New Freightliner SL Chassis

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gary RV_Wizard

Site Team
Freightliner Custom Chassis has introduced a new high-end motorhome chassis designated the SL. It is powered by the 13.0L Detroit Diesel DD13 engine, which boasts 500 hp and 1650 lb-ft of torque. The chassis also includes a ZF independent front suspension with 60 degree wheel cut,an  Allison 4000MH transmission, Bendix air disc brakes, the Smart Tire TPMS, and a built-in remote diagnostic system called Virtual Technician that "calls home" if a Check Engine condition occurs . Options include the Bendix Vorad Collision Warning system and a steerable XF tag axle.

Read more about it here:

http://rvdailyreport.com/news/id/16932/freightliner-introduces-sl-chassis

Wow...500hp ...& I've only got 190 ....shame I couldn't just pull my chassis out and replace w/that one...
Thanks for the up-date ..I enjoy dreaming and to own that some day is a dream ..sigh..... :(

Wow, that sounds like a killer chassis. I wonder how expensive coaches with that chassis will start at. I am somewhat confused by 2 components listed, tho I think that they are great. Didn't I hear that Detroit Diesel was getting out of the OTR engine business and Smart Tire was closing?

I can't wait to see what coach manufacturers have picked up this chassis.  It is the first "new" thing in the motorhome market that has peaked my interest in awhile. Within the smart tag axle there should be some pretty fancy boxes mounted on it.

Didn't I hear that Detroit Diesel was getting out of the OTR engine business and Smart Tire was closing?

Hadn't heard that about DD and it seems unlikely, since they are the designated Mercedes diesel distributor for the USA and a Daimler Benz subsidiary. But maybe they are going to be selling more MB diesels rather than designing and building their own? Dunno.  DD owns something like 27% of the Class 8 truck engine market, so they aren't exactly hurting for business.

Smart Tire was sold to Bendix Commercial Vehicle Systems, so they aren't going away either. Just a new corporate home.

Hadn't heard that about DD and it seems unlikely, since they are the designated Mercedes diesel distributor for the USA and a Daimler Benz subsidiary. But maybe they are going to be selling more MB diesels rather than designing and building their own? Dunno.  DD owns something like 27% of the Class 8 truck engine market, so they aren't exactly hurting for business.

What I kind of remember was that, like CAT, DD didn't want to invest all that was required to meet ongoing diesel emission requirements. CAT had a sizable chunk of the OTR market also, which they are forfeiting. Something out of MB sounds reasonable.

Back
Top Bottom