Grille Gaurds for RV's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

camperAL

Greetings,

I was wondering how many RV'ers use some sort of a Grille Guard on the front of their RV's? While I am sure most people prefer to get in a campground or place to camp before dark, driving at night could result in impact with a deer (I hope not worse!!).

I don't mind traveling at night time to make time but to protect an investment like an RV, perhaps some sort of guard would be in order.

Probably should have posted this in the general section but since I am focused on B vans myself would rather hear from the B Van people. :)  Others are welcome to reply as well.

CamperAL

Take a look at other peoples grills.  Very few have them. I think most grill guards to more damage when they are hit by something.  Just my opinion.  And good ones are not cheap.  I mean in the $1500 plus range for one that is braced by the frame and not bolted on with a cheap grade metal to the bumper. At one time I thought about a front hitch to install a firewood type carrier that would double as a guard.
I've never gotten any "deer dents" but had "owl dents".
If I were to get one I would look into the "ute"  bull bar.  Friend has one and it looks pretty good and strong but not cheap.
do a search on  Ute BullBar? Complete Bumper Replacement System

Hi Path,

Thanks for the input. I will check those out. I was wondering just what type of damage you would get if you hit one or more deer while traveling down the road. As you said sometimes you may receive more much damage with them than without. One of the things that I am trying to figure out beforehand. Is it easier to fix the front of an RV than to buy and fix damage with the grill gaurd.

Curious where you picked up your owl dents?? I've had hawks and other good size birds swoop in front of me but so far no major impacts. Best and thanks!

CamperAL

Most grill guards/bush bars do more damage. It's because they are mostly cosmetic rather than structural. When they take a hit, they bend back and hit what they were meant to protect.  See here what I mean: http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff217/drbandkgb/IMG_0354.jpg

On 4x4, those who want protection replace the whimpy front bumper with a heavy steel one with built-in guard. Search online for bumpers made by ARB and Warn just to name a couple.

They really look sexy.....but.....I think they really add significant cost to a repair bill. 
http://www.aluminess.com/
http://sportsmobile.com/4_4x4bumpers.html

Of course if you can get things up high enough the deer will just go under with a 'thump' thump' and you will not get 'BANG' BANG'
http://www.maximog.com/trailer_mog.html

Hi Len and Jo and other who have replied,

First, thanks for the replies!! So having these installed really do more harm than good. It certainly would take some load weight away from what you could carry in the van. I am wondering what the satistics are for impacts by RV's with deer?? I'll try to do a search. Thought this idea might be a good one but afer the replies perhaps it is best to be as careful as you can, and let the insurance cover any damage if it should happen.

CamperAL

Marc L said:
  See here what I mean: http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff217/drbandkgb/IMG_0354.jpg

Yeh, I got one for my Frontier and a friend had this same thing happen to his.  Never put it on.

The ones where you replace the plastic bumper with a heavy steel bumper with built-in guard can withstand a hit.  It's those that bolt on the frame underneath the bumper and then wraps up in front of the bumper up to the grill that are problematic.  That's a long frame with a lot of leverage.

RV or car, figure out the odds of hitting a deer, I'd bet that the risk is not worth the expense.  We see deer daily around here and there is not that many hits.  I'd only consider solid armour if I was offroading.

Greetings,

Here are some statistics I found. In a years time there are 200 fatalities with collisions of animals. Seems like Oregon, Idaho, Nevada, Montana, Wyoming and Utah have a thousand motorists annually strike livestock. I've driven there and they have free ranges so you have to be careful. You have to pay for an animal you hit.

The US dept. of Transportation (see link below) lists 300,000 collisions each year with various types of animals (deer, moose, livestock, etc.). It would seem then, there would be a one in a thousand chance of having a collision with a larger animal in the U.S.A. each year. They suggest two lane roads that don't have as high of traffic on them in early morning hours or evening hours as the ones with a greater chance of collision.

http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/publications/research/safety/08034/exec.cfm#sec01

I realize that RV's tend to travel at slower speeds, are heavier duty, higher up so things are more visible along with checking in campsites before it gets dark, meaning safer to travel in.
A moose might get your attention better during a collision though. So while there is an element of danger, there are probably other items regarding safety that warrant more concern. I'd still like to see a quality grill guard made that might reduce damage and having to get a repair.

Sorry I went into lengthy details but was curious myself on problems that might happen and why someone might want a guard.

CamperAL

Your concern is valid.  Like anything else, you have to factor the risk, the benefits, the cost of doing something VS the cost of doing nothing.  Since we all have a different tolerance to risk and different budgets, we might make different decisions.

Regarding the calculation of the probability of hitting an animal, you also have to factor in the distance traveled.  Someone traveling 100000 miles a year has a much greater risk than someone traveling 1000 miles a year.

In Newfoundland, I have seen several transport trucks with moose guards on the front since it's a common occurrence to see a moose either on the side or middle of the road.

Here in New Brunswick (Canada, not New Jersey), they have put fences along the side of major highways to reduce the risk of collision with large animals.

A moose guard on a very large heavy duty truck is one thing.  Cars and vans are designed to crush in "high" energy accidents.  Even 5 mph the front bumber is designed to fail - crush - protect the rest of the vehicle.  A moose, deer, cow being hit by a van or car doing 50mph or so can do lots of damage.  A heavy duty bumper might stay in "great shape" but still end up being pushed to the fire wall.  Kind of like building a brick outhouse on a sand foundation.  Even the frames on vans (creases, holes, bolt sheering, etc) and cars are designed to crush and absorb energy so that passengers are protected.  A heavy duty bumper might reduce damage hitting a ground hog or goose but might not be effective in reducing vehicle damage when hitting a free range creature.  Just more food for thought.

Back
Top Bottom