Time Lord Chronicals..."Three"...Converting "Stuff" to $$$

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Time Lord

?The Garage?. That place men tend to go when we?ve got ?stuff to do?. 

Why isn?t a garage called a ?carage?? And why does the word ?garage? look so much like ?garbage?? Is that a coincidence? Maybe it?s because ?mericans don?t put their cars in the carage, instead we put our garbauge in the garraaaahhge. You know?that pile of stuff that we might need, someday. The chunks of carpet that we might need for patching, the pieces of hard wood, doweling, drift wood we found years ago or the stump or chunk or burl wood that we were going to make into a table or something. How bout the coffee cans full of miscellaneous nuts, bolts and screws?? Never know when yer gonna need one of those. I?ve got two coffee cans full of nuts, bolts, washers, an screws. If what I?m looking for isn?t in one of those cans?ah really don?t need to fix it.

And how many car jacks does one man need? I?ve gotta couple scissor jacks, four hydraulic jacks, and a floor jack. I?ve got two jack stands and two metal car ramps. And how bout all those partially filled cans of paint and stain? I must have pulled out thirty each gallon cans and eight five gallon buckets of partially filled paint cans?not to mention the empty cans, or the cans that were five plus years old with nothing more then a dried up semi-soft rubbery substance stuck to the bottom of the can. Never know?I might get ambitious and stain the fence or the deck?someday. Every garage has got to have at least 6 rollers rolling, 5 rusty paint trays, 4 paint tray liners, 3 hardened paint brushes, 2 extension handles an oooooone cleeeeeean paint braaaaush?.

An how bout wire? Men loooove wire. Especially bailing wire, and extension cords?plugs ends optional. Got the three prong stove plugs, stereo equipment wiring, speaker wires, automotive wiring or various assorted colors, house wiring, cable jacks, splitters, and Christmas tree lights that don?t work jus in case I need ?spare parts?. Gotta box full of abandoned remotes, and power converters for everything from telephones to toys. I?ve got battery chargers for the car, the drills and power tools to rechargeable flashlight batteries. Course I don?t own any rechargeable batteries and I can?t remember what the power converters went to anymore?but ya never know. I just might run across the toy, razor or tool that matches the power converter.

An how about the plumbing stuff. Yeah?always need plumbing stuff. PVC, CPVC, ABS, and all the different glue and primer that ya need for each kind of pipe. Then ya got the copper pipe, the cast iron pipe, and the newer Peck?s pipe and all the little fittings that go with that. Gate valves, ? turn valves, sink valves, spare water heater elements, angled shut off valves, hoses and supply lines of any imaginable size. Soldering gun (or two), solder, flux, propane torch, meps gas and regular propane, with varied assortment of elbows, connectors, unions and drains. You can never have enough plumbing stuff. When I go to Lowes or Home Depot?ah always end up buying ?extra? stuff, cuz when ya need it?ya REALLY need it?NOW. Two Plumbing snakes, at least two plungers and two or three different kinds of fluid to clear clogged drains. Then there is the plumber?s putty, at least six rolls of Teflon tape, epoxy for those stubborn drips, and copious rolls of electrical tape and duct tape jus in case all else fails. Duct tape is one of those garage ?staples? that ya always have to have on hand. It?s the bread and milk of the Man Cave. In Viet Nam we called it ?thousand mile an hour? tape, cuz it was used to patch bullet or shrapnel holes on planes.

Then ah got the camping stuff, the pots and pans, the plastic dishes, four tents, the hammocks, camping chairs, barbecue, the sun shower, the cooking grill, the first aid kit, life jackets, fishing gear, tackle boxes (one for each kind of fishing I do), 10 different kinds of fishing poles, 15 different kinds of fishing reels, anchors, no boat, fish finder, no boat, a 10? lower batton for a sail boat ah usta have?an electric trolling motor, no boat, the blow up water wings, sleeping bags, ground cloths, the battery powered margareta maker that jacks into the cigarette lighter, swim fins and snorkeling gear, the 5000 kw generator, Coleman lanterns, the wiener roasting prongs, the foot pump to blow up the float toys and the air mattress, the two way walkie talkies and the whistles and a compass in case the kids git lost,..oh least I forget?the flare gun and pepper spay in case of emergencies or bear. 

I haven?t even gotten to the 10? inflatable swimming pool with filtration system, ladder and skimming tools. Tools?? Did I mention tools? I?ve got the axes, hatchet, splitting maul with an assortment of wedges, two chain saws, with accompanying gas cans, leaf blower, hedge trimmer, two weed whackers, one gas one electric, a telescoping limb pruner, two lawn mowers, one riding one push, an assortment of shovels, picks, rakes, post hole digger, pitch fork, enough hose to give Texas an enema?a plethora of sprinkler heads and hose repair gadgets, a spray mister, (never used), fertilizer and seed spreader, two air compressors, a stacking tool box with screw drivers, wrenches, hammers, pneumatic air tools, paint sprayer?deeply inhalesssssssss and other mechanic tools. Four step ladders, one extension ladder, hand tools, power tools, drills, both cord and battery, sanders, grinders, 5 hand saws, a bone saw, a chop saw, a table saw, two wet tile saws, skill saw, saws-all, buffer, belt sander, 2 ea. orbital sanders,  framing squares, 2 ea. snap lines, 5 different sized hand levels, a laser level, allen wrenches, star wrenches, and socket wrenches (both standard an metric).

So all this necessary ?stuff? has to go someplace?right? That?s why gawd created garages on the eighth day. Is it any wonder or surprise that contemporary home designs see the kitchens shrink and garages expand from one car to three car garages?? Who builds the homes?? Duuuuuhhhhh?Priorities ya know?? As any man can tell you?there?s never enough garage space?

har har har, it's so true. I've never owned a garage, but visited plenty of friends who do. I am always appalled at what I find in their garage. It seems to often resemble a work room, junk room, recycle room, garbage room, Christmas room and so on. Rarely do I find a car amid the mess, but often other wheeled things are in abundance as well as watercraft of different types.  :p

pbpbpbp< blowing raspberries>....you guys have never been in an "engineer's" garage.  There is nothing like it: organized, detailed and all the cars fit in it.  BTW, the cars are also clean.

Time Lord, after reading your post, you better get a very big motor home with lots of CCC (cargo carrying capacity).  That need for every tool and every "whatever I might need" will follow you  right over to your new lift style of RVing.  BTW, there are several articles in the library about living fulltime, you might want to check them out.

Marsha

My brother-in-law has a Garage Mahall .... very large, very organized and full of more "stuff" than any auto store or shop.

Wendy

Our cars fit into our garage.  I try to go through and pitch or donate annually.  It's hard with hubby but he tries to be neat.  He cleaned up his tool buildings but then he gets in a hurry trying to get everything done before he leaves and isn't quite as neat but we are doing better and I'm getting rid of more and more.  I need to get rid of even more items thouhg.

My one overloaded room is my sewing room.  I need to go through the yards and yards and yards of fabric and evaluate what I have.

Time Lord,

Between you and Seilerbird I'm cracking up laughing this morning.  You really nailed the 'merican garage thing!  ::)

ArdraF

Miss Ardra...Mission Accomplished. I have "entertained"...

I'm glad you enjoyed the read. The story that is unfolding began with a "thought" about a year ago. Just to give you a "Time" line reference..."One" happened last winter. "Two" around February/March. "Three"...which is the one you are on now happened around the end of June. The "Forth" installment that I will post today...occurred around September.

If you aren't able to get a chuckle or two during the read...I haven't accomplished my goal. Alot of the "preparatory" stuff is rather "dry"...but does add some perspective to the "process". Bare with me...it will get better.

Lil Miss Mermaid...what a pleasure to meet you...!!! Thanks for swinging by my place and checking things out.

Miss Marsha...the "engineer's garage" sounds very......ah anal errrrrorganized. And YES...it's gotta 12' "garage". Ah lived inna 10' camper for two years living on construction job sites, so I understand how to live in small spaces and the trade offs that occur with space/utility and need. Ah'm pairing down...snipping those "ties"

Miss Wendy..."Garage Marshall"...? Sounds like it works...My problem is a wife and kids who take the "stuff" that clutters the house and simply deposit it in some open spot on the garage floor.  (wife walks by reads post and says do NOT)

Miss PS...ah git thaa...more often then not...before I can do a "project", ah've gotta clean up "project" to do FIRST. Then ah can make another mess.

Not Garage Marshall.... Garage Mahall or Garage Majal (rhymes with Taj Mahal....i.e. a very expensive, fancy, spiritual place).

Time Lord,

Absolutely a great read!  We do manage to get my Brides car in the garage (one car) and she can open the doors and get out without any really high marks gymnastic type moves.  That being said we also manage to keep a snow blower, emergency generator and my snap on tool box on wheels.  Still, after reading your review I will admit I have some of almost every department you touched upon.  I honestly haven't seen the work bench in months and the storage containers are starting to vertically challenge us. 

This thread has motivated me to at least go out and pick through the storage for save and pitch contributions.

It goes in cycles here. I am on a "purge" right now. We are hosting a Dodge truck party in three weeks so I have extra motivation. I will be applying the 3 year rule. 2 year rule would sting a  little bit too much!  :eek:

When the nearest hardware store is 25 miles away, one tends to hoard a bit more than usual.  When I need something, I usually buy two.  After all, if I need one now, I'll probably need another later and buying an extra saves time and a 50 mile round trip. :)

I think Time Lord must have visited my garage; probably used that as a model for his wonderful post.

One way to solve the problem is the have a "Garage Sale". The whole thing, roof and all. How does one remove the fasteners from the foundation ?  ;) ;D

My computer den houses all the old wire, A/C adapters and many things that I didn't even know I had, old non-working radios, VCR players, typewriter and on and on. WhatamIgonnado ?

Carson FL

Sky...Wow, ah haven't seen this one pop up for awhile. Thanks for stopping, taking a read and dropping a comment. Ah 'preciate it...this one is the third of four so far. I'm working on the finishing touches of the fifth installment. We are SOOOOOOooooo close to leaving. All things a "go"...we should be on the road on or before March 1st...heading SOUTH to warmer climes. It's been a loooong haul to get where we are now, but we remain committed to the "vision". With four properties, rearranging my father's care, liquidating "stuff" in addition to the normal yada yada of daily life with a family of four...wheew. It's been a challenge on many different levels...

Mo...thanks for taking the "Time" ta read. Always nice to have you'n Sky in da house. If you enjoyed the read, there should be three other posts floating around near by. Totally understand what you are saying about having a "pair anna spare". Ah lived in Montana for about three years right on the shores of Little Bitterroot Lake. It is 25 miles West of Kalispell off of Hwy 2. The small community of Marion had a few basic staples and services...but beyond that, it meant a 50 mile round trip to town for anything else. The funny thing about thaa was...it took me less "Time" to travel the 25 miles Kalispell then it took me to commute 5 miles in Seattle. An a heck of alot nicer drive...at least in Montana, when someone waved at you (which was frequently)...they used their WHOLE hand accompanied with a smile, instead of a single digit accompanied with a furrowed scowl and piercing glare. sigh  ...a sign of our "Times"

Carson...thank you for the kind words...glad you enjoyed the read. Ah've posted several others that are on this topic if you'd like to read more. They are floating 'round here somewhere. Ah'm due for another post and update real soon.

It's amazing how all of our "stuff" can become a ball'n chain thaa tethers us to where we are. 

Hi,
Missed this the first time around. You're not really in the game if you don't also have a Jet Ski (original style Kawasaki), Three Wheeler (same brand), Five foot finish mower for the tractor, five (by actual count) push mowers (one of which works), lumber (1,000 board feet minimum), pump and pressure tank (originally used to provide water from the pond), and a few other gew gaws. Plus all of the stuff you listed and a full complement of electronics tools and equipment (scope, signal generator, etc, etc.).
JM2C worth,
Ernie

RE...(chuckles)

Ernie/Tara...the guy with the most "toys"...wins. YOU WIN...!!!

Back
Top Bottom