF 1952-1981.  20% bad, 80% good.  While enlisted, I was an airborne radio operator on cargo planes and saw the world.  My commissioned time was in USAF Security Service and I saw the world a second time....I enjoyed my service.

Hi George...I retired from Air Intelligence Agency in 2000, what you knew as USAFSS.  Where were you stationed while in USAFSS?

US Army-E5-VietNam 65-66, Big Red One, Search and destroy missions, Glad to see all our troops getting a nice welcome home these days. We did not. It was like they blamed the troops for the war. We were just serving our country and did not run off to Cananda.  :-\

kyjohn said:
US Army-E5-VietNam 65-66, Big Red One, Search and destroy missions, Glad to see all our troops getting a nice welcome home these days. We did not. It was like they blamed the troops for the war. We were just serving our country and did not run off to Cananda.  :-\

I got into a knock down, drag out fight with some hippy types the day I got back in December 1972, glad to say I came out on top of that one... :)

Thanks for your time KYJOHN!

I always thought that the "average" American didn't need to know that I spent the summer of '67 off, barely, the coasts of Egypt, Israel, and Syria on a pigboat sub either.

I have always said, and I'll say it again, that 'if mothers actually knew what happened in war, they would never let their sons go'. If somehow the mothers of the world could be convinced that war actually is hell, war would be stopped in a day.

You forget, there are mothers that make the supreme sacrifice of sending their babies off to school with a bomb around their belly.

Bill

Thanks to all of you.
  Sgt. USAF "62-"68: Orlando AFB, Lowry AFB, Denver, 873rd TAC Missile Squadron Kadena.
  WWII, Denmark '40-45. Grew up throwing rocks at the German's during the occupation. LOL
Niels

driftless shifter said:
You forget, there are mothers that make the supreme sacrifice of sending their babies off to school with a bomb around their belly.

Bill

I have never heard the name of a mother who is in the decision making hierarchy of those organizations. I didn't forget anything. I just have a different belief system than you.

Quillback 424 said:
I have never heard the name of a mother who is in the decision making hierarchy of those organizations. I didn't forget anything. I just have a different belief system than you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsZtBu5yiHY
Lisa Ling for National Geographic.
I googled "mothers of Palastinian suicide bombers interviewed". I received multiple hits.

Bill

My two cents...
Myself, wasn't in the service.  Not that I tried to avoid joining.  I just never thought about it that deeply at that time.  There was no draft and I was having too much fun being an idiot kid thinking I knew it all and making money.

BUT...I am the proud "owner" (I'm going to catch heck for that statement!) of a veteran DW of the USAF, Sargent, 1975-79, flightline mechanic.  And now the proud father of an Army infantry soldier at The Big Red One (Ft. Riley, KS).  He just reported this past Friday after leave from basic (Ft. Benning, GA). 

I get choked up every time I look at those newly framed pics of him in uniform on top of our entertainment center.  Pics of him and his comrades during training, pics of them during the Turning Blue ceremony and the graduation itself.  It just figures.  I'm not a little guy and have always held my own.  But now I feel so small, and proud as I look back.

A profound Thank You to all veterans.  I never realized the true meaning of it all until recently.  Forgive me. 

Marc, I too was in the First infantry at Ft. Riley's Custer Hill..The Big Red One. One of my fav sayings is "If ya gotta be one...be a Big Red One".

Some how I noticed a man in uniform looks larger than a man who is not in uniform. No I'll probably catch it for that.

Yep, that is where I left from for Viet Nam in '65. They shipped us out on a train to California then on a ship and did not tell us where we were going till we got out to sea. Duh!! Like we did not already know where we were going. Got action the first night in Nam. Top got killed the first night. We were told he pulled the pin on a garnade and was holding and waiting for an attack and fell asleep. (we had a long day and night) Killed him and wounded all in the CP. I was scared as he*#. But you put in your mind eather you make it or you do not. My mother did not know how bad it was till she made a trip to see her sister who liver over 300 miled away and my Aunt received a letter from me and my mother got a hold of it and read it. I was honest writing to my Aunt but now my mother knew how bad it was for us over there. I hated that she read the letter. Then she was worried to death. I was her only child. I was 21 at the time. I remember Fort Riley well. That was a life time ago. 

catblaster said:
Marc, I too was in the First infantry at Ft. Riley's Custer Hill..The Big Red One. One of my fav sayings is "If ya gotta be one...be a Big Red One".

Some how I noticed a man in uniform looks larger than a man who is not in uniform. No I'll probably catch it for that.

You won't catch it from me!  "Larger" is one way to put it.  Proud and disciplined is the best way to put it IMHO.  The DW and I drove down from MI to Ft. Benning in 17 hours to attend both the Turning Blue ceremony and the graduation.  I was fascinated at the number of those in uniform who sat in the bleachers also watching.  Family members and friends of those down on the field.  As well as those who just wanted to attend.  I could feel pride and honor in the air!  We are so glad we took the time to witness it all.  Not just to see our son graduate, but to see all of those new soldiers on that field who proudly stood in rank and file ready to move on to the next step.

Let me put it this way...
After spending about 11 days with him during leave before reporting to Ft. Riley, he left this house "larger" than he was before he went into basic!  But that's just through our eyes.

Always ask if there is a discount for veterans.  Stay at Berlin RV park between Millersburg and Berlin, Ohio this weekend. They offer Veterans a discount.  ;) Also, discounts for seniors and Good Sam
Park opened in 2011 and is very nice.  Right in the heart of Amish country here in Ohio.

www.berlinrvpark.com

HHC 2BDE 101st.
Phu Bai  Viet-Nam
1970-71

Don't forget Lowe's too! My Dad a WW2 Vet, hated my cousins that got out of the Vietnam draft because they were in college!

Scott  :)

I tried the Lowe's discount but they would not honor a DD214. They required an ID for retirees or active duty. I think they might honor any veteran on Veteran's Day.

Jim Dick said:
I tried the Lowe's discount but they would not honor a DD214. They required an ID for retirees or active duty. I think they might honor any veteran on Veteran's Day.
Join the VA and get a VA card. Lowe's requires a military ID that has a photo, such as my "Department of Veterans Affairs" ID card.

Go to your nearest VA hospital with your DD-214 and see if you qualify.  All Vietnam vets automatically qualify, regardless of income and such. If your income is too high and you are already covered elsewhere for medical and are NOT a Vietnam vet, you might have a problem qualifying.

IAC, talk to them and find out. It might take a few weeks to get the ID card, but when you do, Lowe's will give you the 10% discount all year (but it cannot be used with other discounts). I have received the military discount  in every Lowe's store I've been to, any time of year, since I have had the card.

-Don- (now Rving near Toronto, ON, Canada)

Our local VA office just started issuing veteran ID cards with a picture! Must bring a copy of your DD-214 of course. So check with your local VA office!

Scott  :)

Back
Top Bottom