1999 Southwind transmission rebuild

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

avbiro

Hi,
I have a 1999 Southwind with a V10. It appears my Transmission is slipping bad. I plan on brining it in for an estimate. I guess I can hope it is something minor but I guess I like to assume the worst. With that in mind what can I expect to pay to get this Transmission rebuilt? I like to do my research and get multiple quotes but it will be hard if I can not drive the RV around. My next question is what Transmission do I have with this V10 chassis? If it does get rebuilt, should I go with a remanufacture model or should I have my unit rebuilt? Are there any special modifications I should  look into getting done while it is apart? Thank you in advance for  your time.

A 99 V10 should be mated with the Ford 4R100 tranny. Any decent transmission shop can rebuild it if needed. Often the shop will install a previously rebuilt one and take yours in exchange, rebuilding it later. Just call around and get some prices on a rebuilt and ask if they actually fix transmissions at the shop or just install trannies rebuilt somewhere else.

Just a little food for thought. There are good and bad independent transmission shops. There are good and bad chain store transmission shops. There are Ford truck centers that offer rebuilt transmissions. There is a slight chance you will get a bad rebuilt transmission. Ford offers the best warranty and no hassle warrant clam.  Had a friend with a bad transmission in Texas. Had a Ford truck shop fix it. Two years later the transmission give problems. The Ford Truck center in Olathe Kansas fixed it, no charge. I personally use a small independent transmission shop in my neighborhood. So you have choices.

Richard

I recently had my '99 Ford tx repaired (not rebuilt) by a local shop that came well recommended.  They had to replace the torque convertor and in the process replace tx fluid & filter (used synthetic).  The total bill came to about $900.  If they had had to do a complete rebuilt, they quoted about $2200.

One advantage with dealing with a nationwide chain of tranny shops or a Ford dealer is that you can get it fixed or replaced elsewhere if you have a problem. RVs seldom fail close to home!

Some independent shops deal in rebuilt trannies that have a nationwide guarantee too.

Thank you for the reply's.  Are there any special upgrades I should do to the Transmission if it gets rebuilt? If it gets torn out I prefer to replace the parts with the best I can afford. By the way I live in Simi Valley California. If anyone has any recommendations of shops in my area they would be appreciated.

It might be a good time to change over to synthetic tranny fluid. It runs cooler and resists high temps better than non-synth fluids. Pricey, but worth it if you plan to keep the rig long term.

Back
Top Bottom