2011 FORD F350 DIESEL 6.7

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
edjunior said:
Alrighty then.  Got my truck finally.  Wow...what a truck.  I still don't have enough miles to tow yet, but I can't wait.  Man, the feel of that 6.7L is totally different than the 6.4L.  It just feels great.  I'll keep y'all posted when I am able to tow and have a place to go.

Congrats!  8)

Phil Hyde said:
But that said, this is an RV forum, and many trailers have trailer tires which are limited to 65MPH.  Unless you are running LT tires on a 5th wheel (which many do), you are breaking the law and being terribly unsafe.

My tires are 16" LT tires, load range E, and there are six of them on 3 axles.  On the truck, they're 19.5" tires, Load range G, also six tires.  Unless the tire is on the front (steering axle), I can lose a tire going 70 plus, and not even know it. I check them every time I stop with a big tire beater

Edit: Eliminated unnecessary white space.

Bruce Patterson said:
My tires are 16" LT tires, load range E, and there are six of them on 3 axles.  On the truck, they're 19.5" tires, Load range G, also six tires.  Unless the tire is on the front (steering axle), I can lose a tire going 70 plus, and not even know it. I check them every time I stop with a big tire beater

Edit: Eliminated unnecessary white space.

Exactly.  ;)  (although I bet you'd know it...)

Well, only my opinion, but running at 80mph is obviously well over the legal speed limit, hopefully an accident due to this speed does not hurt anyone, you, the innocent other.... all the specs look great, but if there is a horrible accident, none of this will matter.  I don't wish to go back n' forth with this, everyone does their own thing, but there is speed limits posted.

Here's some pics of the new truck.  It's a bit of a downgrade from the Lariat, but it has most of what I wanted, and I can add what I really want (XM/Sirius radio).  I can't wait to hook it up to the 5er and see how she does!

Attachments

• DSC_1435.JPG
    DSC_1435.JPG
    182.1 KB · Views: 40
  • DSC_1436.JPG
    DSC_1436.JPG
    187.3 KB · Views: 41
  • DSC_1437.JPG
    DSC_1437.JPG
    190.6 KB · Views: 32
edjunior said:
Here's some pics of the new truck.  It's a bit of a downgrade from the Lariat, but it has most of what I wanted, and I can add what I really want (XM/Sirius radio).  I can't wait to hook it up to the 5er and see how she does!
Very nice!

jje1960 said:
Wanted to feedback the new Ford Super Duty to forum members from our perspective.  After 10k miles of towing, the new truck has lived up to our expectations and has been affectionately named "the beast".  We waited and contemplated for a few years which trailer and TV to choose, found our sweet-spot.... Hope others find theirs as we have!
Absolutely LOVE mine...  Upgraded from a '97 7.3 PSD that I thought could pull anything.  What a difference.  Only 3-4K on mine, but most of that was pulling my 28' toy hauler or 21' car hauler...

Nice to hear others enjoying the new 6.7.  Ours is about 15mos old now, we have about 14k on it, have done two oil changes, will do the fuel filters next.  Very happy we got only the "beef", skipped all frills, didn't even get carpeting.  Only real extra was the aftermarket tailgate and stainless steel wheel covers.  All considered, the only other "extra" I would suggest for buyers is the rapid heat option, the beast does take some time to get up to temp!

I want to wish all you new truck owners the best of luck with there new toys. For speed I never tow anything over 65MPH. I have seen the wrecks over the years! I had a tire blow out at 55 MPH and thank God I was not doing 65. With the weight on the tires and the tires are not high speed rated why push your luck. It is too nerve racking looking for police when speeding. When my wife and I pull we want to see everything on the way and enjoy our rig. It is my job to keep my wife and dogs safe. the extra ware and tare is not worth it. Just keep in the back of your mind what if something happens and we wreck.

jje1960 said:
Well, only my opinion, but running at 80mph is obviously well over the legal speed limit, hopefully an accident due to this speed does not hurt anyone, you, the innocent other.... all the specs look great, but if there is a horrible accident, none of this will matter.  I don't wish to go back n' forth with this, everyone does their own thing, but there is speed limits posted.

Speed limit in Texas is 80.  Other states 75.  Less than 10 mph over is usually considered ok.

skirk55 said:
I want to wish all you new truck owners the best of luck with there new toys. For speed I never tow anything over 65MPH. I have seen the wrecks over the years! I had a tire blow out at 55 MPH and thank God I was not doing 65. With the weight on the tires and the tires are not high speed rated why push your luck. It is too nerve racking looking for police when speeding. When my wife and I pull we want to see everything on the way and enjoy our rig. It is my job to keep my wife and dogs safe. the extra ware and tare is not worth it. Just keep in the back of your mind what if something happens and we wreck.

I've had tires go out while going over 70 mph and never even knew it. Somebody had to tell me.  I have 12 tires on the ground.  Only time it's a problem is if it is the steering axle. That happened last year in Utah.  Well, I had to stop and get it changed.  But the other axles (I have 5) no problem.  The tire is ruined, but I can drive in to a repair shop.

Bruce Patterson said:
Besides, how do you drive 60 when the traffic flow is 80?  I don't think that is practical or safe. 

My maximum speed has been 55 all my life. I don't care if the speed limit is 55 or 80, I am doing 55. Doesn't matter if it is in a 39 foot DP or a car. And it is not only practical, it is safe. I have never had any problems going that slow except for the occasional idiot trucker who gives me the finger. I have never had an accident in my life. However excessive speed is one of the major reasons for accidents.

Phil Hyde said:
But that said, this is an RV forum, and many trailers have trailer tires which are limited to 65MPH.  Unless you are running LT tires on a 5th wheel (which many do), you are breaking the law and being terribly unsafe.

As far as I know there is no law for being stupid!  Towing at 70 or even 80 MPH with ST tires on your trailer that are only rated to 65MPH is not against the law, but it sure is stupid.
I really do not understand the necessity of towing at 80 on an interstate highway.  There are after all two lanes in each direction so why not simply get in the right lane, slow down and enjoy the drive?  So what if you arrive 15 minutes later than your buddies who insist on driving 80.  You will get there in one piece and well rested, not all stressed out from trying to keep up with them.

Bruce, I'm not sure the time crunch you are under, but it would seem to me that there might be a better way of scheduling things if you "need" to drive 80 mph with 20,000lbs on your back just to make it in time.  The big guys don't go that fast and they seem to make it in plenty of time ( I used to drive).  I promise I'm not trying to start anything, but man, driving at 80mph with that size load is unbelievabley reckless, I don't care how good you think you are or how long you've been doing it.  I never consider the need to "keep up" with traffic doing 80mph, no matter what the reason.  I wish those on the roads around you the best of luck. 

We don't feel like keeping up is required, just drive within the posted limits.  Do comment on those pulling or driving RV's from time to time that are exceeding the posted limits, usually when they are endangering those around them, that crosses the line and sits squarely in the self-centered and arrogant arena.  I commute 110 miles/day for work, every day all year.... see plenty of arrogant sob's on the road, wondering what is actually going through their minds....

Bruce Patterson said:
Speed limit in Texas is 80.  Other states 75.  Less than 10 mph over is usually considered ok.
Just so I understand this perspective clearly.... so posted speed limit is 80 and it's "OK" to go over that by less than 10mi per/hr.... so your view is that pulling 20k at 89 miles per/hour, sharing the roads with everyone else is acceptable?  There is a word that comes to mind (among others) very quickly here.... NEGLIGENT:

negligent, neglectful, lax, slack, remiss mean culpably careless or indicative of such carelessness. negligent implies inattention to one's duty or business <negligent about writing a note of thanks>. neglectful adds a more disapproving implication of laziness or deliberate inattention <a society callously neglectful of the poor>. lax implies a blameworthy lack of strictness, severity, or precision <a reporter lax about accurate quotation>. slack implies want of due or necessary diligence or care <slack workmanship>. remiss implies blameworthy carelessness shown in slackness, forgetfulness, or neglect <had been remiss in their familial duties>.

Bruce Patterson said:
Travel over the speed limit on I-44 in Missouri with a Texas license plate and you are very likely to be stopped and not just because you are speeding. :eek:  The speed limit is 70 mph, by the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7mark7
Back
Top Bottom