Warning! Severe winds and snow to hit NM!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ZuniJayne

The National Weather Service has issued winter storm watch for large portions of New Mexico.

High east winds will start today, with snow accumulations beginning tonight.  Travel will be especially affected later today (Thursday) through the weekend.  East winds with gusts in excess of 60 mph are expected and will affect travel in most of the eastern (and possibly western) part of the state.

http://forecast.weather.gov/showsigwx.php?warnzone=NMZ522&warncounty=NMC057&firewxzone=NMZ107&local_place1=Moriarty+NM&product1=Winter+Storm+Watch

If you are near Moriarty, NM,  I-40 exits 197, State Route 41, and 194 are good places to weather out a storm.  There are truck stops an restaurants on both the west and east ends of town, and fuel is actually cheaper than most of Albuquerque.  It has lots of various restaurants and a small town grocery store on the west end.  There is also a small library just off the main road that has free wifi.

Moriarty has no currently open RV Park, but there is plenty of free parking in town.  If you need to have hookups, the nearest place is Route 66 RV park in east Edgewood, a few miles west of Moriarty.  It has new owners and has been cleaned up a lot since those bad reports in RV Park Reviews.

Tom, if this needs to be cross-posted, please do.

OMG - I am sure glad I cancelled my New Mexico reservations and went to California instead.

Tom, California is not much better.  Inyokern on the #395/#14 area near Ridgecrest had 95 mph wind gust last night.  It blew trees down and took roofs off of some buildings.  LA got hit hard with winds and had lots of downed trees.  Kernville where I live east of Bakersfield up in the Sierras is only getting to 45 degrees today with lows below freezing.

Marsha~

Marsha/CA said:
Tom, California is not much better.  Inyokern on the #395/#14 area near Ridgecrest had 95 mph wind gust last night.  It blew trees down and took roofs off of some buildings.  LA got hit hard with winds and had lots of downed trees.  Kernville where I live east of Bakersfield up in the Sierras is only getting to 45 degrees today with lows below freezing.

Marsha~

You are correct, Marsha, many parts of California is having severe weather. However it is a whole lot warmer here where I am then it is where I was suppose to be.

High wind warnings for the entire southwest until 9:00 p.m. tonight, Thursday.  The mountains around Las Vegas have snow on them, even the lower Black Hills southeast of town.

ArdraF

High winds must be widespread throughout California.  A niece near Rancho Cucamonga posted pictures on Facebook of downed trees in her neighborhood and a grandniece in Sacramento was also complaining of wind damage.  We're having sunshine and cold temps here in Oregon.

Margi

Wow and hubby said I should have stayed a week longer, we would have been right in the middle of that.  I guarantee you I could not drive in those winds.  That sounds terrible, everyone needs to be careful.

I can feel the chill in the wind here this evening.  It was in the 70's today and now its to get cold the rest of the week here too.

96 MPH east of Salt Lake last night but the snow hit Cedar City last night and is continuing thru sat. 32 for the high with 8 at night.>>>Dan (Right now winds are north at 17 with temp. at 30))

[quote author=Tom and Margi]High winds must be widespread throughout California.[/quote]

Yep Margi, high winds here in the Delta too.

We've been avoiding taking I-40 west from Albuquerque, NM to get to Mesa, AZ the past few years and glad we did that again this year. 

We started out yesterday from near Taos, NM and took I-25 south from Albuquerque through Hatch, NM to west I-10 and stayed in Deming, NM last night and made it to Mesa today.  The winds were kicking up dust clouds on I-10 today but it really didn't affect our driving that much.  Rain required using our windshield wipers once today for about a minute.  Didn't see it rain harder than a sprinkle all day.

We did the Laughlin, NV to Las Vegas run yesterday.  Winds a constant 25 to 30 with gusts to 50 to 55.  I was concerned about blowing dust north of Searchlight.  Didn't have to worry as the SNOW kept the dust in check.  Knew we should have left a day earlier when we woke up to rain in Bullhead City.  Could only do 45 mph maximum to stay within my comfort zone.  We arrive with all our awnings and slide toppers in tact.  Along with another 100,000 people expected to arrive this weekend.  Everyone be careful out there.  December is here with a vengeance.

We dodged a bullet here in Anza Borrego. A few miles away, LA got beat up big time with the wind but all we had here was some 35 mph gusts on Wednesday with nothing last night. Luck was here in the valley.

Wendy

maverickbbd said:
We did the Laughlin, NV to Las Vegas run yesterday.  Winds a constant 25 to 30 with gusts to 50 to 55.  I was concerned about blowing dust north of Searchlight.  Didn't have to worry as the SNOW kept the dust in check.  Knew we should have left a day earlier when we woke up to rain in Bullhead City.  Could only do 45 mph maximum to stay within my comfort zone.  We arrive with all our awnings and slide toppers in tact.  Along with another 100,000 people expected to arrive this weekend.  Everyone be careful out there.  December is here with a vengeance.

We were in Bullhead City Monday night, Hawthorne NV on Tuesday, and home in Southern Oregon on Wednesday. I though the driving in NV was bad on Wednesday, now I realize we were extremely lucky on our timing!

We don't have wind but here north of Houston supposed to be 26 tonight, it was last night and was not supposed to get that cold.  BRRRRR

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lmw
Back
Top Bottom