AZ drivers license - overseas license-holder

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
[quote author=Ned]We have often seen people from CA arrive an hour late for their appointments because of this time anomaly.[/quote]

We resemble that remark. On one occasion we sat in the parking lot on the US side, thinking we were there "too early"; When we saw folks coming back to their cars carrying their Algodones goodies, we realized something was wrong. Fortunately, we didn't have appointments that day, just felt dumb about the unnecessary wait  :-[

Dougie, it's not clear to me why you wish to obtain an AZ drivers license, since you clearly are not required to by their rules.

A show stopper for you would appear to be the lack of a US social security number (our equivalent of your NHS number) that AZ DMV says they need on the application. I suspect, but don't know for sure, that they might accept a US tax ID number in lieu of a SS number. But that opens another Pandora's box.

Does Arizona want you to plate your vehicle(s) there, too, when you subject yourself to their jurisdiction by getting their driving license?

Tom said:
Dougie, it's not clear to me why you wish to obtain an AZ drivers license
Purely for insurance rates, Tom.  Foreign license holders are loaded by a considerable percentage.

Dougie.

[quote author=Dougie Brown]Purely for insurance rates, Tom.  Foreign license holders are loaded by a considerable percentage.[/quote]

Ah, got it Dougie, thanks. I missed that one, but now recall it coming up in various prior discussions.

Our first year here, we were subject to 100% loading because we didn't have a driving record in the US. It didn't matter that we had California drivers licenses, or that we'd been on the maximum no-claims bonus in the UK for a number of years. When that first year in CA was up, our premiums for the same coverages with the same insurance company dropped 50%.

Most preferred rate companies will not write a policy with a foreign or int drivers license. those who do will up rate it as "unverifiable record. Even with a new license they will uprate for lack of a record for up to 3 years or more.
Occasionally one will slip through but not often.

By way of update.  There's good news and there's good news.

I now have a full AZ drivers license.  8)

Walked in to the DMV at 10:30am this morning, computerized theory test at 11:10 am (28/30), and driving test at 1:00 pm.  License issued at 2:00 pm.  Talk about service, and all for $10.

The only slight fly in the ointment is that they will only issue it until the date of expiry of my I-94, which means it can only ever be valid for a maximum of 6 months at a time, as some earlier posters suggested.  I do not however have to resit the test - just turn up with another $10 on arrival back in AZ, and they'll renew it.

Now for the call to the broker.....

Dougie.

Congratulations Dougie.

One question - did they ask to see your UK license &/or did they keep it? I haven't seen our UK licenses for years, and Chris keeps telling me that the California DMV kept them when we took our tests in 1980.

Thanks Tom.  They asked for it as one of two pieces of ID, and recorded the license number.  They kept it and my passport (and I-94) for the duration of the process, and the examiner handed it back at the start of the test.  They seem to be used to issuing licenses to foreigners (I'm guessing Canadians & Mexicans).  So my UK licence isn't compromised in any way.

Dougie.

Thanks Dougie. We have a good contact at the DVLA who could get our UK licenses re-issued, but only in the old A-4 paper format. Can't do the newer credit card style from a distance. OTOH we've always used our California licenses when we visit the homeland.

Congratulations with your DL.

Don't try to do that in Florida. After 9-11 it has been gradually getting worse here at the DMV and I'm not only talking about cost.
With regard to an IDL, as a foreigner, I have never seen useful purpose for carrying one; as one person wrote, just a piece of paper sold by a foreign AAA, post office, etc.
As to crossing the borders to Canada or Mexico and back, first get solid advice from an immigration lawyer. No problem for residents, but possibly a trap for Aliens and I'm not talking about ET. And I have lots of experience with that.
Van.

Thanks.  I absolutely fail to see how my visitor status changes by complying with State laws and obtaining a DL because they say I must (in this case, staying more than 7 months in any 12, doesn't have to be consecutive).  I retain my UK DL and am still a UK citizen with a UK passport - and an unchanged I-94 telling me when I must leave the US (max. 6 consecutive months).  If - as I did last year - I drive from the US into Canada for 3 months and return within the I-94 period, and then fly out the country several weeks later all within the allowed period, I wonder why Homeland Security would take a view on my status?

It's interesting you mention this, as a Canadian guy here did so an hour ago too.  He reckoned that they might refuse me re-entry for 5 years at the Canadian/US border because I had "exited illegally" - just because I obtained a US DL in compliance with US requirement??

Dougie.

seilerbird said:
Time for a really dumb question. If you are touring the US why would you want to spend more than 7 months in Arizona? I mean it is a beautiful place, but there are 47 other states in the lower 48...

Tom:

To experience our 115 degree plus temperatures. ::)  ::)

Forgot I hadn't updated with the point of the story!  My premium immediately dropped from $1,038 to $571, and the refund was on the credit card in 2 days.

Dougie.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom