Accu-Dish Satellite Finder

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rustyj

Anyone have any experience with the Accu-Dish satellite finder?? Seems a little pricey.

Their web site doesn't show a satellite finder. Do you have a link?

I've seen their "leveller" (aka tripod) and it's a nice unit, although it's a little expensive.

Tom,

If you have ALL the old compuserve files, George Mullen had a design that I think did the same thing.  I'm not sure I can reconstruct that file after this last crash!  :-((

James Godward said:
If you have ALL the old compuserve files, George Mullen had a design that I think did the same thing.

Hi Jim,

You have a good memory! I have a pretty good archive of what existed at a point in time. Unfortunately, many files had been deleted from the library before I took over the reins. With the help of a few forum members (including George), I tried to reconstruct the library. But, since there was no record of what had been deleted, it was tough to figure out what we were looking for.

Just for clarification, are you saying that George uploaded a file describing a satellite finder (the subject of this discussion) or a satellite dish holder? I have a copy of a message that George posted on a home-made dish holder.

Hi Tom -
I boo-booed.  The name of the satellite finder I've been looking at is called Align-A-Site not Accu-Dish.  It can be seen at www.alignasite.com.  Does anyone out there have any experience or recommendations?  I would really be interested in a description or plans for a homebrew satellite-finding device. 
Thanks for your interest (or anyone else's for that matter).
Rusty 

I have looked at the Aling-A-Site, at about $150 give or take a few dollars  Here is how it works

You use your software to find the dish pre-sets

You dial the settings into the Aling-a-site

You attach it to your dish, now you adjust so the arrows line up on the compass and the levels are all level, you are pre-set

Now you do your software driven "Fine tuning" which may be a bit trickey if you have not leveled the dish as a change in asmuty will change elevlation if not level.

Now here is how you do it using the traditional tools,  I like my Wineguard like compass better than the one Ron gave me, but it's about 1/10the the cost of the Align-a-site.

Get the settings from the software (Same as A-A-S)

Level the tripod (Same as getting the levels right on the Aling-a-site but easier as you are only leveling the tripod)

Set the now level dish to the direction that makes the compass nedel line up right

Dial in the elevation and skew figures using markings on dish brackets

Fire up the software and fine tune.. .NOTE: A change in asmuth (angle you are pointing) will not affect elevation since the dish is now level

So, what is the advantage of the Aling-A-Site?

It has a sight tube, you can dial it up, take one step back from your dish and sight through the tube (with all the bubbles and needles lined up right) and see if there is a tree in the way.

Of course I can do that using nothing more than my Wineguard like (It's actually a hiker's compass I use) and a protractor from the dollar store

Tom,

George up loaded both at one time or another.  I may have a paper copy in the MH for both.  Right now I am cleaning up after submitting my taxes so we can show the house this weekend and trying to recover from the computer crash.  Bought a new HD today so need to install that too.  Too much going on.

For Ron, we had a high of < 40 degrees and snow today!  VBG

Gee Jim we only got up to about 68 today but should be in the mid 70/s tomorrow.  Sounds like you went North too soon.  Snow in Lewistown today too I heard.

Back
Top Bottom