My crazy cats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
S

seilerbird

I have two cats living with me in my motorhome, Tarzan and Jane, both about two years old. All my life I have owned dogs and birds so these are my first cats. I own cats now because they are much better at living in a small space like a motorhome. They both have a bunch of crazy habits that I have a hard time comprehending what they are thinking. I don't know if these are normal activites for cats or not. Here are some of the best.

Jane has a 10 second fuse. I pick her up and hold her, pet her and say sweet words to her and her motor starts running and she is clearing enjoying herself. Then the 10 second timer goes off and she jumps out of my arms. Same thing if I put her in my lap, 10 seconds and she is gone. She loves to lay on the floor and stretch all the way out while I scratch her back. 10 seconds later she is up and away.

When I wake up in the morning the cats are already up and playing. I like to lie in bed for an hour or so trying to convince myself to actually get up and start my day. At some point I will roll over on my back. About half of the mornings that I do this Tarzan will hear me roll over and come running in and jump on my feet. Then he walks down the whole length of my body and bangs the top of his head into my chin and then stands there on my chest so I can scratch his head. He will occasionally do this in the afternoon when I am lying on the bed watching a movie. Why he can't just jump on my chest to begin with and save walking my whole body is a mystery to me.

Jane is a conversationalist. She sees me walk into a room and she goes "burrrrup", so I go "burrrrup", so she goes "burup" and I go "burup", then she goes "burrrrrrup" so I go burrrrrrrup" and on and on. We are holding this great conversation. Of course I don't have a clue as to what she is saying and she doesn't have a clue as to what I am saying, but we do a lot of talking.

My bathroom is as small as a phone booth. When I go in to do a #2 I leave the door open which is normally closed and off limits to the cats. As soon as I am seated Tarzan jets into the room and jumps from the floor to my lap to the countertop. Then she stares into the sink waiting for me to turn the water on in a very slow drip so he can do battle with the drips, drink water from the drain and touch the water puddle with his paw. He has never shown the slightest interest in the kitchen sink. Reminds me of the old joke about the kid who asks his dad for a glass of water at midnight and when the dad delivers the kid sip it and says "That's kitchen water, I wanted bathroom water."

When I bring anything new into the motorhome in a box Tarzan gets all excited and stands right next to the box as I unpack it. He can't wait to get into the box. Usually he is trying to get into the box before it is even empty. Then when it is empty I will put it on the floor either with the open side up or on it side. Either way he gets right in, lays down and acts like he has just gotten accomodations at a five star hotel. He will stay in the box for a half an hour or so and then completely ignore it no matter how much longer it stays there.

Both cats make a very quiet "burrrrrup" noise as they land a jump, such as when they jump from the floor to the bed. It is like they are announcing that they have arrived.

I have bought just about every cat toy in Cats-r-Us and they will play with them for a minute maybe and then loose interest. However Jane has found her own favorite toy, a twist tie. Yep a twist tie. Not just any old everyday twist tie, it must be black (she is a black cat) and about 6 inches long and nice and wide, like the kind that come wrapped about power cords. If I unwrap one of these and set it down she will immediately come over and steal it and go play with it. She bats it around like a soccer ball, grabs it and gets up on her hind legs like Godzilla and bats it around, drops it and then pounces on it and plays some more soccer. I have seen her spend an hour at a time playing with the same silly twist tie. But give her a $15 track ball and she sniffs at it and walks away.

A friend of mine saw an ad on Craigslist for a free kitty so we went and got it. He was a tiny little thing, just a bit bigger than my hand, so we guessed he was about 6 weeks old. Turns out he had been abandoned and found in a car in that was being taken to a junk yard. I brought him home at 7pm and he didn't want to eat and only drank a bit of milk. My motorhome didn't have a heater and it was getting down into the 40s at night so I went to bed around 9pm and took him with me. I brought him under the covers and had him curl up against my chest. I was almost sleeping on top of him to keep him warm. Both me and my friend had our doubts he would make it through to the night. He did and I didn't even crush him. He spent the entire night there and didn't even get up to use the Poop Palace or get food or milk. Ever since then I go to bed and as soon as it starts getting cold in the motorhome he gets on my pillow to let me know to lift up the blankets so he can curl up on my chest. He never curls up to my backside, always my chest, and always in the same position. He is facing me with his feet on my thighs and the top of his head pressed up against my stomach. He falls asleep like that every night. So what I can't figure out is how does he fall asleep with his head on my stomach. Every time I breath my stomach moves in and out. I wonder if he dreams about being at sea in a boat. Some nights he gets into bed and his paws are really cold. Cold paws on my chest certainly gets my attention.

Jane loves to be scratched while she eats dinner. She will come over to me and meow at me like she wants to be petted. When I start to pet her she runs over to her dish and starts eating. She is trying to lead me over to her dish. So I go over and start scratching her while she is eating. Her motor runs wild. And of course she always obeys the 10 second rule and after 10 seconds of eating and scratching she usually walks around me in a circle and rubs up agains me on the way, then goes back to her dish for more eating and petting.

Tarzan and Jane love to play tag in the motorhome. They will start at the dash (Janes favorite hangout)(a human being could sleep on an RV dash it is so big and the view out the window is fantastic) and then suddenly one will chase the other to my bed in the far end of the motorhome. When they get they they will stop and then return the chase back to the dash. After a few trips back and forth they will end up either wrassling each other or licking each other's heads and ears.

Jane thinks that under the dashboard is the greatest place in the entire world. Of course I don't want her there because she could mess up the wiring. And of course when you tell a cat "NO" they think that means to try it one more time. So I have had to build a dam to keep the cat from going under the dash. Of course I have tried a number of different solutions and they don't help a bit. I have bought the spray that keeps cats away from an object, Jane thought it was salad dressing and just kept right on going under. I put a motion detector that let off a high pitched siren but she just figured out to walk real slow. Every dam I have built she has breached. So currently I have 3 large pieces of heavy cardboard, a pillow and their carrier that I use to build the dam. She hasn't breached this one yet but she reminds me of the T-rex in Jurassic Park that kept on testing the electric fences until they found a way out. Every time I start the motorhome I must remove the dam and then replace it when I park.

I have a nice large covered Poop Palace for Tarzan and Jane to use. It is one of those with a sieve on the bottom so all I do is remove the top, sift out the little presents, scoop them into a bag and put the PP back together again. Takes me about one minute and I do it once a day, usually in the morning. Jane waits for this moment. As soon as the lid is back on and I slide it back into place she goes in to inaugurate it. My friend who found Tarzan for me has 5 indoor cats. He told me that when he changes the litter in his house there is sometimes a line of cats waiting their turn to get in. Kinda like a cleaner station out in the ocean.

I got Jane about a year after I got Tarzan. I wanted Tarzan to have a buddy (not that kind of buddy, both are fixed). She had been living outside of my friends house and unlike most feral cats this one was friendly. So I thought I would take her in and see how she and Tarzan got along. She must have been abandoned because she was so thin we thought she was about three months old. I was shocked when I too her in to get her shots and get fixed that the vet said she was about a year old, the same as Tarzan. She had probably been living outside for a while and she was probalby not a good hunter. Their food and water dish is located right at the door to the motorhome. I go in and out of the door a dozen or more times per day. Each time I make absolutely sure that no cat leaves with me. I cannot have an outdoor cat in my living situation. Tarzan has managed to sneak past me 3 times, and each time I was able to get him back with out too much of a problem. If I leave the door open a bit too long he starts getting interested in trying to sneak out. Jane, on the other hand, sits eating quietly as I come and go and never even looks out the door, and has not attempted to escape even once. Her attitude seems to be "Been there, done that and got the t-shirt. No thanks." She knows she has the best thing going, a food and water dish that is never empty.

Several times a week I prepare myself a snack of tuna fish salad and crackers. I give the tuna water to Tarzan and the tuna can with a few bits of tuna in it to Jane. To prepare it I must get a can of tuna, a bowl, a bag of crackers and a paper towel from the pantry, then I get a fork and the can opener from the silverware drawer and the mayo from the refer. That is 7 items and I never get the in the same order. It doesn't matter what order I get them out in, by the time I have the fourth item out both cats will be purring and rubbing up against my ankles waiting for their treat. It doesn't matter if they are sleeping in the next room they always figure out that tuna is coming. I go to the refer, the pantry and silverware drawer many times during the day and they never budge unless they figure out that it is tuna time. I have tried to fool them. I go into the kitchen and pull out one item and then do something else, then pull out another item and do something else. Doesn't matter, by item four they are there. I think that on top of being crazy they are pyschic. Of course this means they have very acute senses of hearing. So what I can't figure out is why is Tarzan's favorite afternoon sleeping spot on my bed by my ankles while I am watching movies on my tv. She is laying less than three feet from the left front speaker and my hearing is not so good so the volume is never subtle. How can he sleep right next to one of my speakers?

A few weeks ago I had a visitor to my motorhome. Tarzan was asleep on my bed 12 feet from the door. The visitor knocked three times, knock, knock, knock. At the first knock Tarzan woke up. But the third knock he was standing by the door. I was suprized not only by the blinding speed he displayed going from the bedroom to the door, but also by the fact that I only get about one visitor a month and he knows that when there is a knock at the door that means someone is there.

Tarzan loves people and he also likes to dominate them. If anyone comes to visit me he will jump up into their lap as soon as they sit down on the couch. This surprizes people because most of the time when you go to visit someone who has cats they usually all hiding under the bed while they visit. But the really weird thing is Tarzan never jumps into my lap.

Jane spends most of her day sleeping on the dash or in the passengers seat, about 5 feet from my computer. About a dozen times a day I turn it on to check email and read forum posts. When I push the button to turn the computer off Jane hears it and immediately jumps up and runs over to me and meows so I can pet her. I don't know if she is watching for me to turn it off or she hears it, but she never misses.

A few weeks ago Jane was on the dash and she started coughing.  Tarzan heard her and immediately woke up and ran over to the dashboard. He got right next to her and as she was coughing he started licking her head. She coughed a few more times and stopped. Tarzan stuck around for another minute and then decided she was going to live and went back to sleep. True love.

Attachments

• Tarzan and Jane.jpg
    Tarzan and Jane.jpg
    218.9 KB · Views: 74
I love cats!  My cat loves to sleep curled up with her paws wrapped around my arm and her face next to mine.  She always hates it when the MH is moving, but as soon as it stops, she's home.  Of course, once my husband decided he had to have a dog, her peace and quiet was shattered.  The dog wants to play but our queen, knowing the dreaded dog to be a vastly inferior creature, does her best to avoid her.  She will never completely forgive us for bringing this creature into her home.  Although feeding and brushing her helps lessen the hurt. 

Loved reading about your cats!

Tom - If you haven't already discovered the mystery novel "The Cat Who ...." series by Lillian Jackson Braun, I'll bet you would really enjoy reading them.  When I first heard of them I thought what a silly premise for a mystery novel.  Ha!  By now I think I've read all twenty something of them.  I really enjoyed your stories.  :)

Margi

Thanks Margi - I have not heard of that novel because I have never read a novel in my life. If I read it must be non-fiction. I have tried to read novel and fiction but I can't get past the second page. I know I am weird. :eek:

Wendy said:
Never? Never ever? Not even in school? You are missing so much !
I don't remember much about my early school days. I hated English class so I doubt I would have read anything they wanted me to read. I guess I do remember reading Dick and Jane and I guess technically those are novels. I have spent no spare time reading novels, however I did spend a lot of my spare time learning to play drums, guitar, bass and keys, which sounds 1000 times more exciting that reading a book.

Our pets add so much to our lives. The two furbutts, Jo who is a Siamese cross, and Lulu, the toy poodle, each have their own quirks and routines. During the summer we leave a window open so the cat can come and go as she pleases. A little cool for that now so we don't let her out in the evening, if we do she will jump on the back door and cry until we get tired of listening to her. This usually happens an hour after we have gone to sleep. Ignoring her does not work.
Lulu sleeps on a blanket beside our bed. As soon as she knows we are awake she whines until we give her permission to jump on the bed, she gets on my chest to have her ears scratched then moves over to lay on Karen's hip. She always faces away, never toward us. When she climbs into our arms she always faces to the right.
Lulu is interesting when we travel. We leave a puppy pad on the living room floor at home but she will not use it in the trailer. I guess she does not like the smell. She sure is in a hurry to go out in the morning. ;D

Tom,

What a great write-up!  I'm not a cat person (sorry, Sheila and the rest of you) but they're fascinating creatures to watch - as you've just shown.  We all have our little quirks and so do they.  I loved the 10-second rule.  Somehow I can just picture you with watch in hand timing them!  ;)

Anyway, thanks for a fun and amusing caricature of Tarzan and Jane.

ArdraF

We have always been dog people also.
Our first cat is Nikki Damncat. We got her at about six weeks old from a woodpile at on my sister-in-law's place. She is nine now and has spent her entire life in the motor home.

She loves twist ties and paper clips. She is great at stealing both. My wife Lee has to either use a bull dog clamp or keep papers undercover to protect them.
I once saw my heat gun disappearing down the hall carried by Damncat because the cord was retained in a coil by a twist tie she wanted.
She plays with clips and ties for a while and then deposits them in two furnace vents. Mostly ties in one and mostly clips in the other. We discovered that when we pulled the vents while removing the carpet to install laminate flooring.

Like yours she waits watching the process while her litter box is cleaned and jumps into it to christen it.

I will probably be accused of anthropomorphising but I believe she has several vocalizations that have specific meanings.
She has at least these that I have figured out.

1) There is a bug on the ceiling.
This means I am to pick her up, hold her with her bottom in my palm while my other hand supports her by the tummy so she has both paws free to catch the bug.

2) Is there a bug on the ceiling?
Sounds very much like the first one and at first I thought the two were the same. This one means she wants me to pick her up and walk around looking for a bug.

3) The "hello" or "here I am' brrupt sound.

4) A bitchy little meow that means "Don't stop scritching my head"

5) A meow she uses when she is told to get off a counter or to stop doing something. I am not sure if it means "Okay" or if it's more back talky than that.

6) A meow she uses when we cough or sneeze. She will often say it several times while she runs over and jumps up in our lap.

7) One she uses when she lies on her back and wiggles around looking totally adorable.This is NOT an invitation to scratch her tummy though. She hates that and will bite and scratch if you attempt it.

8 ) There is a bird out there. This is very different from her other vocalizations and is sort of a fluttery sound. Her chin moves up and down rapidly when she uses it.
She will answer and hold a conversation if you ask her if there is really a bird out there.

We get a kick out of her and now that our two Shelties have passed on she is probably more spoiled than ever.

seilerbird---Excellent post!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Glad you finally posted a picture of your two cats.  We also had two cats that we took in the MH.  Unfortunately, three weeks ago we had to euthanize our beautiful 9# calico because she was dying from lymphoma.  She went down to 3.5 pounds.  So far our red mackerel tabby with white 24# Rusty (I'm holding him in my avatar) doesn't seem to miss her.  We really enjoy them/him.  They are loads of fun to watch.

In addition to "The cat who________"

Author Rita May Brown (or Sneaky Pie Brown or so she says, that is her cat, but in the book store it will be Rita)  the Mrs. Murphy series.

Author, as best I spell: Carol Nelson Douglass..  Series name Midnight Louie.. Pussyfooting, Catnapped and then Cat in a _Color word or phraseP

Example of phrases: Blue mood,  Jewled Jumpsuit,  Sapphire Slipper.

Outlines:

Mrs. Murphy and her animal friends solve the crime and occasionally save Mary "Harry" Harristine's life on the side (She is their pet human)  Harry is the postmistress of her own in the early books (Finally quits the job when the boss says NO PETS) and a farm/rancher.

In Midnight Louie.. The first book he meets Miss. Temple Barr.  Temple is a free lance PR woman, all 5 feet of her, Red head and likes High Heel shoes to make her taller.    When she first meets Louie it is in the Las Vegas Convention center where she is doing PR for a bookseller's convention.. One of them has been "Offed" in the Murder mystery parlance.. Louie leads Temple on a merry chase ending when she literally trips over the Dead Body.

It gets better from there.. Louie, of course, always figures it out before the humans do.. Sometimes he even fingers the bad dude.

And of course.. Temple's life has been saved by Louie on occasion too (And his by her beau, one of them, but that's a whole nuther plot line)

Other characters are the Mystifying Max Kinsella (Illusionist, hence the "Mystifying") Matt Devine (Well named hunk of ex priest) and Lt. C.R. Molina.  Homicide squad.. one of LV's fniest.. and I do mean finest. 

Clay L said:
8 ) There is a bird out there. This is very different from her other vocalizations and is sort of a fluttery sound. Her chin moves up and down rapidly when she uses it.
That is the one noise that they make that I can recognize, especially from Jane. Very low volume and sounds a bit like she is underwater, and don't bother her while she is checking out a bird, she will ignore you.

Tom,

With your two critter-oriented hobbies I sure am glad the cats are indoors and the birds are outdoors.  Imagine the chaos that would ensue if they were ever together without that glass between them!  ;D

ArdraF

ArdraF said:
With your two critter-oriented hobbies I sure am glad the cats are indoors and the birds are outdoors.  Imagine the chaos that would ensue if they were ever together without that glass between them!  ;D
My best friend from 1978 to 2001 was an African Grey Parrot named Winston. She and I could hold conversations she talked and comprehended so well. And my first choice for a motorhome pet was another parrot, but I felt a cat was a better solution for a pet in a motorhome. And several times after I first acquired Tarzan I thought that maybe I could add a parrot to the family. But at about 6 months of age I snapped this photo of Tarzan and that completely ruled out that idea.

Tarzan is so small in the photo.

Attachments

• Tarzan and a raven.jpg
    Tarzan and a raven.jpg
    188.8 KB · Views: 51
I just love the names - Tarzan and Jane! How cute!

Makes me miss my little kitty even more. She got her angel wings this year, but left her sweet paw prints behind on my heart. There's just something about cats! :)

go6car said:
I just love the names - Tarzan and Jane! How cute!

My oldest sister one day said to me "Oh, Tarzan and Jane, I get it." This was about six months after I got Jane.

I fished my Maine Coon Cat out of the bathtub yesterday.  I have three...Vierna, a tiny black shorthair, Maya, the previously-mentioned 28lb Maine Coon, and Briza, a 15lb orange tabby.  Vierna is a bit hyper, Maya is the most laid-back cat I have ever seen, Briza is friendly, though sometimes she still seems to think she's the 4lb kitten the other two brought home.  Like her attempts to lie on a 5" deep bookshelf, usually resulting in a THUD!

Maya loves water, walks on a leash, loves riding in cars...our theory: she thinks she's a dog.

Back
Top Bottom