Keyless entry system

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tin man

:-\The 64 thousand dollar question.  Brought this up a few months ago, but have looked into it further.

The FOB works once in a blue moon.  Last time it worked, the MH twisted and turned to reach our site.  Campsite in Rhinebeck NY.  If familiar with campground you'll understand.  We left the next day, and the FOB stopped working again.

The service department REINES RV CENTER Manassas VA responded to previous owners request "check the remote entry. It's not working". Reines response on service report "the dead bolt was on. It won't release it. Operates fine after opening the dead bolt."

Now my question to all And to Reines is what does the dead bolt have to do with the compartment locks?  Is there a dead bolt switch on the Journey besides the door?

If the switch is on how come the door opens?

Has anyone encountered this problem?

As a side note when I asked my mechanic about this and explained to him what happened he said go back to the campground.  It will fix itself.  Sounds like loose wire.

Should keep us buy for a few months.

Thanks

Jim

Have you tried resetting the remote to the RV. With my van you stand next to it and push the lock and unlock at the same time you can hear ALL the locks cycle through. For the deadbolt ? have you looked in the hole to see if there is a switch or maybe a wire coming from the door into the jamb on the hinge side. Last idea fresh battery in remote.

On my 03 door I have the lock that the FOB works and also a manual deadbolt. The FOB does nothing with the deadbolt but whether our deadbolt is on or off the FOB still works the other lock. Maybe on the newer rigs they have something electronic to prevent the locks from working with the FOB if the deadbolt is on but I see no advantage to that?
Sounds to me that the dealer by just playing with the deadbolt moved a loose wire etc in the lock assy enough to get the FOB to start working again. I would check the door lock assy but only after replacing the FOB battery and re-pairing the FOB to the lock again as Robert suggests.

Yup - the dead bolt has nothing to do with the remote.

Check the contacts on the hinge side of the door, they are about 2/3rds of the way down and they must make a good electrical contact for the electric latch mechanism to operate.  Clean them with an eraser, wire brush, very light sanding with fine sandpaper, etc.

Jim - sort of copper-colored, but I'm not sure what the metal really is.  These contacts are are the number one suspect when the door electric lock won't work.

You know the door sometimes does yo clos all the way and have to slam it closed. I think the pieces of the puzzle are starting to fall into place.

I'll be in Florida in feb. so I'll have time to work on the door.  Fixed the leak looks like shoddy repairs.  Wrong sealer around sky-light.

Can't say too much about the previous owners choice og shops.

Jim

I think they are actually brass, but they get dirty, door no workie...

I can understand the door not working, but why does the compartment locks not work? Are they on the same circuit?

The compartment locks would be a separate circuit from the door, both controlled by the keyless entry module.  If both aren't working from either the keypad, switches, or key fob then you have a module issue of some sort.  If the door won't operate from anything, then it is most likely the door contacts.  If the keypad or switches operate the basement locks and door but the key fob doesn't, then you have a key fob issue.

I still have not found the module.  I can lock/unlock compartments/door from panel inside door and lock/unlock door from side console. The fobs work once a month and only once.  If I move the MH the fob stops working.  Almost like a loose wire somewhere.

My fobs work intermittently - currently one works 98% of the time and the other is kaput.  Maybe this winter I'll replace the entire keyless entry system.

John Canfield said:
My fobs work intermittently - currently one works 98% of the time and the other is kaput.  Maybe this winter I'll replace the entire keyless entry system.

John

Have you tried changing batteries?

I have had that intermittent problem in key fobs from time to time. The last time, since I did not know the age of the batteries, (1 year old car but when were the fobs produced??) I decided to change them out. In opening the fob I noted the contacts on the rubber-like carrier looked a little grubby. I cleaned all the button contact surfaces and the small circuit board using a soft, white vinyl eraser (like that used on pencil drawings) and 'voila' no more intermittents, at least for now. Did the same recently for the Garage door remotes!! Used to use the same  eraser on circuit board plugin contacts at work in the 'dark distant past'.

No, haven't changed the batteries recently, but that's a good idea.  That and cleaning the contacts.  I still need to replace the entire system though due to the outside keypad's self-destruction from the sun's UVs.

Funny.  I had problems with my key fobs and I took it to Reines for repairs and they work perfectly now.  Could it be that the previous owner was not clear to the service adviser on exactly what his problem was?  Or maybe the key fobs have developed more trouble since the repair was done for the PO?

Best Regards!

I posted the exact response fom Reimes.  It was a few weeks before I purchased the MH.

Like I said it's intermittent.  they sais it was because of the dead bolt.  I sent a inquiry to Reimes and have not yet received a Response.

Just wanted to say thanks to all of you.  My door lock quit working about 2 months ago using the fob.  The lights would flash but no door lock movement and the compartments were working fine.  I was to busy (lazy) to deal with it lately so didnt.  I read this post, walked out and cleaned the door contacts and viola, the remote lock is working again.  Thanks now the son and wife are amazed at what I did and dont even know how long it took but of course it took hours of troubleshooting, lol.

Tin man said:
The service department REINES RV CENTER Manassas VA responded to previous owners request "check the remote entry. It's not working". Reines response on service report "the dead bolt was on. It won't release it. Operates fine after opening the dead bolt."

Now my question to all And to Reines is what does the dead bolt have to do with the compartment locks?  Is there a dead bolt switch on the Journey besides the door?

Not to beat a dead horse but the PO's request was for the entry, no mention of the compartment locks.  This goes to highlight sometimes the RV owner doesn't give all the information to the dealer about the problem.  Of course, these key fobs are pretty unreliable any way and the compartment lock problem  may have cropped up after you bought the MH.  Didn't you check everything to see if it was working on the PDI?

Best Regards!

The FOB's worked, and after two days they stopped working.  I had it in a shop getting a hitch installed on my car.

I bought new batteries, and still not working.  Spoke to previous owner and he told me they went inetermitantly after having rear jack fixed.  He spoke to the service dept. andit was noted on the work order.

So yes I went over the MH, and yes I replaced the batteries, and yes I cleaned the FOBS.  I believe it is a loose wire, and nothing to do with the FOBS. The FOBS like the MH were well taken care of.  They are like new.

Reines called me this afternoon and pulled the work order and said the unit left the shop with the FOBS working, and we're very helpful in advising me to try to reset  the FOBS.  cannot locate the module. They were going to call me tomorrow with possible locations.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom