direct satellite dish on my RV , illegal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RabbitCTSV

I have direct Dish at my house, I have it in 4 rooms, I called today to see about getting another dish so i can take it on the road with me and set it up when i park. Direct tv told me it is considered fraud and punishable with fines and imprisonment,i was told i need to set up another account, and everytime i park i have to do a change of address, 

I have been told that alot of people have a dish on their rv that is from their house, My question is :

1.what do i need to tell them to get around this?
2. can i buy a set up off craigs list  or ebay that is used and get it attached to my home account
3. will I have to get a second account with them for my RV dish?
4. what is everyone doing to get dish on their RV's ?

You can buy a dish off e_bay if you can't find a free one around town, then just take one of  your receivers from home and say nothing to Direct.  Been doing that for about 13 years.

Check your local TV repair shop or realty company for a free dish. They are left behind when people move out and no one wants them....Then all you need is somthing to mount it to.

tvman44 said:
You can buy a dish off e_bay if you can't find a free one around town, then just take one of  your receivers from home and say nothing to Direct.  Been doing that for about 13 years.

so i can have another one added to one of my room or take one out of one of the rooms and get a dish attach it, aim it and im good to go?
will it need to be a special dish to work with the box? or are they all the same, just the receivers are diff?

The DirecTV CSR you were talking to must have been having a very bad day.  Think about all the dishes sold just for RV use; for years we had a dish on the RV and one on the house all on one account.  DirecTV knew about it since they approved DNS service for the RV!

We have an extra dish that we carried with us in the motorhome. We take the receiver from the house to the motorhome and hook it up to the dish there. No problem. We have Dish Network but I expect that Direct would work the same way. Only problem is losing the local stations that are spot beamed if we go too far from home.

Wendy
Anza Borrego Desert SP

CSR told me that i would need a new account for my RV i even told her " i would be staying in at my house, " she still told me that i need a new account, i hung up on her, to post this, well im going to find a satellite from direct tv

Not sure about Direct TV but Dish will not let you receive signals from two locations at the same time.  If you have two or more receivers this is possible.  What I have been told is they will call you and ask that you verify what is seen on a special channel on each receiver.  This can can not be done if you are in Arizona with one receiver and the other is back home in Monatana being used by your children or other relatives.  I only have one receiver and move around a lot.  Dish will let me change locations for local channels once a month with no problem.  If you have more than one receiver Dish will deactivate receivers you will not be taking with you for the period you are gone.

You can sleep peacefully tonight - there is no fraud!  You pay DirecTV for each receiver, not for each dish, so there is nothing illegal about taking a receiver with you from your home. Nor is there any legal problem with bringing your own dish to hook the receiver to. You can buy dishes freely on the internet, from stores, or from DTV dealers. Or from a neighbor who doesn't need it anymore.

There is really no way to cheat DirecTV of their services. If you do not have a receiver with a legally activated "card" inserted, and you bill is not current (within 30 days), there is no way to receive satellite tv unless DTV itself screwed up and gave you the service.

You only need a separate account if you ask for mobile service, meaning you want the nationwide network feeds rather than local programming for the area you are in.  You cannot have network feeds in the RV and use a receiver from your home - the FCC does not allow that except for a few rare exceptions. But your RV qualifies for DNA (network feeds) if it has its own account.

We have Dish Network.  We have a dish mounted to the top of the motorhome and it is automatic.  We are signed up through our daughters account and pay 14 per month for each of the 2 receivers we have in the motorhome.  Our programming is on top of that.  She isn't interested in the local programming so we just call themeach time we move and they turn on local for us in the motorhome.  They are very nice people to deal with.

Gary RV Roamer said:
You only need a separate account if you ask for mobile service, meaning you want the nationwide network feeds rather than local programming for the area you are in.  You cannot have network feeds in the RV and use a receiver from your home - the FCC does not allow that except for a few rare exceptions. But your RV qualifies for DNA (network feeds) if it has its own account.

When we had our stick & brick house we had three DirecTV receivers in the house and one in the RV.  At first the receiver in the RV was treated like an additional house receiver and cost us another $5-6 dollars/month.  DirecTV knew that the receiver was in an RV and even turned it off for 6 months each year during the winter. 

When I asked for DNS (Distant Network Services) on that receiver I was told that it could no longer be treated as a house add-on.  It had to have its own subscription for whatever channel package I wanted to have on it.  That is what is meant by a "separate account."  We still got one bill and it had a single account number. The receiver in the RV had a specific channel package, which was different from what we had in the house and we had to pay for it and the DNS services on that receiver.

If your RVing is within roughly 200 mi of your home city you will be in the spot beam for your local channels.  I have found that DirecTV uses a fairly generously-sized spot beam.  If you stay in the beam there is no real reason to get DNS.  We are full-timers and DNS is essential for us.  Furthermore, we have a DVR and with DNS our shows can be programmed and will always have the same channel assignments.

We have direct TV at two house, our boat in Florida, and our RV in Colorado. That is the purpose of having satelite.

We even called them to have a roof top dish put on our house in Florida. Told them we will fly with our box back and forth. They were glad to come out and put the dish on. Just cost us $50.00 for the service call.

We have TrackVision on our boat and pay $5.99 per month for the extra box as it is different than the others.

We have a Wineguard on the RV. On our trips we hook up one of the house boxes. it automatically selects the correct dish and we are up in running.

Again, they helped us get this all set up. As long as we are paying for each box, they have never cared. I have called for technical support on numerous occasions for the Boat, RV, and our house in Florida. BTW, our main service is our house in Colorado.

Ken

I have three DirecTV receivers that are registered with the motorhome. One LR, one BR and one in the basement. I also get the New York distance package. They use your house address and phone number for payment and reference. They indicated that they would change the locals whenever I needed to change. I changed them once and got everything messed up. I did some stuff wrong when getting the service changed back. It took me about six hours on the phone to get it straight.

I take two of the receivers into the house when we are at the home base. I keep one in the MH all of the time. It is best to get a good plan for your approach to the service and don't give them any more information that you have to. When I changed over to HD they brought out an antenna and installed it on the house, without even saying anything about the MH. Tell them what you want and no more. I also had a technician come to the house when I had the lightning disaster. I have had the service for twelve years. The service has been excellent.

I would start with the receivers being in the RV so you can get the distance channels. It requires a copy of the RV registration as well as an application. Once you have the billing established, move them where ever you want. Don't call with a lot of questions. They seem to do most everything you want as long as you don't talk too much. If you have problems while in the RV don't mention the house and vice versa.

We just switched our locals from Denver to San Diego. All we had to do was give them an address. Eazy-Peezy

We have Dish, with 2 boxes at the S&B, one in the MH and one in the boat. All are listed on the same account and have exactly the same channels. With the boat we get the spot beam for Western WA which works up to and north of the Broughton Islands, so we never change "service locations" with it. In the MH we change "service locations" sometimes every day. They generally ask if I need a dish moved and I tell them I'm in my motorhome so no I don't. I've never had them complain about the different addresses or ask where the boxes were.

When I bought the box for the MH they insisted that an installer come out to put it in. So, he came to the house and then followed my over to the MH and allowed me to hook up the cables, since I knew where each went, then he called and registered the box and started the service.

If they did have a problem then I would certainly allow them to disable the three boxes we don't use for the 7 months we're MHing. and the 3 boxes we don't use when we're boating for 3 months. I hate moving boxes from one place to another. I enjoy listening to the tv when I'm at the MH or boat tinkering between trips. It's probably not the most efficient, cheapest way to have tv, but it works for me.

To change service locations I tell them I need to change service address not billing address. Give them the new address of whatever rv park, state park or parking lot I'm in, with zip code, and 15 minutes later I'm watching whatever the locals are watching. When we move and those locals drop out, you'll get the "channel temporarily lost, don't call us, we already know" screen, then I call again and give them another address.

Ken

Actually, did have a bit of a strange encounter with Directv recently...  We have always just grabbed one of the house receivers (after getting the go ahead from Directv on the phone), plugged it into either a tripod or crankup in the RV.  After recently installing a used Roadtrip dome on the 5th wheel, we decided to just pay the extra $6 / month and order another receiver, dedicated to the RV.  Now comes the 'strange'....  When we started the discussions with Directv on the phone, the associate started getting kind of 'cagey' and insisted on sending out a technician, I stated this was not/not needed and explained instead of taking one of the boxes from the house, we simply wanted a dedicated box for the RV.  Long story short, they agreed to send another box but there was mumbling about just keeping one of the 'old' boxes, and they would send a 'replacement', I attempted to clarify the situation, however they just continued and said this is fine, it will work.  I needed to pay for the new box, shipping, increase of the $6/month and a service fee.  At this point I was redirected to their "verification" department.... obviously overseas, extremely hard to communicate to an associate that was using english as a second language.... however finally settled, although this question / answer period made me feel quite uncomfortable for some reason, much listening to rules regulations and though legalistic "understanding" on my part..... Well, box arrived, I installed in the RV and went through activation via phone call with automated assistance (it was Thanksgiving).  Actually got the box installed, however when I went into the house to tell the wife everything was fine..... one of the home boxes was deactivated!  Urrrghhhh!  After a call, they reactivated the day later, however I did notice online that they have the new box listed in the "Play" room of the house.  Not sure what's going on really, maybe they are changing the old rules with regard to RV's or something.  All came out alright in the end, however something has definitely changed with DTV, I've never felt like this after any other encounter with them.

I have Dishnetwork and I bought a seperate reciever from Ebay and called dish to activate it.They activated it and I put that reciever in the MH.I have inmotion satelite dish on my MH.I pay extra 5 dollar every month for the extra reciever.I could have my home reciever bring in to the MH and used it when I am on road and I did it few times.I have to get the cables on and off as I have a DVR receiver in home and also my wife want to record programmes when we are on road so I decided to have an extra reciever for MH which remain in th MH all the time.I have only one account in my name.

For you newbies to satellite TV in RVing, the FCC and the courts dictate the rules by which both DirecTV and Dish must abide.  'Way back in the early days we were at a campground in Estes Park CO at the first RV Forum Centremost rally.  We watched our DirecTV in the morning, went out and did things during the day, and when it was time to turn on the evening news - nothing!  They said we had to have an "RV Exemption" before they could return our service.  We spent the next day running around getting the correct papers notarized so we could have our satellite television.  Sometime later we heard that Dish was in trouble and in the courts because they hadn't played by the rules.  The requirement to set up a separate account for your RV goes back to those early FCC regulations and court rulings.  It's hard to understand for people who haven't lived through the progression, especially because satellites are so readily available today, but this is the reason DirecTV seems to give people such a hard time.

ArdraF

Back
Top Bottom