Good Sam Rally in Phoenix, AZ 3-22/25 Anyone Else

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Did you all appreciate the tram drivers?  Here is a link to the blog of one of the tram drivers;  http://daily-blog.rv-boondocking-the-good-life.com/2012/03/i-think-i-fried-my-brain-or-at-least.html

If you want to know what he thinks of Good Sam management, look at his post from the day before.

Paul

I couldn't tell what his specific complaint was other than long days. My understanding was that Good Sam contracted thru PIR for the tram drivers so maybe his complaint should be with PIR? Driving a team at a rally is probably more like driving a tram at Disneyland than driving a tram at a race.

I couldnt tell his specific complaint either.  Just wondered if any of the attendees had issues with Good Sam management.

Paul

Paul & Ann said:
I couldnt tell his specific complaint either.  Just wondered if any of the attendees had issues with Good Sam management.

There were problems as there with any rally, especially in a new venue. All displays and seminars were in the infield with access thru one tunnel. Handicapped really had a problem. But the workers, who are almost all volunteers did what they could to fix things.

My biggest complaint was that concessions in the infield were controlled by PIR and water was $3 a bottle with no drinking fountains. And for the community service day, they only wanted 30 people and didn't bother telling those who sent in sign ups after they had 30 weren't told that they weren't needed. But even that worked out ok because they parked those who came for that day and only ended up with 30 people anyway.

In any event, we had a good time.

Wendy

My biggest  complaint was the big fence in front of the entertainers as if we were in a prison. There were few food vendors inside and the registration procedures required MUCH patience!  Volunteers were doing their best to make a bad situation better.

I do not think a race track with one entry/exit is  good for an event as this one.

Betty

PIR was not the best place for the rally but the Phoenix weather brought out a lot of enthusiastic RVers for a great week!

This was our first GS rally after a dozen FMCA rallies and we had a great time. Am also waiting for our $250 fuel gift card!

Betty, Scott is a friend of mine, did you mention my name?  Saw him the day before, he didn't recognize me at first, my beard is obviously a bit longer than last time I saw him, and he wasn't expecting me. 

I have the new mirror installed, decided to do it my self, was very easy and quick.  The only issue was the 6-pin connector, had male pins in it, just like the matching plug in the dash.  (not that there is anything wrong with that), but in an electrical environment, it just don't work.  Had to cut it off and splice on my old connector.  Added maybe 10 minutes to the job, I would have been quicker,but I had no wore cutters, had to gnaw them.

Then installed the new electric visors, this required moving the rear monitor, removing the old visors and the fans, fans will be put in a slightly different spot.  Then wire the switches in.  Switches mounted in a blank spt on a removeable panel on the dash with ogther switches.  Didn't have my snips, saw, roto-zip tool, had to gnaw the hole in the aluminum plate. 

All that is left to do now is complete wiring connections, remount the fans, and test.  The to the dentist, apparently gnawing is not that good an activity for my teeth.

Using my coupon here at Lazy Days for the one night, breakfast and dinner here at the clubhouse.  Oh, my other excuse, our son came over and took us to brunch, tried to get us to see where he worked at Air Traffic, but couldn't get a pass for the base.  So I didn't have a full day.  Tmorrow he is coming over and we are going to the range.  Have to get up early!

The Rally was fun, but mostly because of friends that were there with us.

Good Sam needs to improve their Rally organization and management.
One Tram Route for over 3,000 rigs? Multiple trams often filled toward to last stops making it frustrating for people to get on the trams.
The layout of the Vendor coach area was haphazard. Some long walks around to get from one display to another because of fencing. Several seminar areas were open to road the cars, truck and gas golf carts going by. No way that those of us with limited hearing had a chance with that kind of noise.
There weren't as many of the smaller vendors at the rally. It could be because it was very expensive for a vendor to be at this rally.
The on site concessions were limited and very expensive.  True they were controlled by PIR, but Good Sam should have negotiated a better deal.  Also the mobile sewer fee was $45, glad I didn't need that done.
This is the only rally I have ever been to in 18 years where I needed to go get wood to level my rig in addition to my air leveling system.

But they did bring out first class entertainment and I think that is what brought in the crowd.

PIR is a poor venue for a rally. All displays were in the infield and there is only one tunnel into the field and it is far away from the RV parking. We walked, but most needed those trams.

For the entertainment, the stands and viewing from the stands (through the race car safety fence) was not the best.

I would not come back to this location for a rally. I might attend a future Good Sam rally, but really only to be with friends.

Others may disagree with my views - that's OK, this is just my opinion.

ken

I agree with about everyone's assessment of the problems. I saw what a pain the trams were going to be and just rode bikes everywhere we went. We beat the trams everywhere we went. That's the problem with using an existing venue, it's their rules about everything. It's true, all events have their problems. This one just had many that affected us all.

I wonder where they're looking in Las Vegas - sure hope it's not the racetrack. Maybe they should look at Pomona instead.

Wendy
Pueblo El Mirage for a week

I bought some electric sunshades at the rally, they are now installed and we like them very much!  Terry and Wendy saw me carrying the 62" and the 27" shades out to the tram, what they didn't see was me carrying the 62" back to exchange.  I was off by just enough t make it near impossible to install.  Could have done it, but was going to have to make too many mods.  The 3 shades make it easy.  I have a triple switch I mounted on the dash. It could nit have been any bigger and still fit!. 

Pretty happy we got it done. 

PancakeBill said:
PLUS, while waiting foor the show to begin, Wendy found her match, then the gas cards, Mike and Wendy started with Goood Sam in 82, or 83, either wy a nice gas card coming their way.

Have your friends received their gas card yet?  Three months later, numerous emails to Good Sam, and we are still waiting.

fixed quote

Haven't got the card yet but Mike has sent an email. We have heard of people who did get the card so they are being mailed.

Wendy

Back
Top Bottom