Towing in Canada

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

robdrew7

Just reviewed the post on towing in Canada, and found two interesting concepts:

1) "...  the trailer brakes must be capable of being applied by the driver independently of the towing vehicle's brakes".

2) "A breakaway brake is also required".

Does the average "built in the USA" trailer come with these two features?  If not, do I forget about towing in Canada?

Rob

Hi Rob,

For #1, that's dependant on your brake controller, not the trailer.  I can't speak for all trailer brake controllers, but mine does have a slider to manually apply the brakes on the trailer only.

For #2, my trailer was built in the US and bought by a local dealer at an auction for a US dealer going out of business.  It does have a breakaway switch.  Can't speak for all US made trailers though, just mine.

Marc...

I don't think #2 applies to ALL trailers as utility trailers won't have that facility in most cases. The feature would demand a battery be installed and connected and the trailer equipped with electric brakes which most utilities do not have. However, I see by another post you are looking for travel trailers and I think most would have that feature, US built or Canadian Built.

"Does the average "built in the USA" trailer come with these two features? "  Depends on year & weight of trailer and maybe the state.

My Canadian 5th wheel comes with a break away cable that  hooks on to the hitch. Havent had the pleasure  ::) to see if it works  :)
Howard

All new trailers are required to have a break away switch if their required to have brakes.  My state has been active the last 2-3 years passing out warnings to owners of  older trailers above 3000 lbs that they need the switch installed.  Some states have 1000 lb and 2000 lb brake requirements.

Brake controllers are in the tow vehicle and have a manual lever for activating the trailers brakes.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Opal6502
Back
Top Bottom