Need basic internet connection info for Apple Mac

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

YaddaYadda

Nothing in our RV yet.  We are Luddites.  Thinking of getting a Apple Notebook, Laptop or similar and a Apple 4g "smart phone" with an AT&T "air card" so we have a Mobile Hot Spot.  Might this work? 

Will we need a signal booster, something like a Wilson Trucker antenna to help out?  Do we need a router inside?

I will start to pester local Apple retailer and local AT&T store on Monday and also a local communications consultant and perhaps the local Geek Squad from Best Buy.....but I wanted to know if anyone out there has a similar set-up. 

We have Apple desk-tops at home and AT&T service for our 6 y/o basic, cheapo, entry level cell phones. 

Apple doesn't make a 4G phone. Many of us here connect to the Internet with a Verizon 4G air card. $50 per month with blazing fast speeds in major cities. Verizon has the best coverage of all the carriers meaning you are more likely to get a signal where ever you are.

Current Mac laptops (= notebooks) will work on the usual wifi sources. In fact, our iMacs connect very simply. Any "mifi" device can provide a wifi source for you. An air card should plug right into your USB port. Some smartphones will connect with a wire. Any Apple Store should have lots of qualified people to help you sort this out pretty easily.

We use a Verizon air card plugged into a Cradlepoint router, which provides the wifi source for our computers (and others, if we allow it). The air card can be plugged directly into the computer if desired.

Good luck!

Don't get an aircard, get a mifi.  That way, you can connect your iPad and MacBook Pro to the internet at the same time without adding another piece of hardware in the mix.  While you can add internet tethering to your iPhone plan, there are some trade-offs that make the extra $20 a month worth it in my opinion.  Go to the Apple store and buy your new wifi iPad and MacBook Pro then go to the Verizon store and get your 4G mifi and iPhone.  You'll be set!

Don't forget to search the forum and check the library, there are many posts here on using the internet. It really depends on what you need (basic service or hard core work users) and where you will be staying most. I use Rv parks a lot so right now I'm using an iPad with free WiFi everywhere we stay. I like free.
This also made me realize I can't live with an iPad so I'm getting a laptop. Then a small wireless printer, pepwave mini or WiFi Ranger etc. Try a few things to see what works for you as it is cheaper than long term contracts.
Once you do some research there are many people here on the forum that can answer all your tech questions. Good luck and welcome to the forum.

rjf7g said:
Don't get an aircard, get a mifi.  That way, you can connect your iPad and MacBook Pro to the internet at the same time without adding another piece of hardware in the mix.  While you can add internet tethering to your iPhone plan, there are some trade-offs that make the extra $20 a month worth it in my opinion.  Go to the Apple store and buy your new wifi iPad and MacBook Pro then go to the Verizon store and get your 4G mifi and iPhone.  You'll be set!

The MiFi devices are nice if all you require is a small WiFi footprint and don't need to network a lot of devices. If you want to create a large hotspot most people still prefer the traditional modem/router combo because it gives more device support, better WiFi range and you can use a centralized antenna.

If all they need is a few devices online in their RV, then I agree, the MiFi would be the most cost effective route to go. If they got the iPhone 4 or 4S they could enable the hotspot which wouldn't be quite as fast as Verizon 4G, but I typically hit around 5-6Mbps down with my iPhone.

And if you buy from 3G Store you can have Matt walk you thru all the changes that you made to screw things up ::) ::) . He is very patient with you.

Thank you for your replies.

I forgot to say that we are interested only in emails and web surfing.  No movies or other stuff normal folks like to download.

Thanks

We bought yesterday an Apple iPad2 with 64GB and built in WiFi and 3G. Comes with the AT&T Micro SIM card.  Apple guy is in sales/service and support.  Says unless we are in the mountains or a canyon, we will get a connection. 

Did we do OK?  ::) ::)

There are places not in the mountains or canyons that AT&T doesn't have service, but that's true of all cellular services.

Last year I noticed for the first time that Walmart had a air card you could purchase on a monthly basis. We usually use the Wifi service at the RV park when we get to Florida, but we are thinking about getting a month to month card this year. We have high speed internet at home here so I don't want another yearly contract! Whats your thoughts?

Scott  :)

I used Wifi for the first 5 years I was on the road. I have used an air card for the last four years. There is no comparision. Air cards win by a large margin. Wifi may be free but an air card generally works just about everywhere and that is worth a lot to me. You can even send and receive email while your significant other is driving you down the Interstate. Generally speaking an air card is way faster than Wifi and a lot more reliable.

Because I am a Luddite I was wondering what is an "air card"?  I found, apparently, it is a "dedicated cellular data modem" and a trademark of Sierra Wireless Co.  It goes into a USB port and has its own phone number. It gives you 24 hour internet connection.

So.......was this good info?

YaddaYadda said:
Because I am a Luddite I was wondering what is an "air card"?  I found, apparently, it is a "dedicated cellular data modem" and a trademark of Sierra Wireless Co.  It goes into a USB port and has its own phone number. It gives you 24 hour internet connection.

So.......was this good info?
Exactly correct. It is about the size of a cigarette lighter and plugs in the USN port. Verizon is the carrier most of us here on the forum use because it has the most coverage nationwide. It is $50 per month for 5 gigs of download, so if you don't watch movies online or download large files it works perfectly.

But for 30 dollars a month your smart phone  can become a wifi hotspot. Or you can go with one of the apps available.

donn said:
But for 30 dollars a month your smart phone  can become a wifi hotspot. Or you can go with one of the apps available.
I am not smart enough to have a smart phone. Don't want one. I bought a laptop with the largest screen available (18.4"). There is no way I want to surf the Internet on a 2 inch screen. I would need a magnifying glass for these old eyes.

Your choice of course.  All I was trying to tell you is that with an android based smart phone and a data plan at 30 dollars a month and one of the downloaded one time fee apps I can surf the web all I want by simply plugging in my smart phone to the computer and booting it up.  I guess if I wanted to have more than one devise at a time connected I would go one step farther ( read that more expensive) and use a mifi router or similar product.  But for us, on the road we need/want email capabilities and for me to be able to get frustrated on the forums from time to time.  So the 30 dollar a month deal is far better and cheaper by 20 dollars a month. ::)

Back
Top Bottom