USB Modem failing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Jerry, bless your heart, you are speaking Greek here. Maybe one in a hundred here will be able to comprehend what you are saying.

Jerry's point is the number of bars is not a good indicator of the signal quality.  There is a lot more that affects SQ than just signal strength and bars is a very crude indicator of signal strength.

And as Bernie states, 4G isn't replacing 3g, it's a whole new network with all new tower equipment and has no impact on the 3G service.

Ned said:
And as Bernie states, 4G isn't replacing 3g, it's a whole new network with all new tower equipment and has no impact on the 3G service.
I'm going to disagree with this line of thought because I doubt if Verizon has brought on enough additional staff to cover 4G needs.  I suspect much of the 4G staff (maintenance, engineering, etc.) came from those groups supporting 3G and 3G support is now getting the short end of the stick because I doubt if new staff is being brought in to replace the experience staff that were moved to 4G.  I do agree that the technology and equipment involved is separate, but not the manpower supporting both.  As to whether or not this might account for the increased connection drops, maybe si, maybe no.

Ned said:
Jerry's point is the number of bars is not a good indicator of the signal quality.  There is a lot more that affects SQ than just signal strength and bars is a very crude indicator of signal strength.

And since it's on 700MHz, it will tend to have better coverage over the 3G system on the same cell site, all other things being equal.

SVCJeff,

I should have mentioned that...thanks Jeff.  700 MHz used by 4G penetrates trees and so forth better than the higher frequencies used by 3g.  That is why submarines use very low frequencies to penetrate through the very dense water.

JerryF

What Molaker said. I agree they're seperate systems, but the money only divides to a total of 100%; if you're spending it on 4G, there's less for 3G.
Ernie

I think the money factor applies to things like customer support, but a 3G tower is a stable system and shouldn't need much  ongoing maintenance. Sure, parts fail and so on and need replacement, but those sorts of problems don't cause individual modems to drop a connection.

What I am wondering is what will happen to the 3G system once they have converted the entire network to 4G. Will they sell it to another company? Keep it for backup? Sell it on eBay?

seilerbird said:
What I am wondering is what will happen to the 3G system once they have converted the entire network to 4G. Will they sell it to another company? Keep it for backup? Sell it on eBay?
I'm hoping they will move it to my area.  We still have 1xRTT only towers around. :(

The 3G networks will have to be kept running until nearly all the 3G only devices have been replaced with 4G ones.  That will take years as there are tens (if not hundreds) of millions of those phones and air cards.  It's similar to the digital cellular services replacing the analog AMPS, both were run in parallel for a long time before AMPS was finally turned off.  And there are still a few pockets of AMPS service around the country.

I was under the impression that the 4G network would also handle 3G signals. I would think it would be backward compatible.

3G and 4G have quite different specifications and 4G is not backward compatible with 3G.  Here's a comparison of the 2 services.

JerArdra said:
SVCJeff,

I should have mentioned that...thanks Jeff.  700 MHz used by 4G penetrates trees and so forth better than the higher frequencies used by 3g.  That is why submarines use very low frequencies to penetrate through the very dense water.

JerryF
According to the link Ned posted on comparison of 3G & 4G, 4G is 2-8GHz, not 700 MHz.  So, which is it?

DVDs, Blu rays and CDs all have quite different specifications and my Blu ray player can play them all. I don't see why it would be so difficult to built a transmitter/receiver that could do both.

Under such a scenario, it would appear that AT&T is basically building its LTE network today. As part of its new 4G contract with Ericsson and ALU, all HSPA base stations deployed this year and onward will be able to support both 3G and LTE.

http://connectedplanetonline.com/3g4g/news/att-3g-to-4g-upgrade-path-0112/

That article is nearly 2 years old and I'm not clear on how much of the conjecture within still applies.  And the carrier with the largest 3G and 4G networks, Verizon Wireless, uses CDMA for 3G and LTE for 4G and those are not the same hardware.  AT&T uses a completely different system for its 3G system that is updateable to 4G LTE but they're way behind VZW even if they can use some of the existing infrastructure.

And US 4G isn't really true 4G, they modified the definition so the quasi-4G systems being built in the US could be marketed as 4G, but they're really don't meet the full specification.

Verizon would be foolish to build a 4G network and not make it backwards compatible.

VZW already has a working 3G network that covers nearly the entire country, why would they want to duplicate that?  And much of the network infrastructure is common, like the fiber connections to the towers and the IP routers.  The new hardware is the radios and other tower related equipment.  I'm sure they share the equipment buildings too :)

They don't want to duplicate it, that is why they would simply change out the 3G equipment for 4G equipment and there would be no need to build additional towers and run more wire.

They can't just throw away the 3g equipment - what would all the 3g users do?  4g is a different radio frequency (700 MHz) as well as incompatible protocols, so no existing phone would work with it.  Eventually the 3g stuff will be obsolete, but not for several years yet. There will be "legacy" 3g stuff for a long time yet.

Back
Top Bottom