RV Tours

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

labowner

Since I am new to the forum, I hope I am doing this correctly. My husband and I have been RVing for almost 3 years, and have traveled cross country.  I would like to do a Nova Scotia tour with Tracks or one of the tours, since I am a people person.  When we went West, we had a trip of a life time, but I missed interaction with people for an extended time.  My husband thinks the tours are expensive.  Are they worth it, and are there seminars on tours?  What tours are best for the money.

Thanks,
Judy from Pennsylvania

Judy,

RV caravans are like traveling with a guided tour in, say Europe.? It depends on your traveling style, but IMO they are a bit expensive and somewhat confining.? You have to keep up with the group and go where the group goes.? Sometimes th group will take you to touristy locations rather than the real local points of interest.

RV travel is a lifestyle that is intended to be relaxing an fun where one can explore at one's own pace, and extend a stay in a location that is found to be pleasing.?

Travel in Nova Scotia is very easy, because the Nova Scotia Tourism Department produces an excellent travel guide with step by step directions accompanied by a color coded map that will take you to the most beautiful parts of the Province.

Contact? ?Nova Scotia Tourism : (800) 565-0000; or CLICK HERE

I have traveled the Maritimes extensively with our motorhome and would be pleased to share my experience with you.

In addition there are several postings in Destinations Forum Folder containing information on entering Canada.

Furthermore I would encourage you to check out Bob Howen's RV travel videos, which describe in detail how you can plan an RV excursion to various places.? One of his videos is titled Eastern Canada by RV, and the itinerary Bob describes and illustrates is exactly the road I would recommend. You can see, in advance the trip you might make.

[quote author=labowner ? My husband thinks the tours are expensive.? Are they worth it, and are there seminars on tours?? What tours are best for the money.]

Hi,
Terry and I just returned from a 38 day caravan to Mexico.? Yes it was pricey but if you measure results, I think it was worth it.? We got to know friends from all over the US.? We arrived at RV parks and all reservations had already been made.? Our restaurant reservations were made in advance and we visited places the "normal" tourist could never have seen due to the connections from the caravan. 50% of the value of the trip was the destination and 50% was the interactions and relationships we established on the trip. We traveled with Fantasy Caravans.? We watched their sales pitch at FMCA rallies prior to signing up.? From the navigators point of view I thought we were well taken care of with our group leaders!!? We never left before 7:30 am and we were ready to roll whenever the group went someplace new. If you didn't like the schedule you had the flexibility to stay at a place longer and catch up later.? ?Most of the evening meals were included and the laughs we had as a group could never be recreated if we traveled on our own.
Betty
[/quote]

labowner said:

I would like to do a Nova Scotia tour with Tracks or one of the tours, since I am a people person.  When we went West, we had a trip of a life time, but I missed interaction with people for an extended time.  My husband thinks the tours are expensive.  Are they worth it, and are there seminars on tours?  What tours are best for the money.

Judy

Welcome to the forum. We did a Canadian Maritime Provinces tour a few years ago led by Adventure Caravans. We compared the tour with all of the places listed in the tour guides and other tour operators and found that there was very little that we missed. And we didn't spend much, if any, time in the tourist traps.

Like Betty described in her comments regarding their recent Mexican tour, the tour group gives you a varied group of people to travel with (we are still in touch with many of those from our tour), you get to see things that you would probably miss on your own, arrangements are made for you and you just have to follow the route book.

We also didn't feel that the cost, after adding in all of the sightseeing fees, transportation and meals that are included, was too far out of line with what we would have spent on our own. We felt it was worth the extra amount.

Our primary concern on these tours is the leader. We had an excellent one for the Canadian trip but a lousy one for a Mexican trip using the tour company that Betty went with and she had a great leader. It is the luck of the draw.

{{what are FMCA rallies?}}

This is a very good question which will give an opportunity for other members to share their experiences with FMCA.

The Family Motorcoach Association? (FMCA) is an organization of over 300,000 motorhome ownes.? The FMCA provides a multitude of services including probably the best publication (monthly magazine) on motorhome life and technical issues.

Have a look at their website, from the link in blue.

The rallies sponsored by FMCA are, for the most part the most important motorhome events held on the continent.? The larger rallies attract thousands of motorhomes, and all the manufacturers show new products, provide free service and technical support as well as helpful seminars.

There are special interest groups in the FMCA and rallies range from smaller regional get togethers to international extravaganza's.

The cost is amazinglly inexpensive for the services and information provided.? I would urge you to look at their website, get a copy of the FMCA magazine and consider joining.?

Others will certainly share their insights on the FMCA so you can make up your own mind.

labowner said:
Terry, Perhaps a silly question, but what are FMCA rallies?

Judy

Judy,

Steve gave you a good rundown on FMCA. I may have missed it but you didn't say what kind of RV you have. FMCA is for motor home owners only, hence the name Family MOTOR COACH Assionation.

If you have a motor home, it is the best organization you could join. The benifits you get for your annual dues far excede the cost of the dues.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom