What is the strangest comment anyone made to you upon arrival at an RV park?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SargeW

Site Team
What happened to me today when I arrived at the Oasis RV park in Las Vegas inspired me to start this thread. I pulled into my site and was on the drivers side hooking up the water.  A MH from Oregon is parked next to me on that side.

The neighbor opens his door and the following exchange occurred.  Him- "Hey, you seen my chicken out here?  Me- What?  Him, My chicken. I got a chicken out here.  Me- Really?  Him- Yeah. Maybe my kid has the chicken. I hope it didn't run off.  Me- Uh, sure. Sorry, no kids or chickens out here.  Him- OK, thanks.  (Door closes.)

Me, What the heck just happened?  Did I drive to Vegas or Hooterville......

This may not be "strange", but I enjoyed it.

At the Good Sam Rally in Redmond, Oregon this last summer, I stepped out of our 5th Wheel RV, wearing my usual boots, Stetson, Levis, shirt and Glad Rag.

A little girl and her mother, who were parked next to us, looked at me. The little girl smiled at me and asked "are you a Cowboy"?

The Mother looked a little embarrassed until I told the litle girl, Yes (although I am 80 years old and not a "boy" anymore). Then I informed the mother and girl that they were invited to visit with my wife and me in our RV and we would show them some photos taken on our ranch. We had supper with the mother, father and little girl and learned that they were from Pittsburg, PA. Now the little girl, and her parents are happy that they met a "real Cowboy". And my wife got to explain to them what it's like living on a ranch almost 70 miles from the nearest city.

No chickens, but I have had a fellow camper ask me if I'd seen his potbellied pig wandering around. Apparently it had slipped it's rope. I did see it later while walking my dog, but it was back in captivity by then. I'd guess it's weight was about 150 lbs.

SargeW said:
What happened to me today when I arrived at the Oasis RV park in Las Vegas inspired me to start this thread. I pulled into my site and was on the drivers side hooking up the water.  A MH from Oregon is parked next to me on that side.

The neighbor opens his door and the following exchange occurred.  Him- "Hey, you seen my chicken out here?  Me- What?  Him, My chicken. I got a chicken out here.  Me- Really?  Him- Yeah. Maybe my kid has the chicken. I hope it didn't run off.  Me- Uh, sure. Sorry, no kids or chickens out here.  Him- OK, thanks.  (Door closes.)

Me, What the heck just happened?  Did I drive to Vegas or Hooterville......
omg... definitely funny.  I would have asked... what you having over there for cocktails?  got any more?

We have seen our share of funnies, big 'chunky' guy in all his glory n' fruit of the looms (only) being towed around in the mud by a pickup one year in Martinsville at the race comes to mind.... Also... one year at Richmond was setting up our satellite tripod with the meter... guy next to us is fiddling with his dish mounted up on his ladder... he looked down at me and said.. what you aint a betting man? (referring to the rf meter) then he's yelling to his wife "is it there yet?".... what he didn't know is she was walking down the road visiting, fed-up with the ordeal.  Best part of this story is the following year, we saw this guy again when we were setting up... doing the same thing.... :eek:

Makes you wonder how many families are living out of their RVs because of the economy? I saw evidence of it when I was at a RV park in N.C. for a week earlier this year.  :(  I'm sure the warmer climate States would be more appealing.

Scott

A few years ago we were checking into a state campground in Colorado.  While were at the check=in station, the ranger got a call from a camper that was concerned when the next door camper came out with a huge boa constrictor on his shoulders.  The excited camper asked if there was anything the ranger could do about as they were worried about their small dog.  The ranger did a quick check of the regulations and said the only restrictions was that all pets had to be on a leash.  I don't know if they put a leash on their snake.  We never saw it.

I was asked if that was my Dads motorhome. They explained that only 80 year olds have big motorhomes like mine and they couldn't imagine that it was mine. (I'm 54)

Ken

Vomedy routine, not sure who, I thnk Jeff Foxworthy.  Said he was registering in Las Vegas, August, was asked if he would be using his air conditioner. 

Since I tow a 17' Fiberglass "egg", it is unusual when I don't get a strange comment arriving at a RV Park!

bucks2 said:
I was asked if that was my Dads motorhome. They explained that only 80 year olds have big motorhomes like mine and they couldn't imagine that it was mine. (I'm 54)

Ken

I get that often as well.  There aren't many people my age (28) with travel trailers.

Not at a campground, but once when we were passing through California's ag inspection station, the guy was looking down at the ground, spewing out his memorized shpeel and asked if we had any live animals. Our black lab, Rico, was behind Mike with his head hanging out the window. We just waited until the guy finally looked up, with his nose 3 inches from Rico's nose, and said "oh, have a nice day."

Wendy

That's funny! It would have been funnier if Mike had said "nope".  I went through the Ag inspection today on the way from Vegas to Laguna beach.  I was wondering what the guy with the chicken is going to tell the Ag guy.......

SargeW said:
That's funny! It would have been funnier if Mike had said "nope".  I went through the Ag inspection today on the way from Vegas to Laguna beach.  I was wondering what the guy with the chicken is going to tell the Ag guy.......

Or the gal with the bunnies !!

ag inspection = agricultural inspection. You'll pass through one any time you enter California. They'll ask where you've been and if you're carrying certain plants or foods (fruits). See here.

Tom said:
ag inspection = agricultural inspection. You'll pass through one any time you enter California. They'll ask where you've been and if you're carrying certain plants or foods (fruits). See here.

And sometimes they'll ask you if you have any live animals :)  And sometimes, they just wave you thru and say "have a nice day."

The Republik of Kalifornia.  First time thru for us, I thought I took a wrong turn and was hitting Mexico.  Didn't know about the inspection stations.

"Is that yours?  .... it's a Monster! "    "I got to call Mom ... that's a Monster!"

"OK ... go down the second row and if you can find one you can get in ... come back and see me .... I got to call Mom !"

Ok ... so I did that ... found one and came back.  It was a little snug and I had a small audience across the way but it fit, even if only one slide useable.

Turns out "Mom" has been running the campground for years and probably knew what would fit in every site, but son covering the desk wasn't so sure!

We were at a Corp of Engineer campground in Cross Lake MN.  ;D

Attachments

• 2010-0819-Tori-Crosslake-1.jpg
    2010-0819-Tori-Crosslake-1.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 61
  • 2010-0819-Tori-Crosslake-2.jpg
    2010-0819-Tori-Crosslake-2.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 53
  • 2010-0819-Tori-Crosslake-3.jpg
    2010-0819-Tori-Crosslake-3.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 61
Back