gas mileage Class A versus C

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pfun 1

Two motor homes,same length,same engine.one a C the other an A,which one gets the best gas mileage

Depends on weight.  Either way, I would think you would be within a few mpg either way unless you're comparing gas vs. diesel.

There will be no significant difference but the C will have a small advantage. Even differences in weight has little effect - the main factor in [low] fuel mileage is the amount of frontal area, which is what causes wind resistance. C's are generally a bit lower than an A, but both are large and blunt.

Smaller C and A's with gas engines will be around 9-10 mpg, while the larger ones are more like 8.

Weight has almost nothing to do with it. You right foot will be the determing factor. Gary on, the front end is the main factor and the height.

My last C got 11 miles per gallon and my current A gets around 9. But the difference is not due to the A C thing. The C has a fuel injected engine and overdrive. The A is got a carburetor and a three speed tranny.

As Gary noted there is very little difference, but for most of us, you get a lot more capacity for the mileage in the A than the C. Each will likely cost about the same for comparable length units, but there is no comparison for storage and convenience in driving and use.
IMHO gas mileage is usually a poor selection criteria unless you actually consider how much you can save by buying a smaller A and convert that to gasoline cost reduction.
Ernie

Ernie is correct. Let's run some numbers. I have read and I believe it, that the average RV travels about 6000 miles per year. If you get 11 miles per gallon that would be 545 gallons. At $3.85 per gallon (the cost right down the street from me right now) that would be $2100. Now if you get 9 miles per gallon that would be 666 gallons. That would cost $2566. A savings of $466. No way would I trade my A for a C to save less than $500 per year. Even if money was really tight.

To look at it another way, every one mile per gallon increase saves you $233 per year at todays gas prices.

The one putting less demand on the engine.  ie. using less fuel.  Road conditions being equal probably the one going slower.  Otherwise the one going downhill with the wind at it's back as opposed to the one going uphill into the wind.

My sister and I are about as close to A vs. C as you'll find. We both have 31' Winnebagos. We have a class A, they have a C. Both with Ford V10 2 valve motors. While I can get 8.0 MPG without a headwind and keeping my speed to around 60, they can get 9 even travelling a little faster. We have the same top 3 gear ratios in the transmissions, and similar final drive ratios (accounting for axle ratio and tire diameters). They are good foot shorter than us in height, so they have quite a bit less frontal area. They are also about 6000 pounds lighter, but as mentioned, going down the highway that doesn't really matter.

But, as has also been said, 1 MPG isn't going to save enough to ever worry about it.

Thanks for the advice.Camping World in Wis. has a 2011 Four Winds Serrano Diesel for 100 grand.I think I will have to take a look at it.

Kreuzfahrt said:
Thanks for the advice.Camping World in Wis. has a 2011 Four Winds Serrano Diesel for 100 grand.I think I will have to take a look at it.
If this is your first RV you might want to rethink buying a new one. The problem is you won't really know exactly what you want in an RV until you have used one for at least a year. A large percent of first time buyers sell or trade in their first RV in a year or so to get the one they should have gotten in the first place. If you buy new just remember that RVs depreciate like a sinking stone so you will lose a lot of money in that trade. If you start with something around $20k you are really limiting your losses. And a $20k class A will blow you away. That would be about a 2000 model with 20k miles. There are many RVs of that vintage that are in dynamite shape. An RV is an expensive toy and people spending that kind of money tend to take really good care of their stuff.

seilerbird is right... I would look into buy a used unit so you can get your feet wet and figure out what works for you best. It would worse off to commit to a loan on a RV and find out it doesn't quite fit you and the family.

Since I was out of the RV game for many years I did the same thing and picked up a used Jayco Eagle TT and fell in love with it. So I got lucky...  ;D

I bought a used 2009 Coachmen Prism in 2010 and I think I got a pretty good deal.I want a class A diesel  pusher but w/diesel fuel .50 higher I figure I will have to drive about 250,000 miles to get money back on savings from better mileage.Are pushers normally a higher quality coach.You guys are right there are some good deals out there on used MH's.

Where you live will have an effect on quality and the price of class A rigs in your area.  In my area 20,000 either gets you something in the late 90s without a slide or something in the early 2000s that needs work. 30,000 seemed to be the magic number to get something nice with a slide and also newer than 2000 and you can add 5 to 10k to that if you are purchasing from a dealer.  In WI in the winter you might be able to do better than that.  Not a whole lot of people who want to RV shop when its that cold.

Just some thoughts

Jeff

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MtnRV
Back
Top Bottom