Question for Fulltimers: WHY do you live this lifestyle?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

unsinkable777

Being a "fulltimer" sounds fantastic to me, but I haven't tried it yet.
I would really appreciate hearing from some "veterans" as to why you choose to live this way (adventure, financially necessary, weather???), and what makes someone suited to it. I love adventure, travel, and I get bored easily. I moved around a lot as a kid and just love being "on the road". What are some of the advantages and some of the challenges involved with the fulltime lifestyle?
Thanks so much for sharing.
Be Blessed,
Karen

I suppose I chose a mobile lifestyle because of some gypsy gene that drives me to see what's around the next bend, over the next hill, or across the next river.  The fact I can travel like a turtle with my home virtually on my back makes it so much better.  It's a rare kind of freedom.  I've heard of people who, during their lifetime, never move more that fifty miles from their birthplace.  I cannot understand this, such a life would be like prison to me.   

Advantages?  Satisfaction for the soul by enjoying the world around you.  There is so much natural beauty and wonder just waiting on you to come calling.  I enjoy visiting places steeped in history that brings me closer to events that I learned of as a child in school.  I love boondocking somewhere with no neighbors, just the sounds of the night as my soundtrack.  The magic of the road itself is a huge draw; I love getting up in the morning and getting underway.  I just love the movement from one place to another and what the moving brings.

Challenges?  Keeping up with the price of gas, tires, and breakdowns which limit my actual time on the road.  Dealing with family members who think that I am little more than a homeless vagabond and who don't have a clue as to why I do this and how can I live in a space 8' wide by 36' long. 

The advantages far outweigh the challenges, it's a no-brainer.

There is a middle ground - sometimes known as long-timing or half timing. Spend several months a year in your RV, but keep a fixed home somewhere as well. This is practical even on a limited budget if you choose a modest home in a lower cost area. In our case, our stick home is in north central Florida, so we travel north for the summers.
The main advantage of extended RV travel is freedom and a certain amount of adventure. We have seen and done many wonderful things in the US and Canada, and met many of our best friends through RVing, and hope to continue to do so. But we also enjoy our home with its extra space, my workshop, etc. There are also some advantages to having a fixed address - legal and business systems are geared towards people having a fixed address somewhere and life is a bit easier if you conform to the norm.

Why do I love the full time lifestyle??? Well I have been a full timer for 9 years. I have spent at least a week in all 46 of the National Parks in the lower 48 states. I have been to all 48 of the lower 48 states. I have been to a half a dozen National Seashores. I have spent about a year of my 9 years living in the Grand Canyon, one of the seven wonders of the world. The view out my front window this morning was that of the most amazing vivid red sunrise across the lake. When I camp at the Padre Island National Seashore I camp right next to the ocean. And I mean right next to it. When the tide is in I get my feet wet getting out of my motorhome. Two days ago a Great White Egret walked right next to my motorhome and the cats went nuts. A Great Blue Heron walked in front of the motorhome, but the cats didn't see him.

I have had moose, bison, deer, elk, squirrels, rabbits and did I mention squirrels in my campsite. While I setting up camp in Big Bend National Park I noticed a woodpecker, a road runner, a raven and chicadee in my campsite. At Bryce Canyon I camped on the rim. It was a 30 foot walk and I was in the canyon (not really a canyon, it is an amphitheater).

I have hiked to the top of Mount Lassen, 10,456 feet and I have been to Badwater in Death Valley at minus 280. I have driven out to the Race Track in Death Valley (Google it if you don't know what that means) (thanks Lou). I have been to Angels Landing an to Wall Street in the Narrows at Zion. I have been chased by a buffalo in Yellowstone and at Teddy Roosevelt NP. I have camped right next to the Skagit River in North Cascades NP and watched an Eagle catch a fish from my campsite. I have ridden around Puget Sound and seen whales basking. I have watched dolphins bow riding the boat on the way back from the Channel Islands NP.

I did some snorkeling at Dry Tortuga NP. I went kayaking in the Everglades. I was on a boat tour at 10000 Islands in the Everglades that cruised within 20 feet of an Osprey nest that was at eye level on the second deck. I have photographed about 250 different species of birds (they are all on my web site). I have seen dozens of bears, hundreds of elk, moose, deer, pronghorn and sheep. Zillions of birds.

I have watched a baby Western Grebe riding on his mamas back. I have seen a Tern feeding her young a fish. I have seen many Osprey fishing and carrying a fish. I have watched Pelicans group feeding. I have been to the top of the Empire State Building, to Ground Zero, to the Flight 93 crash site memorial and to the Pentagon. I have seen JFKs eternal flame at Arlington National Cemetery. I have traveled the entire length of the Blue Ridge Parkway. I have videoed an alligator (Speedbump) being harassed by Turkey Vultures. I have looked into a Zone Tailed Hawks nest and photographed it.

I have been awoken to the sound of Elk bugling as he walked right next to my van in Rocky Mountain National Park. I have had to step out of the way as a female Big Horn Sheep led her babies right past me on the Bright Angel Trail in the Grand Canyon. I had to resist the urge to pet them since they almost brushed up against me. I have driven around Lake Tahoe. I have watched sea otters play in Morro Bay. I watched a river otter catch a fish and then he had to do a bit of some evasive tactics so the other otters wouldn't steal it. Then he swam over and ate it on the shore less than ten feet from where I was standing. I have seen a grizzly bear stand on it's hind legs less than 50 yards away on the other side of the river while protecting her two babies. I have watched Osprey dive repeatedly for fish. I have been dive bombed by hummingbirds protecting their nest.

In July 2004 I toured Mount Vernon and Graceland. That means in the same month I was in the house of the first President of the United States and the first King of the United States. I toured Sun Studios 50 years and two weeks after Elvis recorded his first song, That's All Right Mama. So I rented the studio and recorded my own version of That's All Right Mama. It was put on a CD with the Sun label and hangs on my wall. I went to a G3 concert in Phoenix and got to meet, get autographs of and get photographed with Steve Via and Yngwie Malmsteen (two of my guitar heroes).

I have been awoken to the sound of ravens mucking about on the roof of my RV. I have witnessed many sunrises and sunsets that are too beautiful to describe. I have seen a herd of elephant seals basking on the beach at Big Sur right below the observation platform. I have seen a few thousand Snow Geese take to the air all at once at Bosque del Apache. I once had the road blocked by thousands of Snow Geese at Bosque del Apache. I visited my hometown for the first time in 45 years and photographed myself in front of the first two houses I ever lived in. I have visited many of my relatives. I saw a bear climb a tree in Voyageurs National Park. I have watched Old Faithful erupt at least 100 times, probably many more. I never get tired of that. I have stood next to an Atlas Rocket at Stennis Space Center and toured Kennedy Space Center. I have seen a few different space shuttles, Lindbergh's plane the Spirit of St Louis, Telestar, the Apollo 11 capsule, the Bell X1 (first to break the speed of sound), the plane that dropped the bomb on Hiroshima.

I stood in front of the White House. I have been to the top of the Empire State Building. I have walked past Paul Revere's house in Boston. I photographed myself with the other four presidents at Mount Rushmore. I have had wild burros stick their head into my van looking for a hand out (they didn't get one). I have toured Lehman Caves, Mammoth Caves, Carlsbad Caverns, Wind Cave and a half a dozen other cave tours. I have seen the Carlsbad Caverns bat flight. I photographed a bat flight on the Congress Bridge in Austin with the bats flying less than 5 feet from my feet. I have toured the Grotto and the Winnebago factory in Iowa. I have stood on the same stage that Buddy Holly stood on in Clear Lake the night before he died. I have visited his grave site.

I watched a hawk circling directly over head checking me out at Saguaro NP. I have been to a half a dozen minor league baseball games and watched one at both Dodger Stadium and Coors Field. Got to meet Russel Martin, the Dodgers all star catcher. I have seen the aliens at Roswell NM (just kidding, but the town is lovely and the local Walmart actually has an alien section). I have stood less than 10 feet from a Mountain Goat at Logan Pass in Glacier NP. I have gotten to overnight at dozens of Walmarts. I have walked the Gettysburg battlefield and cried. I have been to all four corners of the country. I toured the Bureau of Engraving and seen a pallet stacked 5 feet high with bundles of $100 bills. I have been to all of the Smithsonian museums. I have been at the top of the Empire State Building. I have been to the top of the Washington Monument. I don't know what the designers of that thing were thinking, it doesn't look a thing like him. It should be called the Clinton Monument. I have walked from one end to the other in Central Park. I toured Grant's Tomb to make sure Grant was buried there.

I have toured two different air craft carriers, The Yorktown in Charleston SC and the Lexington in Corpus Christi TX and too many smaller Navy ships to count. I have driven over the Golden Gate Bridge, the Chesapeake Bay Bridge, The Mackinaw Bridge in Michigan, and the bridges going through the Florida Keys. I have photographed over 70 different California Condors in the Grand Canyon. They are endangered and there are less that 400 in the world today. I have a photograph with 13 Condors in it and I have seen 25 at one time flying overhead. In 1982 there were only 22 in the entire world. I have had a llama so close to my face I thought he was going to kiss me at Olympic NP (pack animal). I have photographed Half Dome at Yosemite dozens of times. I have fed seagulls from the back of the Ocracoke NC ferry. I saw about a zillion sleeping lady bugs on a bush at Mesa Verde NP. I videoed two elks doing battle less than 30 feet from my van.

I have been photographed in front of the real Statue of Liberty in New York Harbor and a fake one in Las Vegas. I have toured Ellis Island. I have had a Crested Caracara perched on my arm at the Grand Canyon. I have watched surfers in California. I have been to the top of the Watchtower at the Grand Canyon dozens of times. I have watched a bobcat walk right below me at the Grand Canyon. I have photographed a Big Horn Sheep right in front of a petroglyph of a Big Horn Sheep at the Grand Canyon. I have seen an adult Bald Eagle steal a fish from a juvenile Bald Eagle over Puget Sound. I saw a coyote carrying a dead unita squirrel at Grand Teton NP. I saw a Joe Bonamassa concert from the front row in Vegas (another awesome guitarist).

I have seen a grizzly and a raven arguing over a dead elk at Grand Teton NP. I saw a wolf dragging a dead deer a half hour earlier two miles away. I saw a Green Wing Macaw on the rim of the Grand Canyon (tame). I have seen Native Americans dancing many times in the southwest. I have seen endless displays of Native American artwork that always takes my breath away. I have visited zoos all over the country. I photographed a Solstice Lunar Eclipse in Florida. I met Jack Hanna at the Grand Canyon. I have done a float trip down the Colorado River.

And I have done most all of this with camera in hand. Most everyone of these stories has photos of it online:

https://picasaweb.google.com/seilerbird

Attachments

• 46 np.jpg
    46 np.jpg
    189.7 KB · Views: 59
Enough said!  What a vivid description of the possibilities and opportunities.  And as usual, a great read from Tom. 

Wow, Tom, that's a really neat description!  Even we long-timers can relate.  You did hit the nail on the head as to why we're RVers.

Karen, I would add that both people in a couple need to have the same desire.  It won't work unless both partners want to do it.  Some people need a home base to return to every few months and that explains why some of us are long-timers and not full-timers.

ArdraF

Oh wow!! now if I can just get this rv down the driveway...I'm well on my way! Debra~

Wonderful posts!  We've been fulltiming since 1993 and we're not planning on stopping anytime soon. Having a traveling home brings a feeling of complete freedom. We roam in search of prefect weather , wonderful scenery,new experiences , chances to learn and just because of wanderlust. Photographs ,movies and descriptions in books will never match actually being someplace - the 360 degree views , sounds ,smells  and weather - good and bad !

We've always been minimally materialistic ,choosing to spend money on trips rather than accumulating things. I think this is important if you want to successfully fulltime for long periods.

Many people feel a little lost when they first start fulltiming. We went from working 40 hours a week plus managing our rental properties to total retirement. It took us awhile to get used to all of the free time.:)

We have been full timing for 14 years. Started out with two summers in our driveway before we sold the house. ;D The idea came from this forum before it was on the Internet. We had read so many wonderful posts of members who were traveling this great country and describing what they saw and what they were doing. The bug struck and we headed west. We had many wonderful years of meeting forum framily and enjoying their company.

When the economy took a downturn we had to curtail our travels. We spent several years of working in the summer in CT where we used to live and living at our "home" in Florida. The home is a lot with screen room and shed. We really love it there but still had the desire to see more of this great country. Now we have a summer job in Yellowstone, thanks to another forum member, which we really enjoy. It provides us the opportunity to travel again and visit all of our framily that live out west.

Because of that job we have neighbors such as Bison, Wolves, Coyotes and a myriad of other creatures that visit us in our campground as well as being present throughout the park. When the work season is over we get to visit with framily that we haven't seen in quite some time. The visions we have seen throughout our travels have made us gaze in awe. One cannot describe the feelings they get while visiting the many wonderful areas called the United States of America. Someday we hope to see some of our great neighboring country, Canada. I know there are the same adventures awaiting our arrival!

This lifestyle is not for everyone. You must be willing to give up the security of owning a home and look forward to the adventure of being on the road exploring new avenues. There is so much to see and do that it is sometimes difficult to choose a certain path. Often that path will change due to some outside influence that guides you down another. Wherever we go it is usually a great adventure.

We are so lucky to have been able to live this lifestyle and would not trade it for anything!!

I am like you Karen, we travel because we love the adventure, and I too get bored easily.  I am not one to sit in a place for even a month at a time. I am good for about 3 - 7 days at a time, then I am firing up the diesel and heading down the road. Probably one of the most important things we have learned full timing is that RVing is about the journey, not the destination.  As we wander back and forth across the country we have seen some amazing places that we didn't know existed until we drove into town. 

I highly recommend it. I don't need to fly to Europe to see some wonderful places. There is an endless supply of beauty and amazement right here at home. 

We have a slightly different twist and have been full timing for 15 months.

I have had airplanes for over 30 years, and the planes allowed me to get somewhere but then I had to find ground transportation, a place to stay, and the trips did not allow me to stay indefinitely as a working person. Flying was a passion but everything I saw was from a distance. It became about the destination not the journey.

We love to travel, but I still work. It occurred to us that I could still work, travel, and stay indefinitely using the motorhome as our living/working/travel space.

So now, while I do work each day, I get to do it from an office anywhere I choose, and each day is a vacation with work thrown in. When my work is done, I am immediately back on vacation, at my vacation destination! What's not to like? And then you add in all the wonderful new neighbors we meet along the way!

Like some others, we do have some gypsy feet, and we scratch all our itches with this lifestyle. I cannot imagine any other way!

Mods - wouldn't this thread be better in the Full Timing section?

Tom,

I'm down to 10 months before we can go "long timing".  Your post on "why?" is required reading, and inspirational. We too want to see all of those things before we run out of time. Can't wait to get started.

Stan and Becky

Wow... really nice thread.  Bout 4 more years to get both kids out of college, find a smaller house for the home base, then it's plan for the "long time" adventure.  Love this thread...

jje1960 said:
Wow... really nice thread.  Bout 4 more years to get both kids out of college, find a smaller house for the home base, then it's plan for the "long time" adventure.  Love this thread...

When I told my parents that I was going to get a job and save for college so I could pay for it myself, they put a "For Sale" sign on the house the next day and off they went full-timing. They kept it up for 20+ years and continued part-timing until 2 years ago.

Wendy

Wendy said:
When I told my parents that I was going to get a job and save for college so I could pay for it myself, they put a "For Sale" sign on the house the next day and off they went full-timing. They kept it up for 20+ years and continued part-timing until 2 years ago.

Wendy
Yes Wendy, we are from the same school... Unfortunately, I've turned out to be very much different from how I grew-up!  My baseline is getting them through college, at least the first 4yrs anyway, just a challenge.  I've supported myself since before 18yrs old, done bailing hay, fast food, factory's, Military and Govt job, WZ's included.  Just want to give them better than I had.  Satisfaction of say'in... you got it better than I had it...

We're short-timers compared with many of the previous posters, but our experiences are along the lines of seilerbird's.  Nothing can compare to watching a black bear (up close) chowing down on fresh red berries or a bald eagle soaring above the Tetons.  The only thing we can add to this discussion is that we didn't want to be like so many people we know who listen to our adventures and say "I wish I had done that when I was able to."

We're not full-timers, we're about 3/4-timers. Right now we're sitting at Anza Borrego Desert State Park. We spent most of the day doing the same things we'd be doing if we were home in the stick house...geocaching, playing on the computer, cleaning house, going for walks....but we're doing them in a different place than we were 2 weeks ago. Next month we'll be doing the same things in another new place on the coast. We see different birds and different plants and different animals. We visit friends spread across the country. And we get to experience different kinds of weather (high wind warnings out for tonight here in southern California). You ask "why" do we do this lifestyle? Why not?

Wendy
Anza Borrego Desert State Park

Back
Top Bottom