Socializing in RV parks - is it just my experience so far?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When we attended an FMCA rally at a fairgrounds in Orlando a few years ago, the FMCA "parker" had me manoever between a couple of trees. A friend and forum member was standing next to the parker and yelling at me not to follow the instructions. I ignored my friend, believing that the FMCA parkers knew what they were doing. Our coach still bears the scars.

While crossing the country as a brand new full-timer,so far folks that I have met have been aces(the best).One time at Wind Creek State Park in Alabama,I tried to start a conversation with the folks in a rig next to me and the person turned their back and went into their coach.Hmm-just having a bad day I reckoned.Other than that people have been a blessing.Traveling alone,folks in both private and state campgrounds have given me fellowship,and the benefit of their vast experience.Not attempting to seem a Pollyanna-don't we need that a little these days ?
Best wishes to all
Jeff

I have to agree with Marsha about being in the middle of the routine.  We were once leaving a campsite and DH was doing the sewer thing and while doing that my job is to do the toad hookup and set up for travel..This one time I certainly got distracted to dear ladies coming over to say goodbye, I got caught up with the chatter, turned the car off, left it in neutral thank goodness BUT took the keys with me to the motorhome, off we went..We didn't drive too far nor did we have to turn allot again thank goodness..We pulled into the laneway got stopped and DH kind of not so friendly said "those keys better not belong to the saturn"..Ooopsy, yep the steering was locked all the way home but at least the wheels turned...I was in trouble :(, I quickly said, oh no what does that mean...and I heard grumbling...and I just grabbed some things and disappeared for about 1/2 hour pretending to put stuff away....All this because people distracted me from my usual routine...All was well and the tires weren't too flat :)

While at Rallies we make attempts to be friendly and  mix with the group.  However when we are traveling from point A to Point B,  I  have no desire to strike up friendships with the neighbors.  We have usually gotten up way too early for us, driven a bunch of miles and now I have  lots of computing to do, TV to watch,  dinner to fix and vegging on the couch to do.  Sorry if I close my drapes and do my thing but  that is what I wanted to do.  I just might be on the phone with  some RV Forum framily or surely emailing them.  Hard to judge where folks are coming from. 

Some want socializing, some want to be left private.  All depends.  Read people's body language and go  with the ones who match your desires.

We also have a routine when hooking up  or leaving.  Hard to recall every step if distracted.  Come say hi if you must before we  begin hooking up the car and  doing the last minute walk around! 

Part of this I'm sure comes down to ones routine, on arriving and setting up, I talk the dogs into going for a walk to get to know the dog spots, they appreciate the chance to stretch their legs, and sniff all the new signposts, fire hydrants and trees.

Then when we are back at the site, I will either sit outside and prepare things for dinner, or sit out with a book or computer, that's the beauty of laptops and wifi, if the bench and seats are nice I'll sit at them, if not so nice I'll pull my big chair out.

In the evenings we will often have a fire in the fire pit, the dogs need regular walks, and so do the kids if they are with us, kids will seek out other kids, dogs will seek out other dog owners and lovers.

I wont turn anyone away from my site, unless you come with larceny in your heart, if the dogs don't like you chances are I'll not like you, they are pretty good judges of character for the most part, it's well worth listening to their advise.

If you are outside your RV then you are fair game for a conversation in my book, if you tuck yourself away and don't need or want my help, I wont bug you... but if you look distressed and / or wander around looking lost, I'll try and help out if I can, if you tell me you don't need it, I wont push it on you, but for those backing in or trying to miss tree's I'll be happy to ask if you want or need help, and if you say you do, I'll do as I'm asked.

Once we settle in for the night, knocking on the door will start the dogs, after I get them hooked up I'll answer the door, it can take a moment or two, if you are already gone it's not my fault you are impatient! I'll got there as soon as I can, and answer your needs if I'm able. 

A lot depends on your neighbor, currently there is a nutty couple on one side of us.  They talk about imaginary people on something called a forum, they jump in the Westy with us to go to Camping World, they want us to go to breakfast withthem up at the grille.  Oh wait...  It is Jim & Pat Dick!  Been so long since we have seen them up in Camp Verde.  ::)

I am sociable and will help if it appears yoou need help, but if things are moving along, I will just watch and see if I can learn. 

Before J&P rejoined us we had a couple pull in.  It was apparent the husband was not able to do things and wife was struggling with unhooking toad.  When I saw her with a mallet I offered to help.  They are new RVers, and she was not used to unhooking toad, so I offered and she was very appreciative.  Showed her a way to make it easier.  Also mentioned if I was around I would be happy to help her hook up.  She accepted.  Sad thing is, just about the time they got the coach her husband had a stroke which he is somewhat recovered from, but not totaly.  They have a great spirit and are planning a cross country trip. 

He drives it OK, but the climbing around is beyond his current ability and she is determined. 

I travel alone so I cherish most opportunities to chat with someone. I was strolling through the park one day, (November, not May) when I ran into a woman carrying a three foot Iguana named Bennie. Well, I didn't physically run into her, I saw her and stopped to start a conversation. I was on my way to the shower and didn't have my camera with me so I asked her to wait while I ran (actually walked) back to my RV and got the camera. Here is Bennie (she is a girl):

Attachments

• Bennie the Iguana.jpg
    Bennie the Iguana.jpg
    212 KB · Views: 51
Interesting discussion.  Two points come to mind:

1) As has been pointed out, many big rigs are home to their owners and are very nice homes at that so those of us who are "travelers" rather than "campers" choose to spend a lot of time inside.  That shouldn't cause others to judge us as "snooty".

2) In our travels, we found that the friendliness of those we meet changed from one part of the country to the next.  Generally speaking, we found folks out west to be pretty open and friendly while we were often looked at with suspicion when saying hi to people while back east.  The south seemed the friendliest of all.

Rick

I have noticed something like that Rick only a bit different. I have found when I am in a National Park that I can walk up to just about anyone and start a conversation and the person will respond. One of the best conversation starters in an NP is "and where are you from..." However I have found that if I do this out in the real world, like at a shopping mall, I will usually be ignored.

We have a very uniqiue family with 2 boys with disabilities and the 4 girls considered normal. The one boy is very out going and social his brother has major mood changes. He can be happy go lucky one minute and totaly huffy the next.There are times when they talk very LOUD and I think this put some folks off thinking they are freaking out. They are also VERY set into there personal routines and like thing the same way which being at CC is NOT so they are out of sorts for the first day. We have even had issues where the kids at CC pick up they are differant and start trying to act mean towards them.  It has made for some intresting times as well as some very hard STRARES from folks.

The girls have been brought up NOT to talk to strangers so the first day at CC is a little odd for them with all the folks waving and saying HI. Most of the time by the next day they are feeling more comfy about saying high and waving back. My 2 year old seems to think she is still at the CC and has been saying HI to everyone since our last trip in OCT. Which is very intresting to see folks react to her most will smile at least. There have been a few who seemed kind of put out by her speaking to them.

We have had it both ways with folks either being friendly or being stand offish. Since having the boys I have the mentality of like us the way we are. We try to be at least friendly say HI and wave as you drive by in golfcart.

Lady Fitzgerald said:
You have to talk the dogs into going for a walk?

Not at all, the reality is they run around and stand looking out of the windows at everything, as we setting out our camp, if they haven't been for a walk in two or three hours, they get the walk first and setting up camp comes second.

In the late evening, they are snuggle buddies, and convincing them they need one more walk before bed may take some talking to, (especially if the weather is bad and the snuggle is warm), but a lot less than they need to talk to me at 5 in the morning if they don't get that late night walk!

Our routine around camp is built around the dogs, the kids, the generator, walks, swims or sails, oh and meals play an important part of it all too.

SoEzzy said:
Not at all, the reality is they run around and stand looking out of the windows at everything, as we setting out our camp, if they haven't been for a walk in two or three hours, they get the walk first and setting up camp comes second.

In the late evening, they are snuggle buddies, and convincing them they need one more walk before bed may take some talking to, (especially if the weather is bad and the snuggle is warm), but a lot less than they need to talk to me at 5 in the morning if they don't get that late night walk!

Our routine around camp is built around the dogs, the kids, the generator, walks, swims or sails, oh and meals play an important part of it all too.

Some friends of mine have a 10 year old lab mix. When I visit there, the first thing that dog wants to do when I get there is to go on a walk. The poor guy doesn't get many walks because everyonbe there works long and hard so I try to make sure he gets at least one a day when I visit. I certainly do not have to encourage him. Even if he is sleeping, all I have to do is rattle his leash and he'll head for the front door, bleary eyed and bumping into things, but not wasting any time.

Before my divorce, we had a poodle who loved to go on long walks. After we would get back, he would empty his water dish and collapse on the carpet. but let me move toward the door, he was ready to go again.

One time, back when I was a lot younger and healthier than I am now, I was on a hike with a Church group and the woman that rode to the trailhead with me also brought her 50 lb Springer Spaniel. He handled the distance fine but his paws weren't used to the rocky terrain and he wore them raw. There were half a dozen strong, healthy men on that hike but not a one would help carry that dog. I wound up draping him around my neck and carrying him for the last five miles (funny how he kept gaining weight). When we got back to the woman's house, we carried the dog in, then she bathed his feet and put some salve on them. When we left to go get some supper, darned if that darned dog wasn't having a fit to go again!

PancakeBill said:
A lot depends on your neighbor, currently there is a nutty couple on one side of us.  They talk about imaginary people on something called a forum, they jump in the Westy with us to go to Camping World, they want us to go to breakfast withthem up at the grille.  Oh wait...  It is Jim & Pat Dick!  Been so long since we have seen them up in Camp Verde.  ::)

Yes, you really need to be careful getting to know those parked next to you!!!:) 

We always try to be friendly with our neighbors. It's just amazing who you can meet in a campground. We met a couple many years ago that owned a Monaco Signature Series coach. We had  a Bounder gas model. As it turned out, his family came from the same small German town where my Grandmother was born and raised! They were just wonderful to socialize with and we spent several nights enjoying their company.

We've also made close friends, as others have, with visitors from Europe that could buy and sell us any day of the week. Again, you could not ask for more friendly and loving folks. Along with that, we have met people from other walks of life that are getting by, as we are, and enjoying this wonderful lifestyle.

In most cases, we have found it does not matter from where you have come. We are all after the same enjoyment out of RVing, whether it be part time or full time. Granted, there are those who have their own agenda but they are the rare ones. We just back off whenever we encounter those types. Life is too short to worry about the few who don't want to be friendly. :)

back to the OP...

we do find that an RV Park and/or Campground does have a vibe (call it what you want)
this does impact the amount of socializing (again, call it what you want) that takes place

simply put, we have been some places that were very friendly (for example, everyone says "hi") and we have been to a couple of places that were not very friendly  (for example, you say "hi" and they do not respond)

there is a vibe at every place we've visited - and not just in the RV Park / Campground !!

but what's great....
if we don't like the place, we move along  :)

regards, pdq

I haven't seen much socializing here in Vegas but the motorhomes and tt's are scattered out and I think folks are out running around .  Up toward the front are the bigger ones but don't see folks out there either. 

Right now I think its just a combination of the weather, fairly cool and the fact people here are out and about in Vegas so I think nothing about it.

If we had stayed at Matagorda longer I think there would have been more socializing, it was a different set up.  Normally we aren't anywhere for very long.  And we aren't out and about as much as others on here so we don't have a real good feel for it.

We had slept in this morning, going to have a late breakfast in and take off for the Miracle Mile Shops at Planet Holiday, also buying our tickets for the show tonight.  I'm not driving today, taking the bus.

This has been an interesting thread.  We bought our 2004 Class A (used, obviously) about 18 months ago and we love it.  Problem is, 2 months after we got it and had not had a chance to go anywhere, DH has mulitple by-pass surgery which further delayed our "maiden voyage".  Fast forward to now and we've put a few miles on the rig.  I'm still afraid to drive it but know I must learn.  DH had a stroke back in '04 and although he's recovered well, he still has some residual damage (hearing and balance issues) but he's the driver and he'd really good at it.  We have met some wonderful folks while camping.  We love the lifestyle and want to sell the Stix n Brix and go full time.  As others have said, we sometimes seem less than friendly because we spend lots of time inside.  He may be taking a nap or resting or even on the computer.  I love to cook so I'm usually busy with that.  I wouldn't say I'm unfriendly, I'm just quiet till I get to know you.  We have gotten invaluable help from so many other campers when we first go started.  So, I'll try to be a little more friendly - say Hi first and come outside more (I'm highly allergic to bug bites and hate slathering on all that chemical stuff to keep them away). 

Jane,

You're not alone with the bug bites.  When we're in mosquito or no-see-em country, you will not find me outside.  It's not worth needing antibiotics because of a bad reaction!

ArdraF

This is a very interesting thread!  We've camped for years in tents, trailers and now MH's and have found for the most part people seem to be friendly.  There was a time once when I went to Mt. Madonna State Park. We were going for the weekend and my DH couldn't take the Friday off, so since the park was only 20 minutes from home, I went on ahead and got things set up.  When I got there, I was driving our 34' Super C and was by myself, I had to stop and get out several times to see where and what was around the rig as I was backing into the site.  As I was doing this, and like I said...I had to stop and get out, check the pine trees,  check the rocks, etc.  there were these 2 older men (probably my age) that stood there and watch me.  I wasn't sure if they were waiting to see if I'd hit something or just hadn't ever seen a woman drive a MH by herself.  I thought it was funny because that was one time that I really would've welcomed any help!

Mikie

Back
Top Bottom