Will 1,000 watt inverter run the refrigerator going down the road

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ct78barnes

We have a new 2011 Sightseer and have used the inverter to charge cell phones or watch some tv at rest areas. We have found only one outlet by the passenger seat . But was wondering if it has enough power to run the Refrigerator or not .

It depends partially on what your refrigerator draws. We sometimes run our Norcold 1201 off inverter while driving. The original inverter should do the job, but the more critical question is how long the batteries can handle the load. While driving, my engine alternator is helping by putting some charge into the house batteries. But we either turn the refrigerator off or to LP when stopping for more than 5 minutes as running it on electric will pull the batteries down fairly quickly.

You really don't need to run the refer going down the road. Many folks, like myself, turn off the refer while traveling. I do it because I don't want the propane on while I am driving. RV refers are very well insulated and even after an 8 hour trip everything is still cold and frozen.

Thanks for the info but was reading that the coach charges the camper batteries going down the road is this right . If so it seems that your batteries should stay charged even though you are using the inverter. It would seem safer than using LP gas going down the road. Also anybody that has a 2011 Sightseer if there are more plugs inside that has power from the inverter.

WE do not run our refrigerator when going down the road.  Myself like many do not want the propane on when the trailer is moving.  We fill all the extra space when there is some in the freezer with Blue Ice.  A full refrigerator will keep cold longer than an empty one.  If there is extra space in the main section top it off with the extra soda pop or beer you have.

600 watts through an inverter = ~ 50 amp draw on your alternator. Food for thought.
I am installing a marine fridge next time around, the difference in energy usage is astounding.

Running the fridge on LP is okay - I've never heard about a safety issue that was a first-hand and verified.  We have run the fridge on inverter for 68,000 miles with no issues.  My primary objective is to save propane.

Be aware when the heater (in the cooling unit) is on, your alternator will be pulling 50 amps or so.  That's not a big deal for our alternator or the big Cummins ISL, but it could be a bit of a factor for a smaller engine/alternator.

The propane/electric fridges use heat to cool with, odd as that sounds. The electric portion really is a heater, not a traditional compressor in a house or marine fridge.

The bigger question is if your refer is on a plug that is powered by the inverter. Mine is not and I have the 1000 watt Xantrex inverter. It powers all the TV's, the surround/DVD player and the satellite box.  Also the power outlets by the passenger seat. And now a plug that runs my computer at my work desk that I added, but it does not power the refer. 

The 2000 watt inverter in my last MH powered all of the AC outlets and the refer, but this one does not. 

Sorry for the hijack, but how about the TV in a motor home, will it work while driving? Yes I know about the safety issue.

Scott

Scott-0168 said:
Sorry for the hijack, but how about the TV in a motor home, will it work while driving? Yes I know about the safety issue.

If it is in view of the driver it will have an interlock that prevents the TV from turning on when the ignition is on.  If it's not in view of the driver, then it can be used while moving.  It's a safety issue, yes, but also law.

I have the same 1,000 watt inverter and was wondering how you added a plug to different location in your coach. I would like one by the table. The one by the seat works for my wife to charge the cell phone but would like more than one location.

I added one by jumping off of an existing plug that I know is powered by the inverter. In this case it was an outlet that powered my exterior TV.  All of the TV's in my rig are on circuits that are powered by the inverter.  Here is a link to the post with some pics that I made here on the forum  http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php?topic=43318.msg399951#msg399951 

Let me know if you have any questions about it. 

2004 Journey when fridge is on it is pulling ~ 4 amps, which is 4 x 120 = 480 watts.  I have not tried running it on inverter, but if you have some solar panels , say 300 watts worth, then the load on the alternator would be reduced.

I didn't know it was unsafe to run the fridge on propane going down the road.  I've driven over 15000 miles with it that way.  I leave it on automatic and let it flip to whatever it needs to while traveling.  I do turn it off when filling the gas tank though or refilling the propane tank. Am I wrong?

Back
Top Bottom