Generator won't stay running

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cooldaddy8

Hello again I was hoping someone could help me with my 1997 onan 5000 won't stay running it starts fine but as soon as I take my finger off the start button the unit dies I did a service on it the guy that sold us the 1997 33ft hurricane told us he hasn't used the generator in 5 years any help would be great as we have a big trip headed south soon Thanks

You will need to get the carb rebuilt or buy a new carb. When a gen sits unused the gas inside it turns to gum. Generators need to be started and ran monthly. I start and run mine weekly. 5 years is the kiss of death.

I had a friend look at the carb and he said it was fine that it was clean in there and that the gas wasn't that bad that he thought that it had been run recently

The symptoms you describe (runs until you take your finger off the start button) are generally indicative of one (or more) of four things. They are, dirty or oxidized slip rings from non use, a bad voltage regulator, a bad circuit board, or a defective oil pressure switch. I would start by cleaning the slip rings. You can get an inexpensive tool to do it here. and can get a troubleshooting guide for your generator here.

They work really well Tom. One side is a little coarser than the other. Before I got mine, I was gluing emery cloth onto a strip of wood....didn't last very long... ;)

Dennis, I've bookmarked the link. It's approx 45 years since I worked at an electrical repair shop that repaired and rewound motors and generators of almost all sizes. I don't recall having to clean/dress slip rings  ???

cooldaddy8 said:
I had a friend look at the carb and he said it was fine that it was clean in there and that the gas wasn't that bad that he thought that it had been run recently
So he took the carb apart and is positive the jets aren't gummed up?

If he only looked at the outside that will tell him nothing. It must be inspected on the inside, that's where the gas that gets gummed up is. As waterdog stated there are a few other things to consider and I would consider them first.

An Onan generator will also shut down if it is not producing any 120v electric.

Holding the start button down bypasses all the built-in checks for proper operation, e.g. adequate oil pressure and power output. When you release the button, it goes back to normal mode and will shut down if anything is wrong.

Like Gary said, holding the start button down only proves the engine will run.  It says nothing about the condition of the generator (except that something is amiss if the unit shuts down when the button is released).

Here's a little start sequence I typed out when I was working on mine to help me understand what was going on....maybe it will help.

Attachments

• Onan Generator Starting Sequence.docx
    10.2 KB · Views: 57
[quote author=Just Lou]I made my own tool using a #2 pencil and a strip of Scotch-Brite pad.[/quote]

Lou, you might have missed my attempt at humor; Click on the link and take a look at the name of the product  ;D

Check the oil level too, just to rule that in or out.  But it certainly sounds like some carb work will need to be done, if the genset hasn't been run regularly and under load in the last 5 years.

Just FYI to all the fuel problem/carburator problem posts....If the generator is RUNNING as opposed to just cranking with the start button held down, it kind of rules out carb or fuel problems and points to whatever is not letting it continue to run ie: oil pressure or no voltage being produced.

Water Dog said:
Just FYI to all the fuel problem/carburator problem posts....If the generator is RUNNING as opposed to just cranking with the start button held down, it kind of rules out carb or fuel problems and points to whatever is not letting it continue to run ie: oil pressure or no voltage being produced.
;)

Back
Top Bottom