RoadMaster InvisiBrake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tomnnva

We are picking up a new coach next week and are thinking of having the Roadmaster InvisiBrake system installed.  I have not been able to find much information on this new system and was wondering if anyone can give a thumbs up or down - thanks.

Towing CRV with 2012 Tour

The InvisiBrake is a brand new product. We will designate you the Forum test-bed. I will be up to you to provide us with reports on the performance.

Carson

I'd be interested as I was going to get the air option on my CRV when I went to Texas this spring...it would only work on my DP tho ...the other is electric..

Keep us updated.  I was looking into the InvisiBrake as well, but decided to wait until next spring.  I'd love to hear your thoughts on it.

I'll be glad to report back on InvisiBrake , if we get one, but I would rather someone else report problems and issues.. :)

Check this for information

http://www.roadmaster-tow-bars.com/supplemental-braking-systems/invisibrake-progressive-towed-car-braking-system?gclid=CPvaxtzo0awCFSOMtgodPFhHqQ

R1Kirby said:
Check this for information

http://www.roadmaster-tow-bars.com/supplemental-braking-systems/invisibrake-progressive-towed-car-braking-system?gclid=CPvaxtzo0awCFSOMtgodPFhHqQ

I did check this site as you suggested...I'm thinking I may just look more closely..Thanks a bunch for the info.

Your Winnebago Tour will have engine/exhaust brake.  When the engine brake is activated, the brake light is activated and therefore the Invisbrake will also be activated.  I saw a report that a braking system that was activated by the brake light signal wore out a set of brakes on the towed in a 1000 miles while towing in the mountains.  May not happen to you, but something to think about.

Bago said:
Your Winnebago Tour will have engine/exhaust brake.  When the engine brake is activated, the brake light is activated and therefore the Invisbrake will also be activated.  I saw a report that a braking system that was activated by the brake light signal wore out a set of brakes on the towed in a 1000 miles while towing in the mountains.  May not happen to you, but something to think about.

gone in 1000 miles and no smoke? 

Bago said:
This is a easy fix, just put in a diode for about $20.00. Then it will only apply the brakes with the foot value.  Look on the forum for "Installation of a brake controller" you will find more information on it.

http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php?topic=30389.msg366522#msg366522  I hope this link will work for you. Here is one of my post there, I put a brake controller on a 2006 Mountain Aire  a few years back. You will have to tie it in on the outside of the coach in the front by the generator. You will see the air valve wiring that you will hook into on the drivers side. I also recommend putting in a one way diode. If you us the exhaust brake it will also apply the trailer brakes, this is not a good thing. I have seen many trailer brakes on fire because of this. The one way diode will only let the signal come from the foot brake and not the Jake. You can trust me on this, you WILL NEED THE DIODE. Almost all diesel coaches apply the brake lights when the jake brake is applied. Goodluck

Edit: Fixed link.

I was looking into the Invisibrake to install on another coach but they haven't made final decision yet. I think it's a good system. It does apply brakes off taillights but the system safety won't allow the toad brakes to apply any longer than 15 sec. If the brakes are on from a failure or whatever the alarm goes off in the cab of the MH after 20 sec. If they lost toad brakes in <1000 mi it sounds like they adjusted the preset braking pressure too high and that is what caused their premature brake wear.
Depending on your toad vehicle type the install could be a pain but once it's in it sure makes towing easy. This is the system I will use when we are ready to start pulling a toad.
The links above will take you to their home page and the owners/install manuals are towards the bottom.

I doesn't matter what type of braking system that you use, if you don't interrupt the brake light signal that the exhaust brake sends to the brake lights, your toad brake system will be applied. And as for braking pressure for the toad braking, it will still cause premature brake failure for the toad even with lite pressure.

Normally the exhaust/engine brake on signal ties into the tail light wiring somewhere downstream form the brake pedal switch.  If the toad brake signal is taken off the brake switch, an appropriately placed diode will prevent the exhaust brake signal from backfeeding to the toad brake unit. But if the toad brake signal is pulled from downstream of the exhaust brake tie-in, the diode can't help.

I doesn't matter what type of braking system that you use, if you don't interrupt the brake light signal that the exhaust brake sends to the brake lights, your toad brake system will be applied. And as for braking pressure for the toad braking, it will still cause premature brake failure for the toad even with lite pressure.
Hes, maybe you misunderstood my post above. The Invisibrake system automatically disengages the toad brakes after 15 sec. This is no matter what your brake lights are doing. If they stay on for 20 sec an alarm goes off. Have a look at the manuals and you can see what I'm referring too. Nothing wrong with using a diode but with this system you don't need it that I can see.

You might also take a look at the US-Gear Unified Brake Decelerator.. Works a lot like Invisi Brake but there is an additional cable to the RV, and there is an additional controller at the Motor Home Cockpit that gives you control both auto and manual of the brakes.

Bago said:

I have the 2004 Vectra 40AD like you. Does our exhaust brake activate the brake lights? I'm getting Invisibrake installed this week and I need to know if I will have the dealer alter the ECM to shut off that function. I can't check it myself because I don't have access to my coach right now.
Thanks.

lajuene said:
I have the 2004 Vectra 40AD like you. Does our exhaust brake activate the brake lights?
Thanks.
Yes, mine does.  I'm sure that yours will activate the brake lights too.

HMMM! I wonder if the Invisibrake will activate on exhaust brake because the light comes on. I read a couple posts that said they had a setup that had the toad lights on when foot on the brake but when exhaust brake on, only the coach had lights on.

Also, I read there is a diode you can place to turn off the "lights on" for the exhaust brake. Also again I read a post that said the ECM computer can be altered by the dealer to keep exhaust brake from activating the light.

Guess I'll just have to wait and see what it does and then look for solutions. I just don't want the toad brakes on during exhaust braking.

I've started readiing your past posts for tips on my coach since you have the same one. We got it in July and we will launch full time in April or May. Right now it's gatting upgrades and some repairs and other service done at our local dealer.

Good luck and thanks!
Eric

Yes, it is possible to wire in a diode such that the toad brake does not get activated by backfeed from the coach brake lights. The trigger for the toad brake should be wired direct to the coach brake light switch, with a diode downstream from the junction so that power does not feed back to the switch. Discuss this with whoever installs the Invisibrake for you and explain that you do not want the brake activated when the exhaust brakes lights off the coach brake light. If they don't know how to do that, they can call Roadmaster for tech support.

My invisibrake has started beeping inside the coach constantly.  I have gone back and adjusted the the pressure on the controller and have been unable to get it to stop.  This did happen one time before, and all I had to do was adjust the pressure on the controller and it fixed it.  This time that doesn't work.  Any suggestions?

Back
Top Bottom