2011 FORD F350 DIESEL 6.7

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jje1960

Wanted to feedback the new Ford Super Duty to forum members from our perspective.  After 10k miles of towing, the new truck has lived up to our expectations and has been affectionately named "the beast".  We waited and contemplated for a few years which trailer and TV to choose, found our sweet-spot.... Hope others find theirs as we have!

Molaker said:
Try 60 mph and check your mileage - if mileage is a concern.

Sorry, I can't drive 60 mph.  I barely made it to my destination one day late.  Let's see driving 20 mph slower on a 2500 mile trip would add just over 10 hours to the time of the trip. I left Charlotte on a Wednesday with the goal of making LV by Saturday, but I barely made it Sunday night to be at work on Monday.  If I had driven 60 mph, it would have added at least one more day. Actually more if you consider time for fuel stops.  It takes 3 or 4 tanks per day. 

Bruce, you are definitely an anomaly.  You are not RV'ing down the road, rather high-balling like a semi-trucker  needing to meet deadlines.  Our advise will not fit your life-style.

Did you pass me recently, almost blowing me off the road ?  ;D

We'll give you a pass.

Carson FL

Driving 60 vs 80 and you would make up much of that time by having fewer fuel stops.

Bruce Patterson said:
What are the differences between the 2008 and 2011?  I have the 2008 F450 model.  I get 6 mpg when towing and about 12 when not.  I drive at 80 mph with a 20,000 lb three axle trailer.
Basically the difference is the new 6.7l engine it's rated for 400hp and 800 foot lbs of torque. My f250 gets 20mpg at 67 on cruise, 11-13 towing.

Ned said:
Driving 60 vs 80 and you would make up much of that time by having fewer fuel stops.

Are you saying I would make up 10 hours over 5 days by driving slower?  Are you serious?  The solution is a bigger fuel tank or a chip for better mileage.  I had a 75 gallon tank on my previous truck, but it wouldn't fit on the new one.  Besides, how do you drive 60 when the traffic flow is 80?  I don't think that is practical or safe.  The speed limit is 75 and most people are driving at least 5 mph over the limit.  In Texas it is 80.  My truck is governed at 80 so I can't exceed that.  Probably wouldn't bee too good for the rig either.

carson said:
Bruce, you are definitely an anomaly.  You are not RV'ing down the road, rather high-balling like a semi-trucker  needing to meet deadlines.  Our advise will not fit your life-style.

Did you pass me recently, almost blowing me off the road ?  ;D

We'll give you a pass.

Thanks for the pass.  I get paid for driving.  $34 per hour plus 51? per mile.  The mileage doesn't cover the cost of diesel though. If I show up late, I could be docked some pay, but I've never had them do that.  They work with me if I have a problem. I actually charge them for less hours than I actually drive anyway.

glen54737 said:
Basically the difference is the new 6.7l engine it's rated for 400hp and 800 foot lbs of torque. My f250 gets 20mpg at 67 on cruise, 11-13 towing.

20/12 on your side, bout right, we are at 17/11 with the F350.  Bigger truck and more tire on the pavement.  As for "speedy".... hour after hour of 80mph with a 5Ver.... don't think there would be much left of my witts nor the unit on Rt95 with those speeds.  60-65 is comfortable for us, sometimes 70 if the road is nice.

Bruce Patterson said:
Are you saying I would make up 10 hours over 5 days by driving slower?  Are you serious?  The solution is a bigger fuel tank or a chip for better mileage.  I had a 75 gallon tank on my previous truck, but it wouldn't fit on the new one.  Besides, how do you drive 60 when the traffic flow is 80?  I don't think that is practical or safe.  The speed limit is 75 and most people are driving at least 5 mph over the limit.  In Texas it is 80.  My truck is governed at 80 so I can't exceed that.  Probably wouldn't bee too good for the rig either.
Yeah but those other drivers aren't pulling 20,000lbs. Try 70 mph and see what that does for your MPG. You would still make good time and if you can get 2 MPG better you will have fewer stops. With that kind of load at that speed its just a matter of time before something bad happens.
The 6.4 (designed and built by navistar) in your truck is powerful but from day one has been critisized for its poor fuel economy. The 6.7 was designed and built by Ford for power and efficiency and it does both very well.

Bruce-

I hear you about driving 65, I can't do it either.  While the gearing of the 450 is necessary to haul the weight it's also contributing to the poor mileage, check out Spartan Diesel for some slick aftermarket stuff that can really help the engine.

Depending on where the truck is registered, you can remove most of the emission controls that are killing your fuel mileage and gain a lot of HP as well.

Bruce Patterson said:

Uh, towing 20,000 at 80mpg, nothing is really going to help you there.  A bigger tank will decrease the number of stops you have to make, but I seriously doubt a chip will do you enough good to justify the cost of it.  If you "have to" go 80 with that trailer, you are probably just stuck with what you have.

Besides, how do you drive 60 when the traffic flow is 80?

Follow the example of professional drivers.  You may not have noticed, but now that diesel is more expensive and the federal government is tracking each company's safety record, most of the large fleet trucks are governed at 62-65 MPH.

There are still some 75-80 MPH cowboys out there, but they're becoming fewer and fewer.

We run at about 64 on interstates and find there are many other vehicles doing the same. Sure, people pass in the left lane all the time, but the right lane is slower in most cases. I find that I even pass people at 64 mph.

I have started doing the same as Gary. Drive at about 60-64 mph instead of 70-75 mph. Towing mileage went from a little over 10 mpg to 12-13 mpg. Not only that, but I am much more relaxed and less tired after a day of driving letting others pass me instead of me passing them and so is my long-suffering copilot. Of course, I don't have any schedules to maintain like the other Bruce.

Have been thinking about losing the 6.0 and getting a 6.7. Been asking opinions of owners and mechanics. So far, all the responses have been positive.

BruceinFL said:
Have been thinking about losing the 6.0 and getting a 6.7. Been asking opinions of owners and mechanics. So far, all the responses have been positive.

I should be getting my 6.7L either today or tomorrow.  I'm trading in my 6.4L.  It was/is a great truck, but I'm looking forward to the 6.7L.  It'll be a while before I actually tow my 5er, but I'll try and let you know how it does.  I also hear a lot of positive on it.

edjunior said:
I should be getting my 6.7L either today or tomorrow.  I'm trading in my 6.4L.  It was/is a great truck, but I'm looking forward to the 6.7L.  It'll be a while before I actually tow my 5er, but I'll try and let you know how it does.  I also hear a lot of positive on it.
Your going to love the 6.7!  Just did our second oil change last weekend, love the truck.  We got the "beef" with no frills, didn't even get carpeting, just ordered what we needed for towing from the factory.  From what we have seen with prices, we saved a bunch however got the truck I always wanted.

Alrighty then.  Got my truck finally.  Wow...what a truck.  I still don't have enough miles to tow yet, but I can't wait.  Man, the feel of that 6.7L is totally different than the 6.4L.  It just feels great.  I'll keep y'all posted when I am able to tow and have a place to go.

Bruce Patterson said:
Ned said:

I think all he and the others are suggesting (what I read) is that it's not a simple math equation (80MPH vs. 60 over 2500 miles).  Unless you are driving 80MPH while stopped...

But that said, this is an RV forum, and many trailers have trailer tires which are limited to 65MPH.  Unless you are running LT tires on a 5th wheel (which many do), you are breaking the law and being terribly unsafe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom