Improved grounding of my RV furnace fixed it!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ZuniJayne

Greetings, gang!

When I finally got around to trying to fix the furnace in my Arctic Fox, It was a challenge.  I had to undo the propane line (after shutting it off, of course) and drag the whole thing completely out of the enclosure to even diagnose it.  This is a major task in the Fox due to its location and my physical condition. <g>  The edges of the case are VERY sharp and can cut you in a New York minute.

The symptoms were that the fan would come on fine, but the burner would fail to ignite for some reason.  I took it apart and checked the orfice and burner just in case  Both were in great condition because the furnace quit working a few years ago and didn't get much use.  Because I mostly boondocked, I relied on my 8000 btu catalytic pad heater to keep me warm and it did.

I took apart the propane line where it came up to the furnace to see if it needed cleaning out.  I'd read that sometimes the oily additives used in propane can block the lines.  That was true of my hot water heater once, but not here.

I then tested all the circuits I could for wire continuity and voltage, and noticed there was low voltage (11.4) at the gas valves and ground. The standard ground went to a contact bar that was riveted to the furnace case, but the case wasn't grounded to the frame or return ground that I could see.  (I'm no expert, mind you.)

I'd read somewhere that a low voltage/bad ground could make an appliance not work.  I got some spare grounding wire left over from my now defunct Hughesnet dish, and screwed it directly to the furnace case.  Then I screwed THAT directly to the trailer frame.

Voila!  Furnace works like a champ!  A full 12 volts plus at the gas valve, etc.!  I finally needed the furnace because I'm staying near Albuquerque this winter and it will get below zero some nights.  The furnace in the Fox is ducted around the holding tanks  and should keep them from freezing up.  (I also skirted the Fox.  That REALLY makes a difference in winter.  I used polyisocyanurate foam board the last time because it is so easy to cut and fit, (and the silver backing matched the Fox), but the price has more than doubled!)

I'd hate to think how much I'd have to pay an RV shop for this diagnosis and fix.  I am grateful that I can do some of these things myself.  I encourage folks to try fixing some of these things on your own.  Most of the time the hardest thing is getting the round tuit.  ;D  You can get great advice here!

The picture below shows the old grounding terminal on the right and the new grounding on the left.  I think bad grounding may also be part of the problem with my hot water heater not lighting on propane.  I am hoping it is not the $100 circuit board.  :mad:

Hope this helps someone!  Now, where is that other round tuit???  ;)

Attachments

• New Fox furnace grounding.JPG
    New Fox furnace grounding.JPG
    30 KB · Views: 63
Well Jayne congratulations. My furnace was doing the same thing but I could not remove it since it is in such a horrible location. So I took mine into the shop. They removed it cleaned it up and reinstalled it and it worked. $330. Then next day it didn't work, back to the shop. They removed it and reinstalled it and it worked. Next day it didn't work. So I took it back. Another mechanic looked at it for about a half an hour and told me to come back the next day when the original mechanic would be there. The next day he took it out, replaced the entire furnace and now it works every day. So for my $330 they worked about 8 hours and replaced it. Glad it was them and not me doing the work.

Don, you can yank my chain.  Sometimes I need it to wake up!  ;D ;D

HFWPOH!  You are right - "hot water heater" IS kinda redundant!  ::)

Jayne,

I'm really impressed that you were able to do this yourself.  It's not an easy fix and I'm not at all sure I would have attempted to fix it myself.  Kudos!!!

ArdraF

Thank you, Ardra.  I am thankful to be blessed with a logical mind - when it works these days.  :eek:

Seems like for anything I do anymore  that I need to have a harmonic convergence of the right weather, my brain working, and my body working to get anything done.  I'm glad it still happens sometimes!  ;D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom