Truck specifications

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

davidsimmonds

I have a 2005 Dodge 2500 quad cab long bed RWD diesel. We are looking at a Wildcat 30LSWB 5er. Two adults, two teenagers (girl, boy)

Truck:
Max payload: 2,520
Max trailer weight: 13,350
GCWR: 20,000

5er:
Dry weight: 8,610
Cargo cap: 3,010
Hitch weight: 1,460

The trailer on the website does not have a bedroom slide, but the one we would get does. Indiana makes the no slide, Oregon makes the slide. We have to order from Oregon. I assume that the slide will add about 400lbs to the hitch weight. Do I need to have airbags installed?

Air bags won't change your truck's GCWR or GVWR or even the GAWR of the rearaxle, which carries the trailer pin weight.  They can help stabilize a load, tough.

However, you are probably within safe limits anyway, given the numbers you presented.  You should weigh the truck when loaded with whatever gear and passengers you will carry. Subtract that number from the GCWR and that's the max 5W you can tow. That figure may be more or less than the 13,350 max trailer tow, which is a fictitious number intended for tagalong trailers rather than fivers. Somewhere in the Dodge towing guide it will tell you that.

My only area of concern is your trailkers pin (hitch) weight.  With the trailer loaded up it is typically quite a bit more than the dry hitch weight in the brochures.  The actual hitch weight, when added to the gear and passengers in the truck, could exceed either the trucj GVWR or (more likley) the rear axles\ max loading (GAWR). Check that number carefully.

davidsimmonds said:
I have a 2005 Dodge 2500 quad cab long bed RWD diesel. We are looking at a Wildcat 30LSWB 5er. Two adults, two teenagers (girl, boy)

Truck:
Max payload: 2,520
Max trailer weight: 13,350
GCWR: 20,000

5er:
Dry weight: 8,610
Cargo cap: 3,010
Hitch weight: 1,460

The trailer on the website does not have a bedroom slide, but the one we would get does. Indiana makes the no slide, Oregon makes the slide. We have to order from Oregon. I assume that the slide will add about 400lbs to the hitch weight. Do I need to have airbags installed?

Trailer Life's 2005 tow specs list the 2500  5.9L I-6 TD 13,400 tow rating for 2WD and a 20,000 GCVWR for the entire rig.  You should be just fine with the trailer you specify.    Even the 15% head room we recommend for the mountain west gives you a corrected tow rating of 11,390 lbs, with a GVWR of the trailer at 11,620 lbs, you are close enough for government work.  Just remember to not go berserk with hauling junque.

Carl L

Back
Top Bottom