Sequence of Roof recoat

• Thread starter PatrioticStabilist
  • Start date
The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
He had been teasing me all day about how much more that he knew about fixing things then me, (which is true, but hey I can't admit that to him!) so I just had to get him after this happened.

No he was not a happy camper because it was looking real good and does on all the rest of it. But he is pretty laid back and doesn't get upset over to much, just kind of goes with the flow.  We are going to let it set up before we mess with it any more.  That is pretty good stuff it filled that alligatoring really good, I was surprised. 

Honestly we are happy this happened on the primer and not the rubber roof, we would have been pretty sick.

I think this stuff might work pretty good afterall, will withhold judgement till its all done and cured.

This is a picture, you can see some stuck plastic above the awning.  I didn't take a picture of the other side.  I'm having trouble downloading anything.  I can't figure out the new deal the "system" is trying to make me use. 

What a mess trying to get this off my camera chip.

Doesn't seem to me it should be so shiny when its only a primer??

I can't get it to work, I saw it and thought I downloaded it and saved it, but I guess not.

I had an excellent working picture system then got a forced "new improved" download and it doesn't work at all, sigh.

Edit: Removed attachment with zero file size.

Looks like your picture didn't upload cleanly. Please try re-uploading.

TIA.

Mine says can't display picture because file is empty.

I fiddled with that thing for a couple of hours trying to figure it out.  I think it has to do with the new printer somehow and overrode my previously very easy to use software.

[quote author=PatrioticStabilist]Mine says can't display picture because file is empty.[/quote]

Right, it has a zero file size. I'll go ahead and delete that one, and maybe you can upload a 'clean' one when it's convenient.

Thanks Tom I will try again to figure it out soon as I have time. 

Working on year end taxes and other things now, got to play catch up.  My Tom had to head out to the little rent house we are building to do some work so things are coming to a halt  on the motorhome again.

I guess he just had to give the carpenter some guidance for today so he got back earlier.

He took an orbital sander and sanded the loose plastic off.  He said if it was firmly imbedded he didn't bother it.  He got most of it off looks like to me. It's so super thin I don't think it will hurt.

Then he is going to recoat about 8 inches down each side.  That we were going to have to do anyway because from the top and with a brush it is rather light. 

So with me picking it off and him getting it off with the sander not the fiasco we first thought it was.  Of course, not extra work we chose to do.  I need to take pics so when I get this working again I can post them.

Man are we fortunate this happened only to the primer and not the final coat, whew!

Hubby had to go to the new rent house and build a couple of access doors today, one to the water heater and one on the furnace, for some reason the carpenter didn't??  Then put in a piece of drywall in the top of the furance closet which was cut out by the installer, why??  Probably didn't have a big hole saw for the pipe most likely, sigh.

Tomorrow he is going to recoat the 2 sides about 8 inches up where he sanded off the plastic. It's to be in the 70's tomorrow.  Didn't get hardly anything done on it this trip, was just to cold and he had to many things to do.  He leaves again Wednesday.

I am going to remake 4 lampshades, can't buy them anyplace and they are pretty old and discolored, very yellow looking.  Also even though I couldn't find some close to these I was shocked to see they are easily $40 each or more.  I ordered the supplies and deconstructed one to see how much of a job and also to have a pattern.  These only have a bottom and top wire so hope the materials are ridgid.  I soaked the hoops to get the rest of the paper off, didn't take long. To be seen how that works out.

I took the medicine cabinet out, the top of the frame has rust on the gold and some on some of the shelves.  But its a very sturdy cabinet and has a beveled mirror which has no discoloration or anything so I'm going to sand and clean the gold and use rustoleum on it.  They have gold and silver colors now.  I thought about new but about the only way to find something that would fit the frame and the recess would be make a wood one.

The small light bar above has some rust on the cover, the inside and rest of it is in like new condition so going to try and sand that off with his orbital sander too.  Then paint it gold color.  Think the towel racks and swing arm lamps are brass, going to clean with brasso and see.

We took the AC's off and the newer are smaller I know so ordered something called Instagone and going to clean there to get that dirt off the ceiling, I'm assuming its ozite.  I've read its really really good stuff, I may just go over the whole ceiling with it.  I washed and resewed hems in the windshield curtains but not putting any of that back up till new AC's are put in. 

We covered the holes where the skylights go with stapled up cardboard to keep debris out and I covered the carpets with temporary carpet protectant plastic.  It's like a huge roll of scotch tape acutally.  Hubby wants to put the rubber roof coating on before reinstalling the skylights, sounds good to me.

So lots to do. 

He said if he is done on this project next time home he will have time to do it all.

He also wants to take the motorhome to a cummins engine place and have the valves adjusted and the engine checked over, whatever that means??

He is telling me at 120,000 miles that it is time for certain routine maintenance to be done on a diesel engine, nothing I know about. 

We got lucky today.  It got 78 so we recoated each side 8 inches or so up where Tom sanded off any of the plastic not imbedded.  Tomorrow supposed to be in the 70's so we plan to put the liquid roof on.  It's to drop to 39 tomorrow night but it states it won't hurt it, it just won't continue curing till it gets back above 50.  This way Tom feels it will have 10 weeks to cure good before he gets back home.  He said then in March he will put the AC's on and the new dome satellite.

Today he taped the plastic down really well, then after we got done in about an hour we pulled it all off.  No sticking to anything this time.  And the wind was blowing pretty good.

Tomorrow we will retape it again.     

Todays the day for us.  It sprinkled some this morning.  The only issue with that is we want to get the motorhome out from cover so we can stand up and coat it, much easier then on the knees doesn't bother me but it kills hubbies knees.

He is going to retape it to keep material off the sides. You put it on with a squeege and short nap roller and a brush.  But you initially just pour it on the roof.  It sounds like it has a 4 hour work time which is more then enough. 

Also it says a cure time of 7 to 14 days depending on temperature.  It's in the 70's now so I think it will be great.  We both agree letting it cure for the 10 weeks he will be gone likely won't hurt it before we are up walking around on it.  We are both glad it got and is staying warm enough to get this done.

We just finished or I should say Tom is putting the finishing touches on it.  I can tell you that is quite a job.  Also do not believe 4 hours of setup time Tom said more like 2 1/2.  We kept it covered and only took out 2 gallons or so at a time,but felt it was thickening some so worked as fast as we could and stay neat. 

Also we are taking all our tape off, we do not want anymore plastic "wrap" jobs out there. We are leaving it on a few more minutes before removing it.

We had 74 degree temps would not want to do it in any hotter weather.  We pulled it out from under the cover to be able for hubby to stand, but we got a couple of sprinkles and leaves so moved it some back under.  They quit and we backed the back end back out and worked it and moved it under every 5 foot or so just in case but it ended up being a beautiful day.

Now we will let it cure not only the called for 7 to 14 days.  It will sit for 10 weeks and we feel that should cure it thoroughly no matter how hot or how cold.

It is to get 76 today and 38 tonight, what a drop but in the 60's and 70's the rest of the week so good drying weather for it.

I see why they charge so much to do it, its a lot of work.

I looked at the roof late last night and it had leveled more.  Tom pulled it out so it can sit in the sun all day we are going to do that on real warm sunny days for awhile.  Well it doesn't just look good, it looks great.  Have to go get a ladder and climb up and look at it.  But from what I can see it really looks good.

I went out and looked up on top and I see one run I missed by the refrigerator vent not air conditioner vent.  I'm not bothering it, it will just be there.  It's on the white so won't be all that noticeable.

Turned the furnace on to warm it up inside.  I keep finding more little goodies, we have surround sound in it I just found out.

Also I see from the literature we have vertical tanks, gray water, black, not sure.  And also found the tanks both fresh water and other are heated.

I'm like a kid at Christmas that just keeps finding little things I like.

But I think we did good on the roof.

I'm not going to know for some time how good it will run down the road or anything.  I know it starts first turn on the key and no smoke.  All I know about diesels is that's good. I've only had it out running about 70 miles once.  After that I started cleaning stuff off the roof so couldn't take it. I need to take some pictures and see if I can post them from his laptop, he said I could probably get an adapter for mine.  I still can't figure out what took over my very good photo download software on this computer.

He was looking up the Cummins repair facility today. There appears to be only one very large one in Houston, bet that takes forever to get in and forever to get it back. But we have to get everything on top of course before that can happen so will be next time home.  I know he won't let Sue Anne and I take off in it till he feels everything is good to go in it.  He is so dang, slow, and methodical sometimes it drives me crazy.  I'm more impulsive.  I suppose he keeps me out of trouble!! 

Today he fertilized my garden, tilled it, and is putting up a new gate post that rotted at the bottom.  So guess who is putting out onion sets probably tomorrow.  I'm going to get straw to cover them.  I asked him if he would do it before he leaves today. I know its a bit early and it will be a 2 to 3 more weeks before these plants are ready to set out so not happening right now. I'm not putting out as big a garden this year want to can but still have some from last year so need to use them first.  I have went to about all heirloom seeds this year, will see how that goes.

I also have my tomato and all kinds of seeds planted in trays in the house and they are all up.  So I have plenty to keep me busy till we can go somewhere.  I will just say at least June then I won't be dissappointed.

While he is gone, I'm going to clean and maybe put tung oil on the wood inside or stain some of it, its honey maple, I found the door panel with all the colors listed for everything on it, both outside and inside.  I cleaned wasps nests and mud daubers nests out of the second furnace.  Going to buy the wasp covers for all the appliance openings, there were none there.  Going to blow the furnace area out good but they both are now running quiet.  I turn them on and let them run awhile every once in awhile. 

Ok, Tom helped and we found a way to bypass the software forced on me.

So here's a couple of pictures of the roof, as its warmed up it has leveled more today.  I do see some places on the side of runs.  I will clean off the trim piece but not till everything is dried.  On the front I will just take a razor scraper of some mineral spirits and get any off the trim piece.

But with the alligatoring in the front I think it looks darn good.  I need my tall tall ladder so I can take a photo from above. 

Attachments

• DSC01325.JPG
    DSC01325.JPG
    47.9 KB · Views: 55
  • DSC01326.JPG
    DSC01326.JPG
    54.1 KB · Views: 58
Was very sick today so did nothing really, fine now,  just a bit weak think I ate something yesterday that did not agree with me, hopefully hubby didn't would be miserable flying.

I got the Instagone stain remover so tried it

One time spraying on the mattress
2nd time, plan to one more time  its a nice mattress that had a stain, actually its the original one.

Picture of front half of motorhome roof from above, didn't get it out today

Tom said the pail said we could have thinned the liquid roof, kind of wonder if we should have, see some brush marks in it.  But its good, hard now and I think it will give us a waterproof roof for a long time.

I also sprayed that spray on my shower curtain in the house, I have trouble keeping mold off it and it took it off.  It's very strong, going to use a respirator and gloves if I use it again in the motorhome.  Also cleaned a spot off the carpet on the step.  I'm sure its the original carpet too and it cleaned off. 

Attachments

• Mat 1.JPG
    Mat 1.JPG
    45.7 KB · Views: 33
  • Mat 2.JPG
    Mat 2.JPG
    40.9 KB · Views: 30
  • Roof from above.JPG
    Roof from above.JPG
    38.6 KB · Views: 39
Back
Top Bottom