New Smart Phone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Will 4G improve calls? No. This is a data speed boost, but the technology does allow data and phone calls at the same time.

3g vs 4g. Please keep in mind that this has NOTHING to do with the actual voice (cellular) part of the phone.
The 4G only enhances the internet / data aspect of the phone, NOT the voice / calling aspect.

Think video streaming, sending e-mails with pictures/large file attachments, etc. 

You are absolutely right. It's more about the part of the phone that is not a phone at all.  It's all about the enhancements that go along with it. We probably throw away thousands of perfectly good "phones" every day.  How's that for progress..........

Pusher said:
Will 4G improve calls? No. This is a data speed boost, but the technology does allow data and phone calls at the same time.
Think video streaming, sending e-mails with pictures/large file attachments, etc. 
AT&T Window phone does the above now under 3G without the added upcharge for 4G. :D

Verizon just released the long-awaited upgrade of the Android operating system for the Samsung Charge.  The Gingerbread version of the Op system starting being delivered via OTA on 11/29.  The only specific change I have noticed so far is that text editing is a lot easier now.  IMHO the Charge is an excellent 4G phone that had been underrated because of having the older op system.  Its AMOLED screen makes it very easy to see in bright light and its battery life is decent.

docj,

My Verizon Samsung Charge phone is running very well with the Gingerbread 2.3.6 OS update.  Mine was even a great phone when it had the older Froyo 2.2.1 software.  If you do not know this already here is a very handy and cute feature of the Charge phone

You can easily and quickly increase or decrease the brightness of your Charge phone's display screen WITHOUT going into any other menus.

To do this you will first have to turn the Auto Brightness OFF by going to: Settings>Display Settings>Brightness and Un-check automatic.

While you are on this screen also go down the page to the Power Saving Mode at the bottom of the page.  There you UN-check the Power saving mode.  This turns off that eye in the upper left corner of the display screen that does its own thing to change the brightness of the display.  This further saves battery power.  Un-checking the Power Saving Mode is an option so if you like it as it is you should keep it.

Now go back to the Home display screen.  Next, TOUCH and HOLD the gold colored check mark that is at the top of the display screen to the left of the word Verizon.  Hold your finger on the bottom point of the check mark until you see the brown colored notification bar appear under your finger BUT DO NOT pull the notification bar down and DO NOT LIFT your finger off the screen.  Just slide your finger left and right.  To darken the screen (go left) or to brighten the screen (go right).

Slide your finger back and forth to see for yourself...it is so easy.  It couldn't be faster or easier to make your screen brighter when you walk outside into the sunlight or make it darker to save battery power when you' are inside with enough light to easily read the screen.

JerryF

JerArdra said:
docj,

My Verizon Samsung Charge phone is running very well with the Gingerbread 2.3.6 OS update.  Mine was even a great phone when it had the older Froyo 2.2.1 software.  If you do not know this already here is a very handy and cute feature of the Charge phone

You can easily and quickly increase or decrease the brightness of your Charge phone's display screen WITHOUT going into any other menus.

To do this you will first have to turn the Auto Brightness OFF by going to: Settings>Display Settings>Brightness and Un-check automatic.

While you are on this screen also go down the page to the Power Saving Mode at the bottom of the page.  There you UN-check the Power saving mode.  This turns off that eye in the upper left corner of the display screen that does its own thing to change the brightness of the display.  This further saves battery power.  Un-checking the Power Saving Mode is an option so if you like it as it is you should keep it.

Now go back to the Home display screen.  Next, TOUCH and HOLD the gold colored check mark that is at the top of the display screen to the left of the word Verizon.  Hold your finger on the bottom point of the check mark until you see the brown colored notification bar appear under your finger BUT DO NOT pull the notification bar down and DO NOT LIFT your finger off the screen.  Just slide your finger left and right.  To darken the screen (go left) or to brighten the screen (go right).

Slide your finger back and forth to see for yourself...it is so easy.  It couldn't be faster or easier to make your screen brighter when you walk outside into the sunlight or make it darker to save battery power when you' are inside with enough light to easily read the screen.

JerryF

Jerry--

That's a slick trick; thanks.

BTW, have you experienced a "locked screen" since the upgrade?  I had a situation in which the screen wouldn't respond to any touch inputs.  I rebooted it and it stayed the same.  Then I think I touched the "sleep" button by accident; when it woke up again everything was fine.  I haven't been able to reproduce it.

Joel

docj,

I have not experienced a locked screen.  Where is the SLEEP button??

JerryF

JerArdra said:
docj,

I have not experienced a locked screen.  Where is the SLEEP button??

JerryF

Same as the power button.  Press and hold it until the phone goes through the power off function.  With smart phones a person should do this about once a week anyway.

What's going on at WalM?  They have an ad for T-Mobile; get a Samsung Smart Phone for $200, no contract to sign, $30/mo for 100 minutes + unlimited data/text or $50/mo for unlimited everything, pay as you go.  Sam's doesn't have it, Costco doesn't, just WM.  Saves like $100/mo which will pay for lunch, LOL.

I just got the iPhone 4s on Monday, my first smartphone.  I looked at the positives and negatives of Android vs iPhone and decided to go with iPhone because of Siri and I am glad I did.  I am still learning how to use the phone, but started using Siri (without reading the instructions).  I can easily send a text or an email using only voice commands.  No need to bother with the small onscreen keyboard.  It is not perfect, but it is very good.  I also like iCloud which helps keep items on my iPhone, iPad, and laptop in sync.  A downside of the iPhone is that it is 3G, but until the 4G network expands significantly, this will not have much impact on my use.

I have never been an "Apple" person; however, the iPhone and iPad are winning me over.

SargeW said:
My son was telling me that all of the iphones get their updates and apps via a itunes account.  It that true?
Since IOS5,  you can do the updates untethered, that is without connecting it to a computer.  http://www.apple.com/ios/features.html#pcfree

Edit to add: I notice you said iTunes account.  You still need to get your apps and updates from the Apple App Store using your Apple ID, you just no longer need to use iTunes to perform the updates.

taoshum said:
What's going on at WalM?  They have an ad for T-Mobile; get a Samsung Smart Phone for $200, no contract to sign, $30/mo for 100 minutes + unlimited data/text or $50/mo for unlimited everything, pay as you go.  Sam's doesn't have it, Costco doesn't, just WM.  Saves like $100/mo which will pay for lunch, LOL.

That's my plan, so far, when My current Verizon account is ended.. I like my DROID but not THAT much.

taoshum said:

That sounds like a great deal, if you like T-Mobile, and live in a city with a strong T-Mobile presence.  However, on the fringe areas they aren't so great.  I've traveled up/down/across this great nation, and it's hard to beat Verizon for data coverage.

Phil Hyde said:
That sounds like a great deal, if you like T-Mobile, and live in a city with a strong T-Mobile presence.  However, on the fringe areas they aren't so great.  I've traveled up/down/across this great nation, and it's hard to beat Verizon for data coverage.

That was kind of my thought as well.  For a full timer, sticking with Verizon may be a better idea.......

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chewys79
Back
Top Bottom