Playing a musical instrument in a campground - okay or not?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RunsWithScissors

One of the items on my retirement "to do" list is to take up playing the first woodwind I learned: the flute. I'm wondering how my playing might be received by fellow RVers. Anyone have any experiences they'd like to share?

(By the way, my question presumes that I would practice inside the trailer and only during hours when most people would be expected to be awake, something in the 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. range.)

I remember sitting in a campground in Colorado listening to a lady sitting outside playing a flute.  Of course, she wasn't just learning - in fact she played quite well.  I think that had she continued playing for hours or simply played poorly that it would have gotten irritating, but her hour of music, along with the pretty location was actually quite nice.

Tell you what, it sure beat some of the loud radio playing we've put up with from fellow campers through the years.

I say: proceed, but cautiously.

In a campground in Ohio, the guy in the campsite next to us was playing a guitar softly. It was quiet and relaxing and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Much better than a boombox playing loud music.

Personally, I'm a fan of bagpipe.  But, in general, that might be a step too far.  Oboe is also wonderful.  Basically, as long as it's acoustic and not electrically amplified, most people will be fine with your music as long as you observe reasonable hours.  You might even attract some fellow musicians who'd like to jam!

Unless you are very good at it and play something I like, no it is not  alright.

A couple of times we have been to state parks and two or three people were a few sites down the way playing acoustic guitars and banjos, under the awning.  Bluegrass, country, classical.  Some even sang a tune or two.  Quite well thank goodness. ;D  Among the the trees on a nice afternoon and/or evening it was nice.  They never played too long.  Really enjoyed it.  Give it a whirl. Keep to a reasonable hour, not too long a session and not loud. 

Suggestion 1. If people complain about your music, then put your generator on, which is acceptable and allowable on a campground and play using that to cover the sound!
Suggestion 2. Buy a banjo and place it on a stand next to you. Most people will be too busy waiting to complain when you play the banjo to worry about a flute.
Suggestion 3. Play naked - no one will notice the flute.

In high school, college, and Navy Drum Bugle corps I played trumpet and a one valve bugle. A few years back I bought the same year and model horn off of eBay that my folks bought for me in high school (50's vintage) by the F.E. Olds brass co.  Though over a half century old, once I had it retored it plays better than one of the originals.

I began "come back" trumpet lessons but due to some health stuff had to delay that - but am now beginning again. Of course, as a full time RVer, neighbors for sure would not like the scale work one must do to build the lips and technique. So I purchased a muting system by Yamaha called SILENT BRASS.

The sound is completely silenced, but amplified through a headset -- or sent to a recorder or external speakers. The sound in my headset is as close to original trumpet sound as one could imagine. Looking at the link above you can see the variety of stuff one can do with this mute.

Unfortunately, I have not heard of such a muting system for woodwind instruments . . .

One morning I got on the shuttle bus at Yosemite and the driver had his two kids pull out their musical instruments so they could practice ON THE BUS. The little girl played a synthesizer that was not too loud. The son played a trumpet that was way too loud. I got off at the next stop and called his supervisor. You have not lived until you have heard a beginning trumpet player on a bus.

Hillside Bluegrass RV Park in Cochran, Georgia (central Georgia just east of Macon) welcomes musicians.  There are weekly get togethers and the park even hosts bluegrass festivals in May and September.

Here's a link to the park:  http://www.hillsidebluegrassrvpark.com/Home

Hal Schell, a legendary CA Delta river rat who lived full time aboard his boat, played his bugle every morning. This went on for many years, but I'm not aware that anyone complained. It was considered part of the ambiance of the Delta. Regrettably, Hal passed away on June 9, 2006 and nobody has stepped forward to play the bugle.

I know what fastrack100 means about a banjo -- my husband plays.  Unless it's a bluegrass festival, he needs to be very discrete to avoid being very irritating (he mostly is).  Sometimes, campgrounds will have a pavillion or other gathering place a bit away from the campers that may be an option.  But a flute tends to be pretty quiet if you practice inside.  If you're feeling shy, close all the windows and turn on the a.c. for the duration of your playing.

Tom said:
Hal Schell, a legendary CA Delta river rat who lived full time aboard his boat, played his bugle every morning. This went on for many years, but I'm not aware that anyone complained. It was considered part of the ambiance of the Delta. Regrettably, Hal passed away on June 9, 2006 and nobody has stepped forward to play the bugle.

Have on a number of occasions done taps, Tom -- but doubt I would have the nerve to wake folk up with reveille.  :)  For many years in my home town in KY a fellow trumpet player and I played taps at the town cemetery on Memorial day. One would play at the site and the other some distance away played the echo. Was asked once in an RV park a long time ago to play taps at the time the park designated as the beginning  overnight quite time. I refused as some folks do not want someone reminding them in any way what time it is and that it is time to shut down their gensets or turn off their stereo. OTOH, the 24 notes of taps is very meaningful and soothing to most folks.

At the FMCA rally in Farmington NM, every night someone plays taps at 10 pm. I always turn off the TV when I hear it playing and listen. I love hearing it....wonder if it's a carryover from my Army days?

Wendy

seilerbird said:
You have not lived until you have heard a beginning trumpet player on a bus.

Yikes, I can imagine, Tom. Small space with zero acoustics or talent. Actually, most instruments sound pretty bad until the player gains a degree of talent -- but on a bus even a talented player could mess up ones ear drums.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MtnRV
Back
Top Bottom