Best resources for learning about full-timing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RunsWithScissors

There seem to be a lot of resources out there for learning about full-timing. I'd like to ask, especially those of you with lots of experience in this area, what resource(s) would you recommend to someone thinking about getting into the lifestyle. Also, is there anything you DIDN'T know before you got into full-timing and wish you had?

To get started, you could go to the RVing Message Boards (see above) and go down the list until you come to the "Fulltiming" board.  We have a lot of fulltimers and they've been at it for a long time, so you should learn a lot there.  I'd also recommend joining the Escapees of Livingston TX because they were founded by fulltimers for fulltimers and have services you will need like mail forwarding and an address for legal things like insurance and voting.  You also can find books on the subject at www.rvbookstore.com.

Enjoy the learning process!

ArdraF

First, let me say that we are not YET full-timing (planned to leave Sept 2013, moved up to June 2012)..but we just started picking up various RV books CHEAP online from various sources (or download to Kindle).  Many of the books repeat information, re-word same information but many times provide new information.  We put together a notebook with questions, ideas, thoughts, suggestions, budgets, info from our search for truck and rig etc etc.  Also, we started talking to folks currently doing it (friends of ours) and some part timers who do it in the winter only (we currently live in NY).  We are quickly realizing that everyone has an opinion and what is good for one is not necessarily good for another. Hence the reason for putting together a notebook.  This way both my husband and I can jot things down and then discuss them later as we get closer (now much closer) to our take off date.  We have spoken to many RV dealers and have plans to go to a few shows this winter and hopefully continue to talk it up with folks actually on the road.  The books have been a blessing my husband in particular and when he comes across suggestions for other books either in reference or online, we find it and read it as well.  My theory, one can never do enough research and again, everyone has opinions to likes and dislikes, pros and cons.  We have discovered that this is a very personal decision from the planning stage to the execution stage. 

Welcome to the forum RunsWithScissors.

Glad you asked. We have an excellent article I wrote in the forum library that covers a lot of what you need to know before you hit the road. Here is the link:

http://www.rvforum.net/joomla/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=435:fulltimeprep&catid=29:fulltiming&Itemid=45

If you have specific questions please feel free to ask away, that is what we are here for.

Start here with our library section on fulltiming.  There are multiple articles on the various aspects of the fulltime lifestyle.

I can't help with your question, but thought I'd say I love your forum name -"RunsWithScissors".  Are you any kin to "BeansInMyEars"?

Howard & Linda Payne have an informative website and hold full-timers rally's to help educate on the full-timers life style. We attended one of their rally's last year and really learned allot in addition to having a great time and meeting some wonderful people. Good luck with your indeavor.

I agree with what has been said, but I caution you against getting too caught up with what others have written about full-timing.  We find that more than a few full-timers have very fixed (rigid?) ideas about the "right way" to do things.  We were experienced enough RVers to be able to take this sort of advice with a grain of salt, but it would be easy to form opinions based only on what you read.  In truth, I don't think there is any correct "pattern" for full-timing.  You should do what feels natural to you and not be afraid to create your own definition of what full-timing means.

"Hence the reason for putting together a notebook"
I have over time put together things that I need in certain areas.  Such as boondocking spots.  Those spots are found just by reading different blogs/sites.  Putting them into states or counties is time consuming but well worth it when traveling. Some people hold "their" boondocking spot like a favorite a fishing hole. Some RVers don't want anythiing to do with boondocking while others seek them out.  All depends what you like to do.

Some good ideas above.

Escapees RV Club has a very good Boot Camp program for new RVers, and you don't need an RV to attend. We attended after almost two years on the road, and learned quite a few things (including some we had read it the books but forgotten!).

Books can be good, but can be somewhat limited in conveying the lifestyle issues. One alternative is to visit RV parks, check in with the office, then visit around with some of the RVers. You'll likely find quite a few willing to chat about their lifestyle.

If you haven't been on the road, consider renting an RV a few times to see whether you really want to do it. Do remember that any RV is quite cramped quarters compared to most houses. Be sure your traveling partner(s) are amenable. It can be "life in a hallway" sometimes.

As far as what we didn't fully realize before starting: For one thing, there really are quite a few issues with repairs and maintenance ($$$). For another, we kind of knew but hadn't experienced, that there really is a magic to driving through beautiful scenic places with that big picture window up front in the motorhome, then stopping to live awhile right in the middle of that scenery.

As a full timer with only fifteen months limited experience, and zero RV experience prior to that time, I would have to say "full timer" is an extremely broad term, and defined quite differently, depending on who you ask. As stated above, there is no "right" way.

The one thing we see that is "common" is actually living full time in an RV. How that looks is a different story.

You have full timers who work full time, work camp, or are retired. You have full timers in Class A's, B's, C's, 5'ers, etc. You have full timers who have a permanent lot, some who rarely use a commercial campground, and others move monthly, weekly, etc. from national or state parks, to commercial parks, to condo style RV parks, etc.

Most all would probably agree that the ability to be when and where you want is a very key ingredient. They would probably also tell you that being time urgent is not a very suitable personality trait, nor is the inability to flex your ideas of where, when, or how you do things. Your ability to adapt to new information is very critical.

I would also venture to say that full timing can be different dependent on which part of the country you are from and which parts you want to full time in.

All of this to say that the more people you can include in your sample for your interviews, the better picture you will have of how full timing will work or not work for you.  Experience is a great teacher, but only if you are willing to learn.

And, by the way, we absolutely love it!

I looked through the articles in the library but I didn't see something I think is very important - CCC (Cargo Carrying Capacity).
Many full timers find they need at least 1500 pounds per person. We have 1400 per person and would like to have 1800 pounds or so. I know a total of 3600 pounds of stuff sounds like a lot but it is amazing how it adds up.

Motor home owners can see the definition of CCC HERE, and OCCC HERE.
Scroll down to "2009 New weight label" and download the pdf file.

It is common to see CCC numbers as low as a few hundred pounds (even on diesel pushers) which means it would be overloaded for weekend trips and unusable for full timing.

[quote author=Clay L]I looked through the articles in the library but I didn't see something I think is very important - CCC (Cargo Carrying Capacity).[/quote]

Here's the explanation of CCC accessible by clicking the Glossary button above.

Tom, I wasn't clear about what I meant. What I was getting at is that I think many people don't realize how much stuff they will need/accumulate and how much it weighs.

We have full timing  friends that bought a Rexhall Airbus  DP and then found out it only had 1200 pounds of CCC.

I know you are trying to work out all the specifics and figuring out the details; but one thing I would suggest is not to sell or get rid of everything before you start off fulltiming.  I personally know of two couples who sold everything to start out on this wonderful exciting "free-wheeling" life style and found that one of partners did not like it after 6 months or so.  Fulltiming is not for everyone.  My advice would be to put everything in storage; rent out the house and give it a try before you take the plunge.

Marsha~

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom