Satellite Boosters??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

4ducksrus

I have a question that doesn't have to do with my RV, but I hope it's okay to ask it here anyway.  I have  Satellite (hughesnet) for my internet at home (stick house) and it get limited bandwidth.  I'm wondering if there is a way to boost it so that it would stream faster? 

I found a great job that I can do from home except you can't have Satellite for your internet...it has to be a hardwired high speed connection.  I'm thinking if I could get mine to be faster than perhaps they can do a speedtest and if it's fast enough will hire me anyway.

I appreciate any help and I apologize if I'm asking a question of the wrong nature.

Mikie

Nothing I have ever heard or read about.  The problem is bandwidth and how fast you can stream to and from the satellite.  It is just plane slow compared to other systems.  Heck, my smart phone is faster than hughesnet I had at my last job.

donn said:
Nothing I have ever heard or read about.  The problem is bandwidth and how fast you can stream to and from the satellite.  It is just plane slow compared to other systems.  Heck, my smart phone is faster than hughesnet I had at my last job.

That's what I was afraid of!  Thanks for answering anyway!!  I just wish I had an alternative...unfortunately, where I live it is the only option I have.

4ducksrus said:
That's what I was afraid of!  Thanks for answering anyway!!  I just wish I had an alternative...unfortunately, where I live it is the only option I have.

[/color][/color]I gather that an air-card from a cell provider isn't an option...my HugesNet is the same as yours....the "latency" of the signal is the killer. I have a Verizon air-card and it compared to my boy's DSL when I was @ his house...might have been a tad faster, to me anyway.

Thanks Icemaker for the suggestion but that's not an option.  Our cell coverage is dicey at best...Verizon works somewhat, Nextel and AT&T are nonexistent.  That's why I was thinking about this boost thing that I've heard people talk about using in their RVs, I'm just not sure exactly what they're talking about.

I have had Verizon's 4G service for the past year and the speeds are way better than land line, in fact way better than most fiber optics connections. Verizon offers three different fiber optics options, 15 mps, 25 mps and 50 mps. I have clocked my 4G connection as high as 37 mps. Of course if you don't yet have 4G service in your area it is a moot point. But Verizon is very aggressively trying to cover the entire country in 4G. Right now I am out way away from any major city and it is still running around 20 mps.

Attachments

• Speed test.jpg
    Speed test.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 12
Our cell coverage is dicey at best...Verizon works somewhat,

Ah, but you can get a booster amp and an external antenna for cellular, and that often brings a weak signal up to normal speeds.

You will also find that cellular data service works decently in areas where cellular voice is crappy quality. That's because cell data has error recovery at the packet level, whereas voice simply throws away error packets. The data rate slows down when the signal is poor, but it usually gets the job done.

The only way to increase your bandwith is to increase the "Bandwith" of the funds flowing from your accounts to Hughesnet's accounts.

That is buy a more expensive data plan.. I do not recommend it.

Gary RV Roamer said:
Ah, but you can get a booster amp and an external antenna for cellular, and that often brings a weak signal up to normal speeds.

You will also find that cellular data service works decently in areas where cellular voice is crappy quality. That's because cell data has error recovery at the packet level, whereas voice simply throws away error packets. The data rate slows down when the signal is poor, but it usually gets the job done.

My Bad...Gary's right and I use a cell booster @ home..no service w/o it enough to text and sometimes talk with it..forgot to mention that...I bought mine from Wilson via internet ..was $100 ...until the Amish need a tower closer to me it's my only option for cell ..thought about Skype but HughesNet advises against using it..

The problem with satellite for some applications is not the speed, you can get faster speeds for more money, but that won't solve the basic problems.  One is the latency inherent in satellite communications.  Ping times will run from about 700ms to over 1000ms and vary considerably (jitter).  It's the jitter that is the biggest problem making VPNs and streaming protocols difficult to impossible over satellite.

I would guess the company requires a VPN and that just won't work over HugheNet.

Ned,
The job is for an online customer service rep.  I have the most expensive plan with Hughesnet now because I used it in my past profession.  I had to do a lot of traveling on a daily basis and decided to retire and change wheels so to speak!  This just sounded like something I could handle for the long haul and even take on the road when that time comes.  Oh well, something else will come up...like my grandma always said...Lord willing and the creek don't rise!  I'll just keep searching.  Thanks for your input, I appreciate the education!

Mikie

There are other satellite internet services than HughesNet that work better with some services.  You might want to call Motosat and ask them about alternatives to HughesNet that may work for you.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back
Top Bottom